What Will Your Children Be Doing April 25, 2008?

by freydi 67 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

let us not stray too far afield

children, young people not yet adults, insecure, unsure and many times terrified of their own proclivities, are being harrassed, threatened, demeaned, hurt, harmed and killed because.....pick a reason folks..... there are as many "reasons" for the hateful behaviours as there are people perpetrating it....

their silence is deafening...... please dont forget their pain

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Anti-Christ: Although the term "propaganda" often has negative connotations, it is not, in essence, a negative word. In etymology, it is not derived from politics, but rather from religion. The word "propaganda" is a Latin gerund found in the expression Congregatio de Propagando Fide, that is to say the Congregation for Spreading [Propagating] Faith. In other words, "propaganda" lierally means "spreading" or "propagating". In its widest [and most neutral] sense, it refers to the spreading or propagating of information so as to influence people's ideas and thinking. In other words, it is something that everyone does at one time or another. Although "propaganda" - the organized and systematic propagating of information to sway public opinion and thought - has, in fact, been horribly abused by political and religious leaders throughout history, the term need not necessarily be understood in a negative sense.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Freydi - The biblical legend of Sodom and Gomorrah has NOTHING to do with homosexuality. The "sin" of Sodom and its adjacent towns was NOT homosexualtity, but rather inhospitality. In biblical times, inhospitality was considered the most egregious of sins, probably the worst sin imaginabIe. If you think about the harshness of the conditions, you will come to realize why inhospitality was viewed as being so hateful. The conduct of the residents of Sodom was hateful becuase they were intefering in Lot's role as a host. He himself says: "These people are my guests!" As host, Lot had a crucial role to play; he had all-important duties and obligations to carry out. And the residents were preventing him from doing what he knew he had to do. In Lot's day, a host's obligation to his guests "trumped" everything else, even familial relations. As I remember, didn't Lot offer his daughter? But if the residents were homosexuals, why offer a daughter? In my opinion, this story shows two things: It shows in what high esteem the notion of hospitality was held in that society, and how low the status of women was in that same society.

When considering Old Testament taboos, any reading of the O.T.'s numerous laws will show that eating frogs and cutting one's hair are on par with the injunctions against "men lying with men." But why don't you we see people up in arms and protesting against French restaurants or barber shops? I mean, why selectively pick and choose among "sins"?

In the New Testament, Jesus instructs his disciples on what to do if they are not well received or are mistreated in any way; he tells them to wipe the dust of the offending town off their sandals. He tells them that in the end days, things will go better for the residents of Sodom than for those in the towns that reject the disciples message. And just what did Jesus have to say abouty homosexuality? Nothing, nothing at all. However, he DID have something to say about adulterers. It's strange how adultery is not a criminal offense. Lucky thing for a lot of people.

• real one
    real one

home is where you teach your children values. it is not up to the school to do that. it does not mean that just because the school tries to teach something that it will be taught either. they try to teach sex ed and look how many teens are pregnant and still get stds. just another wasted day of instruction if you ask me

• real one
    real one

Casper i did not say nor do i think i am better than anyone else. as far as judging is concerned how many times do i have to tell you that i can read the scriptures and state what they say without righteous judgement...only God can judge! He reads our hearts. i cannot read anybodies heart all i can do is tell you what the scriptures say. the scriptures do the judging not me!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I think they should do this for all children and not just the homosexuals. Alot of children are bullied for being fat, their physical appearance, their race, etc etc etc.

Why not a day of silence for the sexually abused children?

• chickpea
    chickpea
    Why not a day of silence for the sexually abused children?

amen. and amen.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I can't understand why anyone would object to their child's school teaching their children to treat ALL people in a humane way and to not bully people because of sexual orientation! Isn't that a good thing to teach children? Clearly, they are not learning this lesson at SOME homes, so the school has to do it. It is the schools RESPONSIBLITIY to make sure that kids are not bullied and that kids are safe at school. Gay kids are very often the victims of verbal or physical attacks. Sounds like this school is not putting their heads in the sand and are actually doing something about this problem. Good for them!! I agree with you on the above post... But I also think as Junction guy said it also should include fat kids, cross-eyed kids etc: etc: They too are bullied. I had a call yesterday of a friend ,telling me when she was a JWitless she met a gay guy, she sat & lectured to him as to what a sinner he was, ( Now she is a Christian & feels VERY guilty) because she has since learned he then commited sucide. She is hoping it wasnt after her :"loving"???? scolding!!!!!! Glad I never did that one...

• DJK
    DJK

I don't think of discrimination, prejudice and racism as a moral issue. Its hatred plain and simple.

Hatred is unacceptable and if the students learn that, everyone benefits.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

NO. I do not believe that the schools should be devoting a WHOLE DAY to this initiative.

After leaving the JWs, I no longer judge a person for being a homosexual or not, that is their choice. But IN SCHOOL...children should be taught reading, writing, math, social studies, science, etc...not some social agenda of one particular group.

However, the educators should discuss bullying..just not isolating one group. Bullying should not be tolerated in any form to any one..gay or not. Proper conduct should be taught from pre-K through high school. Too much nonsense is tolerated by teachers and administrators afraid to say anything to precious little Johnny or Sally because they will go crying to their parents that the big bad teacher picked on me..... wah wah. ... and then the parents threaten the school board with some frivolous law suit because a teacher dared to challenge a child's behavior.

Bullies should be suspended and/or expelled. When I was in school, I was bullied a lot. Not because of race (white), sexual preference (heterosexual), etc. Just for being small and an easy mark. In my sophomore year, I finally got the balls to defend myself and fought back. Guess what? The bully and I both got kicked out. It happened again early in my junior year with a different bully...I fought back. We both got suspended. Guess what? I had peace and quiet for the remaining 2 years of high school. I should have fought back much earlier...like second grade when it started.

Just my opinion.

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit