Why can't US witnesses wish "good luck"?

by kifoy 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling
    you should say "I wish you to have time and unforseen circumstances in field service today"?

No, I think the phrase would be: "I wish you to have GOOD time and unforseen circumstances in field service today"?

Yes, God detests practices that promote a superstitious belief in luck.

This strikes me as an odd argument, becuase I don't think everyone uses the term "luck" in a superstitious way.

I find "luck" to be a very useful word, and I think it can be used (and often is used) without any
    supernatural baggage. I think as a more snappy and crisp word for "blind chance" it simply describes
    the odd things that happen due to a chain of contingencies that we are not actually aware of.

(it also seems quite fitting to use for the perhaps unguessable actions of quantum sized particles)

When I (and I now do) wish someone "good luck", all I am doing is saying that I will be thinking
    about them and their pursuits, and I hope things work out well for them. I realize that me wishing
    them well has very little actual power (besides a small amount of a psychological boost from
    knowing that someone believes in you.) Still, when I am about to face a challenge and someone
    (even a total stranger) wishes me good luck, it makes me feel good.

Irrational warmth or not, I think it is worth something.

[inkling]

• carla
    carla

Don't forget Fortunate Figures rather than Lucky Charms for breakfast!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Kifoy,

The JW's frown on saying "bless you" here in the USA too. It may be because of the supposed origin of the term 'bless you'. I heard that people say 'bless you' out of an old superstition, that when you opened your mouth during a sneeze supposedly demons could get in. So saying 'bless you' was a way of counteracting the force of demons.

So with that background (whether or not it is true), the JW's would think it superstitious to say 'bless you'. And the JW's claim not to be superstitious. (That's another thread.)

• Sirona
    Sirona

I'm in UK and we were not allowed to say "good luck" or Bless you

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Interesting - it's not OK to say "good fortune" but the word "fortunate" is fine.

• kifoy
    kifoy
    So I guess if you say "good luck"...you are promoting the superstitious belief that you want someone to have some....how horrible...we would hope someone would have good things instead of bad happen upon them.................oompa

Thanks oompa.
    This was one of the articles I found, but I was not able to stretch it so far as to ban the words "good luck", but then again, I'm no witness anymore.

oompa quoting W74: If one wants to see persons keep themselves warm, then it will take a little work on the part of the Christian to see to it that the persons are kept warm by giving them something, not just saying, "Good luck to you," and doing nothing to supply the bodily needs. In like manner, faith must be accompanied by works. Faith must be backed up with action.

So if you wish someone good luck, you also need to help them so that they really are "fortunate"...?

NewYork44M: The god of luck is a first cousin to satan the devil.
    Luck encourages laziness.

If you say so... I'm really lucky today, then

When I (and I now do) wish someone "good luck", all I am doing is saying that I will be thinking about them and their pursuits, and I hope things work out well for them. I realize that me wishing them well has very little actual power (besides a small amount of a psychological boost from knowing that someone believes in you.) Still, when I am about to face a challenge and someone (even a total stranger) wishes me good luck, it makes me feel good. br>
    Irrational warmth or not, I think it is worth something.

Yes, I totally agree.
    A lot of things we say or do today, may have a "pagan" origin, but we first of all don't think about them that way, or they have a different meaning today.
    Why is it not allowed to say "good luck" or "bless you", but using a wedding ring or a heart necklace is ok?

Can a JW say "may Jehovah bless you" or "may Jehovah take care of you" instead of "good luck"?
    What if our friend is killed on their way to field service?

Gopher:
    The JW's frown on saying "bless you" here in the USA too. It may be because of the supposed origin of the term 'bless you'. I heard that people say 'bless you' out of an old superstition, that when you opened your mouth during a sneeze supposedly demons could get in. So saying 'bless you' was a way of counteracting the force of demons.

So with that background (whether or not it is true), the JW's would think it superstitious to say 'bless you'. And the JW's claim not to be superstitious. (That's another thread.)

The Awake says (99 10/22) says: “It comes from the idea that you are sneezing out your soul.” To say “God bless” is, in effect, asking God to restore it. But yes, that's another thread

Sirona: I'm in UK and we were not allowed to say "good luck" or Bless you

Ok. I didn't know that. So at least in the English speaking part of the world, saying "good luck" is not ok?

Bonnie_Clyde: Interesting - it's not OK to say "good fortune" but the word "fortunate" is fine.

Hm... How fortunate...

• steve2
    steve2

Words chop and change their meanings all the time. The Watchtower gets hung up on the original meanings - even if current usage is totally divested of those original meanings. Talk about straining out the gnats...

• kifoy
    kifoy

You're right, Steve

It makes no sense. And so much for unity...

• Maddie
    Maddie

I always found it difficult not to say it if someone told me they were doing something like having a driving test or job interview. It seemed ridiculous to me.

Maddie

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    “It comes from the idea that you are sneezing out your soul.” To say “God bless” is, in effect, asking God to restore it.

I always thought that when you sneezed a demon came out. That is why you are worthy of a blessing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit