I have lost all desire to study the bible... This sucks...

by cognac 41 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I agree cognac!

I mean, how can how old a piece of writing is meake it absolute truth?

Like cave paintings must be divine messages due to their age!

Look at the constitution today - reams written to govern millions along with the oldest form of government - claiming knowledge of the will of an invisible god!

And the one seeming most logical will be most powerful right?

Hence why many of us were sucked into religious academia!

To me the Bible has become an advice on humanity along with hundreds of other books, some of which I prefer due to their being more concise and personally relevant!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Cognac,

I can't see the reason for obsessing over it anymore. So many different translations, learn the origional languages (as origional as you can get) just to find out no translations line up with it, knowing that every human agent had their own agendas and cultural bias when writing. I am emotionally, physically, and spiritually exhausted over it. When someone "goes religious" whether on TV, radio or personally I turn it off and can hardly controll the urge to yell "Just SHUT UP!!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!"

• veradico
    veradico

There's no rush with your husband. Devote your energy to your relationship, getting to know and enjoy each other in new aspects and contexts. When he's ready, he'll figure most of it out himself. We're all essentially alone when it comes to major stuff like this, but he'll know you're there supporting him. And you'll hopefully have an even stronger relationship as the foundation for a new life.

With regard to the Bible study, I agree. Take a break. If we are saved by knowledge (which does not seem fair, since many people will never have access to such knowledge), you've already got more than most. Read some fiction or poetry or even the religious texts of other cultures. The Bhagavadgita, the Gitanjali, and the Tao Te Ching are three of my favorites.

best wishes,
    -V

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

Remember, the bible never lied or mislead u, the organization did. Read the bible and pray for direction. The book as a whole is subjective. God has never changed.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I am emotionally, physically, and spiritually exhausted over it. When someone "goes religious" whether on TV, radio or personally I turn it off and can hardly controll the urge to yell "Just SHUT UP!!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!"

That is exactly how I feel. I have had enough of thinking about all of it. When people talk religious talk, I only have a very short span of attention.

Never thought I would get to this stage, but it just seemed to happen by itself. And the best thing is I don’t feel bad about it in any way.

Feel I’ve moved on from a bad place.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

cognac - there is so much information to get through and assimilate that is can become exhausting - it's okay if it's just you and you know you can give it a break and then take it up whenever, but having your hubby convinced JWism is the way is taxing - especially as you've been trying to guide him.

Perhaps take a bit of a break but keep encouraging the hubby.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Real one, your lack of understanding is well-documented.

Cognac, feel free to take a break. Husbands need breaks, too, from relentless wives. You've given him a lot to digest. Let him mull it over for a while on his own.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Cognac. You've been tearing into this subject like mad! I haven't done nearly as much as you, but I've felt "burnt out" many times over the past few months. We gotta put this on the back burner now and then and not let it take over our lives. I understand you don't want to lose ground and let your husband slip back into the comfortable JW land. But the things he's learned are in his head. He'll be reading the new JW material and comparing it to your discussions. Perhaps some of the crazyness in the new mags will activate his "cult altert" in the next few months.

Just take some time off. You don't have to go to meetings or any of that stuff. Just tell the elders that you need a break if they come round.

• real one
    real one

jgnat you are my judge? interesting...not....as i was saying pray to God for His Holy Spirit and He will guide you in the way you need to go. all you will get here is a lot of opinions but the most important one you need to listen to is God

• real one
    real one

God not being the wts God being God

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit