"There Is A God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind"

by Open mind 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Author's name is Anthony Flew.

This book was sitting right next to "The God Delusion" at the library, so in fairness to my username, I checked it out.

Haven't read anything but the cover flaps so far.

Anybody else read this yet?

OM

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Who would the worlds most notorious athiest be?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Whew!!! I thought we may have lost Nvr to the dark side!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Good question ML.

I'm assuming it's the ever-so-humble author of the book, Anthony Flew.

We all know it couldn't be some unknown like Richard Dawkins, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, etc.

OM

• Sirona
    Sirona

No doubt Jesus turned up wearing a dazzling white robe saying "You have been chosen! oh and I am not a figment of your imagination!"

Let us know.

Sirona

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Just looked it up on Amazon and he is talking about himself.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    We all know it couldn't be some unknown like Richard Dawkins, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, etc.

As much as I've read, Sagan openly concidered himself agnostic. But I've never heard of the author so HE couldn't be the world's most notorious atheist, unless of course he's secretly killed hundredes of people, eaten them and hidden their bones in other people's basements. Then I'd say he's definately the worlds most notorious atheist, but at least Jesus forgave him lol

Kwin

• Open mind
    Open mind

This quote on the back cover caught my eye:

"Flew is a distinguished philosopher whose position has been changed by force of argument about the significance of scientific discoveries. This engaging personal retrospective on Flew's philosophical pilgrimage illustrates that it is dangerous for an atheist to think too hard about his religious commitment -- he might become unconvinced."

Ian H. Hutchinson, professor and head of the department of nuclear science and engineering, MIT.

I don't really have my hopes up too high for this book, but if someone can give me a rational, logical reason to get my cosmic teddy bear back, that would be great.

Of course, with my luck, he/she/it will end up being a cosmic POLAR BEAR with a mean streak a mile wide, no sense of humor and a lust for revenge for perceived slights.

OM

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Thanks for that OM. I'd heard of this. I need to get a copy.

Here is more information on Flew:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Flew

Burn

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Sorry Open Mind, but just because you (and others like me) have never heard of him before, doesn't make him an unknown. He just travelled in different circles.

His pedigree in philosophy explains the recent media frenzy and controversy. Raised in a Christian home and son of a famous Methodist minister, Flew became an atheist at age 15. A student of Gilbert Ryle's at Oxford, Flew won the prestigious John Locke Prize in Mental Philosophy. He has written 26 books, many of them classics like God and Philosophy and How to Think Straight. A 1949 lecture given to C. S. Lewis's Oxford Socratic Club became one of the most widely published essays in philosophy. The Times Literary Supplement said Flew fomented a change in both the theological and philosophical worlds.

Flew taught at Oxford, Aberdeen, Keele, Reading, and has lectured in North America, Australia, Africa, South America, and Asia. The Times of London referred to him as "one of the most renowned atheists of the past half-century, whose papers and lectures have formed the bedrock of unbelief for many adherents."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/april/29.80.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit