boycott Ebay due to their bad policies

by reneef 37 Replies latest jw friends

• reneef
    reneef

Of course Ebay had their reasons. The economy downturn is probably making sales go down. Those guys at the top still need their bonus you know! The stockholders must see numbers go up.

Somehow I sent a blank email. The pink thing was an announcment by a boycott organizer, not written by me. I thought they did a more concise job of explaining it than I could. I am sure they are not English teachers though, just upset sellers that are organizing and searching for alternative auction sites. This has been on CNN, Reuter's & the New York Times. The attention and first boycott was in Feb.

They are making it so that sellers cannot give buyers feedback, only buyers can give sellers feedback. That means if a crook wants to jack you up for your stuff and not pay you, you have no recourse. They are pretending to lower fees by now making that little picture called a gallery picture free. They are jacking up their cut of the final sale at the end. They have upped the percent they get of your final sale.

More information can be found on Ebay's own discussion boards. At times Ebay personell remove threads, especially if they contain links. But there are pages and pages of upset sellers posting on there. Just go to their discussion boards & see the upset sellers and read the horror stories about people being ripped off while they were still able to give buyers feedback.

There are alternative auction sites such as ioffer, bidville and ecrater that a mass movement of people are considering. More info can be found at the Delphi forms board. I personally hope someone like yahoo or Amazon swoops in & competes. They have the money to advertise.

Ebay spin doctors try to spin things to look as if they are cutting seller fees, but they are tacking them on at the end.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

reneef,

Among the changes announced Ebay raised sellers fees almost 100% which in return a portion must be transferred to the buyer which is not fair to them. Paypal and Ebay will then hold a buyers money for 21 days before the seller see & posts anything for the sale, which in return means slower shipping of the product purchased.

I had read about the fee increases on commissions, though I thought them around 60%, not 100%, but I knew nothing about the 21 day hold-back on cash. Cany you post a link for this as it is the first that I have read about it.

Cheers - HS

• reneef
    reneef

If you look at most sellers you can see almost none with 5 stars or even a 4.5 out of 5 on every aspect of their sales. Buyers now rate you from one to five stars on communication, shipping costs, shipping time, etc. I have had buyers give me less than 5 stars when i shipped the stuff before their check cleared! I only charge exact postage and I have had them give me less than 5 because the post office charged so much! I happen to get bubble wrap free, but other sellers are now expected to purchase packing materials and provide them for free? You have to read about these DSR's (detailed seller ratings) to understand how Ebay will find this excuse of a technicality to hold your money if you are paid by Pay Pal. There have been posts on the message boards of Ebay putting a grey baloon over the 5th star and making it more difficult to even hit the 5th star. Ebay is playing tricks to put the squeeze on especially the small sellers. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000638148&tstart=0&mod=1204924624236 Your payments WILL BE NOT HELD if you meet all the following requirements:

• eBay Tenure: Greater than 6-months
    • Total Feedback score: More than 100
    • Dissatisfied Buyers %: Less than 5%
    Or if you meet all the following requirements:
    • Detailed Seller Rating: Greater than 4.5
    • Total Detailed Seller Ratings Recieved: More than 20 in the last 12-months
    1) How is the total feedback score calculated? Is it based on feedback received during the last 12 months or is it based on all feedback received ever since the member joined eBay?

2) Does the total feedback score include feedback received as a buyer?

3) In some places of the FAQ page it states the 5% buyer dissatisfaction figure is based on the last 30 days... in other places, such as FAQ #30 quoted above, there is no mention of a 30 day period. Is the buyer dissatisfaction percentage always calculated based on the last 30 days?

4) If a seller receives only about 10 feedbacks per month, will one negative feedback received give that seller a 10% buyer dissatisfaction rating?

5) How is the Detailed Seller Rating calculated? Is it an average of all 4 rating categories or is it the lowest of the 4 ratings?
  • mkr32208
    mkr32208

You think that's bad? I've heard that At&t is going to start sending a signal down their lines that will make your head explode if your on your cell phone! Not only that but if your NOT on your cell at the time it will make your pants burst into flame!!!!

If you have At&t HOME service the signal will cause all the rats that live in your house to rush out and while half of them hold you down the other half pants you! If that wasn't enough all their fleas rush up your nose and fornicate on the surface of your brain!

Please... If they put any one of these policies in place they would go out of business in weeks... Stop believing everything you read! Or... Maybe keep believing! I've got a check for 1,000,000 that I need to cash! Send me 5000.00 and I'll send you the check ASAP!

• reneef
    reneef

Hey mkr do you work for Ebay or something? I don't understand why you are calling my integrity into question as if I would SPAM this site with a hoax or erroneous information.

I have made my living selling on Ebay for the past three years. Just as I share the info about jws and other things I believe it, I would like this information to be investigated by anyone giving a rip about that. The subject can be googled and a lot of information is out there. just because I did not even think to come here with information till now does not mean it is not relevant. This subject may not interest you or have any application to your life, but it is a means of work to many other people. Other people and what they may feel, now that's a thought....

If you don't give a rip, why don't you stop acting like a taunting little child and find something productive to read. Why not bother to look it up before belittling my posts. Better yet, go to a joke site where someone may just think you are as funny as you find yourself. Or maybe a flame site where you can further hone your "skills" of making an ass out of other posters.........

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=boycottebay&nav=start&prettyurl=%2Fboycottebay

Why Boycott Ebay?GRIEVENCES: 1. Feedback changes.
    The proposed changes are more harmful than beneficial:
    A. Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave negative feedback.
    B. Feedback older than 12 months will no longer be displayed.
    2. DSR (Detailed Seller Ratings) tied to search positioning.
    A. Ebay is unjustly red-flagging good sellers as bad sellers, by stating sellers with a 4.0 rating (On a scale of 1-5) as having "low ratings", implying they are bad.
    B. Ebay would rather keep real bad sellers, because they earn money.
    3. 21 Day Hold for PayPal Payments on "Risky" sellers, or listing in "Risky categories".
    What is considered "Risky"?
    A. Sellers with less than 100 feedback.
    B. Video Games is considered a "risky category". Even well established sellers selling in this and other "risky" categories will be subjected to a 21 day hold.
    C. Sellers with 5% negatives in a 30 day period. (Extenuating circumstances? Tough luck. Unreasonable buyer demands? Tough luck. Shipping service errors? Too bad).
    4. Unreasonable Fee increases.
    A. Promoted as Fee decreases, Ebay actually increased fees. While dropping most insertion fees by a nickel, they raised the Final Value Fees by as much as 66%
    B. Reserve fees no longer refunded.
    C. Store Final Value Fees increased to 12% on top of monthly fees, and listing fees.
    D. Other fees increases of $20 and more.

MISSION
    1. Unite members to strengthen ebay members.
    2. Refrain from buying on ebay until ALL terms are met.
    3. Refrain from selling on ebay until ALL terms are met.
    4. Promoting sellers who sell on the member voted sites, by advertising the following alternate sites:
    A. onlineauction.com
    B. etsy.com (hand made items only)
    C. ioffer.com
    D. overstock.com/auctions
    5. Stay committed to each other by purchasing from "refugees" (boycotting ebay sellers).
    6. Join myspace.com/boycottebay the source of our direction.

TERMS:
    1. Revamp the FB process, BUT, not in the way proposed. We WILL NOT be held hostage by extortionist members.
    2. Use the DSR, but, don’t allow extortion by tying to how items are listed in the ebay search engine.
    3. Immediate release of PayPal funds.
    4. Restructuring the fees, to a REASONABLE rate.
    5. John Donahoe’s resignation, if he refuses to meet our terms.

Please join in the boycott!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Their policies aren't going to be any worse than any other corporation so it boils down to the consumer and the choice they make.

If shipping charges go up, then the consumer will go elsewhere.

sammieswife.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

The info posted above IS true.

Here is info from Ebay's website.

It can all be verified on Ebay...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/rewardsfaq/#27

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I have sold on ebay for years. Some summers I even support myself with ebay.

But not any more.

If my shipping stars get dinged by some newbie buyer, my auctions get kicked off the front page of listings. WTH?? That is the number one thing that has me angry. I ship right away and charge actual shipping not a penny more, I post the shipping cost clearly in the auction, but still some buyers say it is too much. And ding the stars.

Number two, sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers now. Well that just messes up the whole system, doesn't it? What is the point of feedback? GRRRRRR.

Ebay was the greatest thing on the internet for a while. Anybody could make a little money there. Now with the huge cost of paypal and the hike of the final value fees it isn't worth it to go to the trouble unless you have a high ticket item. I used to sell everything on there. *sigh*

It used to be that the little guys selling out of there house were on equal footing with the 'big guys' on ebay. Now GM gets to list cars for free I heard!

Oh well. Ebay was great while it lasted.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I used to have an ebay store, but about a year and a half ago(maybe a little longer) they changed the way they list auctions/store items and made it really difficult to get any visibility. Then they added some other kind of store. The played so many games with the site that I just went and sold on amazon! Still did a few transactions on ebay for awhile, but it cost more than it was worth and they kept taking more and more money to sell the same item. When ebay was getting more revenue from a transaction than I was (just straight up, forget the COST to me!) then you know it is a bad idea to sell there.

I have SO had it with the online selling that a brick and mortar storefront looks more and more appealing all the time. I am a book person though, and love to browse.

I am not boycotting them, they lost my loyalty long ago-they just got too greedy.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I almost started another thread about eBay myself about a completely different reason. Just thought I'd jump in here with even MORE news about eBay and join the excitement.

If the crazy hike in fees isn't enough for you, check this out... they are now cow-towing to the SCIENTOLOGISTS ... I kid you NOT. Unbelievable. Yes, this is verifiable, no this is not an urban legend.

article here: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/19/1943206&from=rss

Quote:

Completely freakish and unacceptable.

I tried unsuccessfully to post Google news links, but if you want to see more articles on this, do a search on ebay scientologist on Google news.
    http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=mozclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=ebay+scientologist&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit