"There Is A God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind"

by Open mind 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling
    OM can correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe that is actually the title of the book.

Lol, yeah- no kidding.

Read THEN Rant.

[inkling]

• Spook
    Spook

After reading the NYT article for a second time I was reminded how much I hate Christians. I remember the stomach churning mewings given out by Jehovah's Witnesses to elderly people and the mentally challenged in the ministry, disrupting their family lives to score a point for their own little God. I'm incensed again at the ID'ers for the decade of spiraling lies I'm going to have to put up with. You all know this will go from:

1. Anthony flew is an Aristotelean Deist.

2. Anthony flew believes in God.

3. Anthony flew is a Christian.

You know they'll be saying this for years. It took decades for the lies spread about Darwin's death bed conversion to be largely overturned. I've heard fools use that in public debates despite numerous interviews and biographies that include the never ending testimony of those who were actually there when he died. Feeding lies to the gullible is immoral.

• inkling
    inkling
    If people think God is interesting, the onus is on them to show that there is anything there to talk about. Otherwise they should just shut up about it.

Strangely enough, this quote (which I trace back to a flash intro for the pro-ID movie "Expelled")
    has no actual source attached. Now, while I agree that this opinion in not clearly in conflict with
    where Dawkins may stand on the issue, it does seem suspiciously sensational.

Also, I find it interesting that I find it on only on forums or in informal and amateurish criticisms of Dawkins. I think it is fair to ask for proof that he even said it.
    ... a misogynistic homophobic racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal….

Indeed he DID say this, and unapologetically so.
    Too bad the Bible made the same claims first.
    The writers of the OT were clearly PROUD that their god was a genocidal bad-ass. Every one of those unpleasant labels are accurate descriptions of the god of the bible. That is your problem, not Dawkins. [inkling]
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Also, I find it interesting that I find it on only on forums or in informal and amateurish criticisms of Dawkins. I think it is fair to ask for proof that he even said it.

From a pro-atheist site: http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/dawkins.htm It is all over the net. Supposedly he said it to the producers of "Expelled".
    Every one of those unpleasant labels are accurate descriptions of the god of the bible. That is your problem, not Dawkins.

How is that my problem? One more quote from Dawkins:
    To describe religions as mind viruses is sometimes interpreted as contemptuous or even hostile. It is both.

Pretty biased. Burn

• steve2
    steve2

I am looking forward to Jehovah God's new book out this spring, publisher as yet unknown. His book's got a similarly simplistic and riveting title: "There Is No God: How The World's Most Notorious Creator Changed His Mind".

• inkling
    inkling
    How is that my problem?

It's only your problem if you are defending the god of the Bible. Are you? Dawkins is for sure more "biased" against the god of the Bible than say,
    the idea of a "deist" god of say, Jefferson.

One more quote from Dawkins:
    To describe religions as mind viruses is sometimes interpreted as contemptuous or even hostile. It is both.
    Pretty biased.

Ok, fine- he is biased. Kinda like me, being biased against say, slavery. Once you examine the evidence and come to a personal moral judgment of a idea or action, of COURSE you are going to be hostile towards it! Would you complain that abolitionists were not being "fair" to the idea of slavery? Dawkins has made a moral judgment that religion is dangerous and evil. You are free to challenge the evidence and reason this decision is BASED on, but I don't understand why you expect him to be respectful of an idea that his conscience finds repulsive. Once a juror makes a judgment, is it fair to complain that he is treating the accused as if they are a murderer? To be clear, I actually disagree with many of Dawkins ideas, INCLUDING the idea that religion is the root of all evil. I happen to feel he is somewhat mistaken. (I wish religion WAS the root of all evil. That is a more pleasent thought than the idea that evil can flourish quite well even without mythology) However, I understand why he feels the way he does, and I think his position is consistent and well within proper ethics. [inkling]

• inkling
    inkling
    It is all over the net.

Well then, it MUST be true!

[inkling]

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-Just wanted quickly to say that Dawkins has said that his 'tirade' against the old testament God in the God Delusion was meant in a humorous manner (hence the long list). That said, it shouldn't be too hard to find a scripture for each adjective.

I believe he says it was an attempt at humor in this video. I won't be able to post again until Monday (so you are free to slander me in the mean time ).

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

The worlds most notorious atheist?

Richard Dawkins? Carl Sagan? James Randi? Gene Roddenberry?

Sorry, but I never heard of Antony Flew before theists started acting like this was the biggest victory for God since the ten plagues. In fact, that seems to be the general consensus...

Maybe I should write a book:

"The Life of Lore: How the worlds most notorious theist became an atheist."

• inkling
    inkling
    so you are free to slander me in the mean time

woo hoo!

[inkling]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit