boycott Ebay due to their bad policies

by reneef 37 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Some things are very hard to find without ebay. Car parts for instance. Most of my transactions lately have been automotive related. Ebay is another example of what is both great and terrible about capitalism.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Found these two articles: You can read the complete article at the websites.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141968-page,1/article.html#

EBay Plans Lower Fees, Tighter Seller Standards

EBay changes are designed to boost sales by making the shopping experience easier and safer.

Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:00 AM PST

EBay unveiled changes to its online marketplace Tuesday that the company characterizes as sweeping and historic and that are aimed at boosting sales by making the shopping experience simpler and safer.

The changes, which include lowering some fees and raising merchant standards, were announced at the company's eCommerce Forum by John Donahoe, who will succeed Meg Whitman as president and CEO in March.

The changes, which will be implemented at different points in the coming weeks and months, come at a time when eBay </tags/eBay+Inc..html> is struggling to boost growth of transaction volume and revenue amidst increased competition from the likes of Amazon.com, which in recent years has attracted many merchants away from eBay.

And this one:

http://collectdolls.about.com/od/auctions/a/ebayraisesfees_2.htm

The eBay Fee Increases

From Denise Van Patten </mbiopage.htm>,

Your Guide to Doll Collecting </>.

FREE

Newsletter. Sign Up Now! </gi/pages/mmail.htm>

(Continued from Page 1) <ebayraisesfees.htm>

Apr 7 2005

The eBay Fee Increases

The first page of this article explores the response of the doll collecting community to the eBay fee increases. Here is a summary (with some editorial comments) of the fees that were raised:

Starting Feb. 18, eBay said the monthly subscription fee for people who operate "Basic eBay Stores" will increase from $9.95 to $15.95. For many sellers, the stores were basically a marketing tool, or an add-on tool to their auctions, since store items didn't come up in searches, so this is an increase that is causing many smaller stores to close.

The fee for a standard listing of 10 days will double, from $.20 cents to $.40 cents. The Gallery photo fee increases to $.35 from $.25, and items with "Buy It Now" ("BIN") prices of $.01 to $9.99 still have a $.05 fee; however, this fee now goes up at a sliding scale, and maxes out at a steep 25 cents for items with "Buy It Now" prices of $50 and up--this is a 400% increase for the BIN fee for any doll or other item over $50!! Personally, I always used BIN to encourage bidding (once someone would bid or go over reserve, BIN would go away).

As a buyer, if I'm buying a gift, I'm often impatient and don't want to wait for an auction, so I look for the BIN! This BIN increase will force a fundamental change in the way many sellers and buyers of dolls do business on eBay.

eBay will also raise final value fees on all items sold through eBay Stores. For example, the fee for items that sell for between $.01 cent and $25 will go to 8 percent of the closing price from 5.25 percent.

One ironic note on the fee increase--eBay also announced that it will "lower the insertion and transaction service fees on pocket bikes from $30 to $3 each." That's right, on pocket bikes. Many in the eBay community think that this change was made so eBay could say in their terse, scripted e-mails to users complaining about the fee increases that some fees actually went down.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I only buy stuff on Ebay, I've never sold anything but I do know that as a buyer that leaving negative feedback for the seller will only result in you getting negative feedback yourself. Considering that the seller gets your money before they post anything that seems unfair. Nowadays I look for neutral feedback as an indicator that a seller might not be worth dealing with.

Personally I'm all for removing the sellers ability to leave negative feedback for buyers.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

I just wanted to note after being called "rude" and told to "chill out," the actual information posted on the upcoming EBay changes are NOT the same as indicated in the hysterical opening message.

I didn't intend to offend anyone personally. But feel free to take offense if you need some.

• brojo
    brojo

I sell on ebay. Actually this new policy applies only to sellers who have less than ideal feedback and/or sell high risk merchandise. I agree with you that ebay is making it more difficult for sellers, especially new sellers. I also agree that the new policy which disallows sellers from giving feedback to buyers is unfair. And without question, they are instituting policies designed to make more profits for themselves at the expense of sellers. However, they are currently still the best game in town for both buyers and sellers. The course of wisdom is to begin planning some alternate means of selling. As for boycotting, I don't agree with this approach. In any free market society, natural forces will ultimately determine how ebay fares. There is growing competition and as you say, many sellers are increasingly disenchanted. If they begin moving or cutting back on their listings, ebay will be forced to make some changes. Already they were forces to retract some fee increases for a certain segment of sellers.

Joe

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Making it where sellers MUST leave positive is GREAT. If the person PAYS then you should leave positive there are NO EXCEPTIONS. Every negative I've ever gotten was a retaliatory negative for me leaving negative. One was a bait and switch auction. The they refunded the price but I was out almost 40 in s/h. If someone pays you leave a pos. Bam, done.

As to me working for eBay NO I work for At&t thats how I know about the pulse! Don't get me started about what sprint is going to start with...

Read your original post. It's stupid. If eBay implements all those things you won't have to cry like a little girl to get people to boycott eBay everyone will do it anyway because there are OTHER sites...

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I lost $50 on a Christmas order from the US which the seller said maybe held in customs after I contacted them on three occasions! Eventually after a final no response from the seller - I looked into ebay rules and i have no claim since i did not report it within 60 days! Similarly a less expensive item from China was lost and I paid for it!

I was respecting the sellers right to fulfill the sale but it appears they may have been getting me past the 60days so I had no call!!

The idea of ebay withholding funds may be a way of protecting the buyers money until they are sure the goods are received!

Though once a buyer has left positive feedback I see no reason they should not release it!

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

eBay is slowly killing itself, I won't be selling there in the future.

I may try Craig's list when I get moved, but I'll deal with that later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit