Interesting Banter on the Watchtower Comments Page

by V 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

oldseeker2....Welcome finally to JWD.....

"V"...As soon as BSS went into that mode of Jesus and the apostles I just new that a responder would come back with "white washed graves, Hypocrates, offspring of vipers. " Some people like BSS have no idea what they are up against.

Good Job once again V.

NMG

• TD
    TD
    Using his own logic, isn't he saying (at least implying) that JW's are proved to be Jesus' true disciples (the "B" in the causality model) becausethey are "preaching the good news" (the "A" in the causality model). He states this but presents no facts as to the truth of the statements, presents no evidence, and then wants to walk away from the discussion. I do believe he is really into 'labeling'.

Exactly!

He has also assumed that since the early Christians preached the "Good news" and since JW's preach the "Good news" :

What JW's preach = What the early Christians preached

Which does not necessarily follow at all. It's just more equivocation implicit in the argument, but unproven.

Perhaps he read a few (maybe dozens) of books on intellectualism and "now he are one" (sorry, this sounds like a label doesn't it?).

I've noticed (During the course of the last dozen years) that internet JW's are notorious for committing the same logical fallacies they accuse others of. I think the problem is no one ever becomes good at avoiding logical fallacies until they learn to suspend their own beliefs entirely. Logical arguments constructed for the express purpose of supporting preconceived notions almost always have problems.

• oldseeker2
    oldseeker2

Good comment TD.

In my simple mind it is the same difficulty we face when we attempt to read the Bible for ourselves without the preconceptions we have formed over many years as a JW. I have worked hard to read the Bible using many reference works and encyclopedias (not WT related). In all honesty, many things are shown to be correct or mostly correct understandings in the comparisons. But prophecy is not among these correct understandings. Fulfillment of prophecy in the pages of the Watchtower is self-serving at best. A review of the Revelation book is evidence enough of that!

oldseeker2

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I've noticed (During the course of the last dozen years) that internet JW's are notorious for committing the same logical fallacies they accuse others of. I think the problem is no one ever becomes good at avoiding logical fallacies until they learn to suspend their own beliefs entirely. Logical arguments constructed for the express purpose of supporting preconceived notions almost always have problems.

Well said.

False premises lead to false conclusions every time. If one presumes that a well always has water, a bucket of dust fails to convince them often. But a bucket of dust with a rattlesnake in it will often do the trick.

Jeff

• sspo
    sspo

Good job V

Give him time if he's reading, eventually he'll see the light as all of us did once we were esposed to

the Watchtower's lies.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    But in reality, just the same fault-finding drivel that's been going on for 100 years.

Sooo, for 100 years now, faults that you admit are there have not been corrected.

Definition of crazy: Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    BiblestudentSteve sounds like a "thirdwitness" type apologist

More like Grissom. I have a hunch.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    BiblestudentSteve sounds like a "thirdwitness" type apologist
    More like Grissom. I have a hunch.

He's a forensic entomologist ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest