Stuck in the "Truth"

by IMustBreakAway 41 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

80/20 rule most likely. Most likely 10% are faking it, and another 10% are zealots. 80% are just going with the flow.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

You're probably right. Wishfull thinking.

• Pickled
    Pickled

IMBA, what is your own personal worst case scenario? I mean if you just walked out, what is the worst that can happen. I can see that you feel that it would be worse than sucking it up and staying, but what is that thing that is worse? Is it the loss of your family?

• looloo
    looloo

i really feel for your situation , why dont you tell your family that some one on the doors asked you if you were in a cult and you said no but then checked out what a cult was for your return visit , show them what you found on how cults work.com and tell them how worried you are that jws fit the requirements and see what happens , i hope you gain your freedom one day

• oompa
    oompa

what is this....?1984 Revisited"..............oompa

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

You know I always wondered why anyone would become an apostate. If you don't believe it why waste time getting others to follow your ideas? After all that's what apostates do right- try to gain followings? (LOL ) Just move on with your lives you sons of Korah! Now I see an "apostate" is simply someone who knows something's not right. And some of them just want to help others see it. Others feel it's too risky to say anything.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

RE: to pickled.. Worst case? It's interesting, when i first started really mentally pulling away I convinced myself that it would hurt others if I left, and it wouldn't hurt me to stay. So by my own reckoning of what was "good and right" I couldn't hurt others on purpose if I could avoid it. Now the scales are starting to tip. Meetings are painful and I have stopped service all together. Others are starting to notice. I am probably just delaying the inevitable. Worst case really comes down to my mother and father crying, thinking they have lost their son, causing the whole family pain that I think I should be able to avoid causing them.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

RE: to oompa. LOL. There are quite a few Orwellian similarities to "The truth". Not Orwellian in the much overused surveillance vein but in the doublespeak, doublethink "super plus not good" kind of way.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

IMustBreakAway, your last post summed up my dilemma too. Someone recently said to me "is other people's happiness your responsibility?" and that struck home. At the moment it's easier to hurt myself than them though. Ironically it's kind of selfish really because I couldn't live with myself for the hurt it would cause if I left.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

Almost anything can be construed as selfishness. Mother Thersa was selfish because she got off on helping people. (as an obviously ignorant example). JW's go door to door to prove their faith, (so they don't die at armageddon..) I am having trouble convincing myself lately that I am doing any good sticking around. They will survive, and if my parents love me they will get over it. I could construe it anyway I want. Frankly.. (I know I have a MORAL obligation! tostand up for my beliefs, it is immoral to pretend to believe what is dangerous and wrong..) ((I like that one))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit