Why can't US witnesses wish "good luck"?

by kifoy 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kifoy
    kifoy

I've often read here on JWD that a JW can't wish someone "good luck". Why is that?

I've searched this forum and I've searched the WT Library, but I have not been able to find anything.
    Can someone please explain why?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Due to humans wanting to control other humans. No other reason!

• Gopher
    Gopher

The verse I heard used about this was Isaiah 65:11

But YOU men are those leaving Jehovah, those forgetting my holy mountain, those setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck and those filling up mixed wine for the god of Destiny.

So if you gambled, or said the word 'lucky' or 'good luck' in a positive sense, you were supposedly saying luck determines things rather than Jehovah.

Some JW's said you should use the word 'fortune' instead of 'luck', but other JW's even said the word 'fortune' was too close to 'luck'.

Some said you should just say 'time and unforseen circumstances', a phrase from Ecclesiastes 9:11. Picky, picky, picky.

• Casper
    Casper

The reason is as Gopher said above....

Just another "Petty" rule divised to drive us insane. I have been out 10 years and -STILL- have trouble saying it.

Takes a long time to rid ones self of mind control...

Cas

• kifoy
    kifoy
    The verse I heard used about this was Isaiah 65:11
    But YOU men are those leaving Jehovah, those forgetting my holy mountain, those setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck and those filling up mixed wine for the god of Destiny. So if you gambled, or said the word 'lucky' or 'good luck' in a positive sense, you were supposedly saying luck determines things rather than Jehovah.
    Some JW's said you should use the word 'fortune' instead of 'luck', but other JW's even said the word 'fortune' was too close to 'luck'.

Some said you should just say 'time and unforseen circumstances', a phrase from Ecclesiastes 9:11. Picky, picky, picky.

Ok...

Over here, it's never been a problem wishing someone "good luck". It was not ok to say "bless you" when someone sneezed. But "good luck" was ok.

So instead of " I wish you good luck in field service today", you should say "I wish you to have time and unforseen circumstances in field service today"?

Weird.

• oompa
    oompa

Goper nailed it. I so love how they know EXACTLY what God DETESTS: This is fairly current:

g027/22pp.9-10AvoidtheSnareofGambling***

Yet, the Bible contains God’s condemnation of those who claim to worship him but who are "setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck." (Isaiah 65:11) Yes, God detests practices that promote a superstitious belief in luck. Gambling, by its very nature, encourages a blind trust in the so-called Lady Luck.

So I guess if you say "good luck"...you are promoting the superstitious belief that you want someone to have some....how horrible...we would hope someone would have good things instead of bad happen upon them.................oompa
  • JH
    JH

If a witness sneezes, can you say "Bless ya" brother?

• oompa
    oompa

and:

w741/1p.20par.16"FaithDivorcedfromDeedsIsLifelessasaCorpse"***

If one wants to see persons keep themselves warm, then it will take a little work on the part of the Christian to see to it that the persons are kept warm by giving them something, not just saying, "Good luck to you," and doing nothing to supply the bodily needs. In like manner, faith must be accompanied by works. Faith must be backed up with action.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The god of luck is a first cousin to satan the devil.

When you wish someone good luck you envoke satanic spirits. And that, I might add, is not a good thing.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Luck encourages laziness.

If you rely on luck you will quit your job and spend all your time buying lottery tickets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit