Using My Beard as a Fading Statement

by daniel-p 23 Replies latest jw friends

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Russell had a beard. So did Jesus. It was Paul who didn't. I don't like Paul. I prefer Ringo.

Kwin

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

What's wrong with a beard? JWs be damned, show me in the bible. I say go for it, because it's your preference, and because it WILL send a clear message. They'll all say, 'Oh he's gone off the deepend, even wearing a beard now.' I love it.

• yumbby
    yumbby

I vote for a Mohawk. That sends a pretty clear message as well. And its stylish!

• Gregor
    Gregor

In my short fade (2 yrs) I began by resigning as an elder and immediately grew a beard. I made no secret of my disillusion with the program. It was not long before they trimmed me out like a rotten spot on their apple.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Grow a long beard, put on a red suit with white trimming. Be Santa Claus.

Seriously, if you want a beard, grow it. Don't do it to irritate them. To irritate
    them, wear sneakers and t-shirt to the Memorial. Or maybe a Hawaiian shirt
    and sunglasses. Have an ipod with the earphones in your ears, and be sure
    to carry a KJV or other obviously different Bible.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I thought that a fade was about making no statements at all?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

SMF wants to return to logic and sense. YES.

Actually, IMO- you can fade by becoming more casual in your dress, but
    not ridiculously noticeable. I wore dockers, a button-up casual shirt with a tie,
    casual shoes. Before the fade, I always wore a jacket, most often the complete
    suit. During the fade, never wore a jacket, or wore a zipper-type sweater if it were
    cold.

But SMF is correct. Just think casual Friday at the office.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Little Toe remained an elder for a few months while sporting a beard.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Hm, interesting comments, friends. Thnks for your input. I think the reason why I want to make this "statement" is to cut down on awkward conversations and just let people know I'm "fringe" and cannot be "reached" at the moment. It also bothers me to shave just in order to blend in. I don't think it will spur a new round of elder-hounding, but who knows. We'll see.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I agree. A genuine fade is not premeditated or staged. It is a genuine, gradual atrophy of the JW "fire in the bones". Of course, fades can be cold blooded and calculated like a military manuever if circumstances call for it. Whatever works, just get your ass out with the least amount of collateral damage you can bear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit