About me

by Bryce 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryce
    Bryce

I've been doing the home study with the JW's for almost a year now. I've never attended the Kingdom Hall meetings because I didn't want to -- I used my parents' objection as an excuse. But now I'm at a problem - I believe more as the Christadelphians believe, and I no longer want to do the study with the JW's I know. But you see, they've become friends,they're such nice people, and I don't know how to "break it off"... Any suggestions? --Bryce

• noni1974
    noni1974

Tell them the truth and you won't have to worry about breaking it off. They will do it for you.

• free2think
    free2think

Hey Bryce welcome to jwd.

I agree with noni, if you tell them the truth you'll be free.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Agreed!

Good advice.

• Bryce
    Bryce

I don't know...

I've invited them to basketball games, the whole family sat with me and had a great time.
    Frankie (the father) and I have had tons of awesome conversations about boating/watersports.
    They came to see our new house that was built. They had hamburgers with us, and Frankie & my dad talked sports.
    They're personal friends whom I know so well.

Plus... this whole time I've been telling them that when I graduate high school and move away, I'll start attending the meetings and eventually become baptized. It's only in the past 3 or 4 months that I've decided to not.

Seems I've buried myself in a massive pile of sh!t...
    What should I do???

• noni1974
    noni1974

They are not your friends. They see you as a bible study. A bible study can be hung out with as long as they continue to study with them. As soon as you stop studing you will see the other side of things. They will drop you like a bad habbit. As long as they think you will at some point convert they will love bomb you. It's a cult.

• Bryce
    Bryce

I think it all boils down to me not having the b@lls to call him up and end it... :-\

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Life is full of these difficult decisions. You need to just tell them the truth, that you do not want to be a JW or study with them anymore, but that you would love to keep a friendship up with them. You will then find out how deep they consider your friendship.

It is a lot easier to break it now rather than after baptism. A JW friendship is entirely conditional. If you got baptised and then chose to leave or were disfellowshipped, every single one of them would instantly stop being your friend.

• noni1974
    noni1974

You do know they are counting the time they spend with you, don't you?? They aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. You could always start making excuses for not being able to study that day. Keep doing it for long enough and they will stop calling you. Tell them you have too much home work or you have chores to do that you can't put off.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Noni,

They are not your friends.

Unless you know Bryce and those people that is quite an assertion.

I've had hundreds of incredible, well meaning friends over my JW years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit