Why can't US witnesses wish "good luck"?

by kifoy 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I've noticed that its common (at least in the areas I'm familiar with) for english-speaking latino witnesses to say "good luck" and use the word "lucky".

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I just posted on another thread earlier today:

I would always yell at people for being 'offended' by some one saying good luck. Here is how my arguemnt went:

What is wrong with saying good luck?

Reply: We don't beleve in The God of Good Luck.

Isn't there a God of Wine, and a God of Love? Do you believe in wine and love and do you use those words? What is the difference between "time and unforseen occourance" and "luck". "Luck" isn't a god's name so the word is ok to use. Do you use the word "weird"? (Yes, what's wrong with that?) The word "weird" comes from the name "Wyrd", who was one of the three Fates - or a false god. So when you say, "Wow, that was really weird", you are attributing those events to a a false god. So if you're going to tell me not to use words, make sure that you know what the words actually mean.

Of course I said weird all the time and I didn't care if anybody else did either. I just wanted to show people that they didn't know what they wrere talking about.

• JH
    JH

We should start a thread on what JW's can't say.

It would be a very long thread....

• oompa
    oompa

How bout the CYA method: "May Jehovah grant you good luck!"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is classified as a form of spiritism. They treat it like a "Merry Christmas" greeting is to celebrating Christmas. Wishing someone good luck amounts to worshiping the god of luck. In fact, in my congregation, the word "luck" itself was a dirty word and would not even be said in context of the trademarked cereal Lucky Charms.

• kifoy
    kifoy

shopaholic: Hm... So someone, somewhere (US or UK), got the idea that "good luck" was the same as place the confidence in the God of Luck. But this has not been an official teaching, has it? Can find anything. Not as official and directly as the "bless you" when someone sneezes. Here in Norway JWs are allowed to say "good luck". But our "prosit" (What we say in Norway when someone sneezes) does not even mean the same as "bless you" (but more "may it benefit you" or "may it be good for you"), so why is that banned here?

Amber: Good point, but it doesn't help much, does it?

JH: It wouldn't surprise me if you or someone else already did...

oompa: Well, by saying that you're implying that whether Jehovah will help you or not, is based on pure luck...

WTWizard: You're kidding!?! Really? Now, that's just silly. I guess "Lucky Charms" was Satan's idea?

Thank you all, for your answers

• blondie
    blondie
    *** ip-2 chap. 26 p. 378 par. 13 "Be Joyful Forever in What I Am Creating" ***Isaiah’s prophecy now turns back to those who have left Jehovah and have persisted in idolatry. It says: "YoumenarethoseleavingJehovah,thoseforgettingmyholymountain,thosesettinginorderatableforthegodofGoodLuckandthosefillingupmixedwineforthegodofDestiny."(Isaiah65:11) By setting a table of food and drink before "the god of Good Luck" and "the god of Destiny," these backsliding Jews have fallen into the idolatrous practices of the heathen nations. What will become of any who naively trust in these gods?
  • kifoy
    kifoy

Thanks Blondie. Paragraph 15 in that book says:

Today true Christians heed the warning found at Isaiah 65:11, 12. They do not believe in “Good Luck,” as if it were some kind of supernatural force able to bestow favors. Refusing to squander their material possessions in trying to appease “the god of Good Luck,” they avoid all forms of gambling. They are convinced that those devoting themselves to this god will eventually lose everything, for to such ones Jehovah says: “I will destine you men to the sword.”

(my emphasis)

The interesting thing is that the Norwegian translation of this book does not say "they do not believe in "good luck", as if...", but says "they do not believe in any "god of luck", as if..." ("lykkeguden"–"god of luck"–is written with small letters). And I never heard anyone say that this means that we cannot say "good luck".

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

It makes thier heads explode. Literally. I've seen it happen. Very messy.

• yumbby
    yumbby

Carla,

That cracks me up!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit