About me

by Bryce 34 Replies latest jw friends

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Just tell them the problems you have with JW's...and perhaps they have some answers. Don't get caught up with everything you see here. I am not a JW, yet I know there does not exist great truth somewhere else. Sure, I have some major problems with certain things about JW's, but I just can't help looking at the little things they do. You have to make the decision on your own though, and if its not for you, its not for you. Its not for me now either - but yet there is something that keeps me from cutting all connections.

• oompa
    oompa

Bryce, this is not as big a deal as it seems....it is not like a great girlfriend you are breaking up with....You can go easy..."It's just not for me right now (cause may parents so resent you guys) which even makes them feel like Satan has been attacking their student! Or you can just start asking great qustions found here or on jwfacts.com....Just asking them why they use the name Jehovah in Revelation where it never has a quote from the OT Hebrew scriptures should make them run in fear if they look into it. Do they even know that the name Jehovah does not even belong in the NT Christian Greek Scriptures because there is no evidence in the WORLD that it was ever there???...goodbye...oompa

• noni1974
    noni1974

Noni,

They are not your friends.

Unless you know Bryce and those people that is quite an assertion.

I've had hundreds of incredible, well meaning friends over my JW years.

And these hundreds of incredible, well meaning friends are still your friends now that you are not a jw??

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

How can you prove that the name Jehovah was not used in the NT? Since manuscripts do not exist old enough to prove anything conclusive on the matter, then the argument can me made both ways. The truth is that there are many ancient Christian churches who have the name Jehovah inscribed all over them - which are old enough. Since these are not Temples (or Jewish Establishments), ancient Christians must have thought there was some relevance to using the divine name - instead of Jesus. I will agree, based on my research, that the name Jehovah perhaps appears too often in the NWT.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Not the point Noni.

In his current situation, to just simply dismiss his friends as 'not real' is not necessarily accurate.

And, BTW, yes, a lot of my old truth friends are still friends despite my not being at a meeting since last Memorial.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll trot out an old piece of advice I use whenever a friend is faced with a tough decision. Make a pro-con list. Make two lists. One where you break the news to your new friends that you will not be joining their religion, and another where you will hide your true feelings and get baptized anyways. Draw a line down each piece of paper. List all the positive consequences of your decision (Pro), and all the negative consequences on the other (Con). Add up the pros and cons. What comes out on top?

I suspect you know how they will react when you reject their religion. They will take it as a rejection of them, too, won't it? They will make you feel bad for all the time they invested in you.

But I ask, a genuine friend, would they break everything off just because you decided to believe differently than they did? I have friends ranging from athiest all the way to Muslim. What I count of value is who they are as people, and I maintain a warm relationship with them all.

They also, don't keep score over who invested most in the relationship. That's shallow.

• noni1974
    noni1974

In his current situation, to just simply dismiss his friends as 'not real' is not necessarily accurate.

No they could be real friends. You know as well as I do that JW's live by the "bad associations spoil useful habbits". You know as well as I do any good JW who lives by this rule would not remain "friends" with someone they would see as rejecting Jehovah.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I capitulate with a caveat.

You are confusing the average ahole congregation member with many true JW friends that are really Christians.

• noni1974
    noni1974

You are confusing the average ahole congregation member with many true JW friends that are really Christians.

They are the same thing.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Okay.

Sorry for ya!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit