Your car is a giveaway for your sexual orientation?

by gaiagirl 56 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

A JW told me today that Mazda Miatas are the car of choice for gay men, and Subarus are very popular among lesbians. I asked him how many gay and lesbian folks he actually knew, and what the source for his information was. He admitted that he didn't know any gays or lesbians, but that "a friend who works in an auto shop" had told him. I then told him I had quite a few gay and lesbian friends, and that his stereotyping was not observed in the cars driven by ANY of them. I said I HAD heard of a church that was so narrow minded that members were encouraged to drive ONLY four door cars, and anything with fewer doors was frowned upon. His comments did make me curious, though...has anyone else ever heard of this particular stereotype? It was certainly the first time I'd ever heard it.

• avishai
    avishai

Yeah, I have. Matter of fact, I have a gay male friend who drives a miata, and a Lesbian friend who loves her LAV (lesbian assult vehicle, as opposed to UAV, urban assault vehicle) subaru... But gay folk also drive other cars. Including big ass pickups, etc. And straight folk drive miata's and subaru's too.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Well I do know that if you're broke, you will probably drive and old Ford Taurus. Most of them in this area are 'rust free'! They don't charge any extra for the rust.

Outaservice

• serendipity
    serendipity

I remember Martina Navratalova (sp?) pitched Subaru Outbacks so I did a search on that and found this dated link: http://www.gay.com/style/auto/package.html?sernum=496

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I am so glad I am out.......................

~Hill

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I gave up my 2006 BMW 325 to ride the subways of NYC. What would your JW friend say about that?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Probably androgynous, NY44. Haha.

Mostly kidding.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I have never heard of people saying that those particular cars gave away your sexual preferences. I have heard though that Subarus tend to be driven by environmentally conscious persons. Also, heard that women who drive Nissan Pathfinders tend to be high maintenance. I don't really believe any of it. People drive what they have to. We have a honda and that isn't our car of choice but it is what we drive. I wonder what that says about me?

Sheri

• chickpea
    chickpea

guess i need to tell my 6 ft 200 lb son his car has him pegged as a lesbian

• seawolf
    seawolf

I knew I loved Subarus for a reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit