Christianity in a nutshell?

by gaiagirl 25 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

"The belief that a jewish Zombie who can make you live forever in paradise if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree".

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

• Robdar
    Robdar

"The belief that a jewish Zombie who can make you live forever in paradise if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree".

Not really. It might describe JW's though.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

gaiagirl

It pretty much sums you up!

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

It does in a way 'pretty much' sum it up (at least for most of Christianity), but in a way even I'm not too keen on. It creates division more than it makes people think. But I suspect it is written using that particular wording because the usual words used to describe it all have become so ingrained in us and our culture, that only by substituting them with these kinds of alternative - albeit derogatory or ridiculing - words, can we see the absurdity of it from outside the box. But a little too harsh for me. I mean - I can personally laugh at its sarcasm, but I can understand that people's feelings are hurt by it as well.

Another thing is that anything can be summed up in a similar way, but it wouldn't be accurate. Creationists could for instance say that "A blob of goo turned into a cell, which turned into a fish, which turned into a reptile, which turned into a mammal, which turned into an ape, which turned into us." would 'pretty much sum up evolution' (and show how absurd it was), but it wouldn't be accurate or true.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That we are inherently evil people that need someone to give us all the instruction, tell us what to think and do, and control our ideas. Of course, there is one person that is capable of saving us IF we are willing to follow a few rules and sacrifice time, money, and energy to some religious leader.

This is common to all Christian denominations. True, some are more ridiculous than others (the Watchtower Society is extreme, and they substitute the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger for Christ, and they focus too much on the rules and the sacrifice). But all of them distort Christ's real intended message--which is freedom of thinking on one's own. Notice that the truth was supposed to set one free, not bind one to a bunch of mandatory traditions, celebrations, observations, and/or sacrifice. Nor was a small group of people supposed to get rich off the backs of those in the membership.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to be a true Christian--that is, anyone other than Christ himself. Christ himself would have felt defeated if his followers tried to imitate him in every little way, since he was trying to get them to think on their own rather than do their thinking for them.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Gaiagirl - I can't wait for the movie of your version. Sounds wild.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Robdar and Deputy Dog:

What part of gaiagirl's post was not an accurate description of Christianity?

• nvrgnbk
  • Tuesday
    Tuesday

That would be a fair description were it not for the fact that Jesus is the Lord Almighty.

That fact changes everything.

Kneel before the Lord!

All's fair in love and war...but not in Christianity.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Kneel before the Lord? Feel his Love? Isn't that what some child abusers say to their victims?

(And I'm totally serious, not intending that as a joke in any way, shape, or fashion).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit