Christianity in a nutshell?

by gaiagirl 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher
    talking beavers

How did the Oregon State debate team get into this discussion?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

So you've actually read it? The whole thing?

Good god, no! Why would I put myself through that? While I'm sure it's not all as wretchedly embarrassing as his "lord, liar or lunatic" argument, nothing I've read of Lewis's work suggests that he has anything more convincing to offer. Assuming you disagree, perhaps you could share some of his better points before I shell out for his book...

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

BurnTheShips:

Good god, no! Why would I put myself through that? While I'm sure it's not all as wretchedly embarrassing as his "lord, liar or lunatic" argument, nothing I've read of Lewis's work suggests that he has anything more convincing to offer. Assuming you disagree, perhaps you could share some of his better points before I shell out for his book...

No need to shell out your hard earned $$$.

How C.S. Lewis helped me to see Christianity for the joke that it is

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Good god, no! Why would I put myself through that?

lol, my reaction to the first couple of chapters as well.

Here I was, only a few months out of the Watchtower, being told by the most scrumptious and spiritual-but-not-religious worldly girl that I "just have to read CS Lewis' Mere Christianity", because it was an out-of-the-box look at God and the bible by a real skeptic, and would really help me solve my own questioning.

I recognized his "logic" as laughable within the first chapter, because I'd already, just in the short process of leaving the borg, tried the same "logic" on myself and found it long on baseless assumptions and short on skepticism.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I recognized his "logic" as laughable within the first chapter, because I'd already, just in the short process of leaving the borg, tried the same "logic" on myself and found it long on baseless assumptions and short on skepticism.

Amen, Brother SixofNine.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

nvrgnbk:

Thanks for that!

Now that I've read it - OK, scanned it, I just couldn't stomach the whole thing - I find that the overwhelming cloying banality of it all is punctuated only by pockets of absurdity, and in fact the ludicrous trilemma I mentioned earlier is actually one of the least emetic passages.

BurnTheShips, have you actually read the whole thing? If so, why on earth would you recommend it? What's wrong with you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit