Have you been touched by CRIME?

by LouBelle 28 Replies latest jw friends

• yumbby
    yumbby

Geez, I never realized how supremely lucky I was. I've never been the victim of a crime and I've lived in a semi big city (Denver). Where I live now we don't even lock the house doors ever! I don't even think there are locks for the doors. Nothing here has ever been stolen. I hope I'm not jinxing myself here!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been touched by crime, I take care of all the sorts of people you and your friends and family have dealt with after they get caught. Shoplifters to killers.

Personally in the area I live in in Florida, Tampa bay area, I've been blessed and fortunate thus far.

From working in a jail and booking in criminals every night, I see the areas they come from for the most part and I dont live there.

The criminals do come to my part of town and rob banks and convenience stores though. I always look the area and bank or store over before I walk in to see who the players are and whats going on.

I see a lot of crime is classified as domestic. The criminal has beaten, shot or stabbed someone they know. The best protection agains that is screen who you choose as friends and size up your realitives.

Then watch were you do buisiness, where you buy your gas, where you bank and shop. Here in florida some areas are rougher than others I stay out of the rough areas when conducting business.

If all the areas are rough where you live, Then you might want to emmigrate.

When I went to the police academy, I had a friend who was a cop in New york and he said Tampa doesnt have any crime compared to New York City.

The last I heard we have about a million people where I live and we have a jail that is always full with about 3,500 inmates. And out of those 3,500 we have a cell block that holds about 10 notorious criminals axe murderers, bank robbers, serial killers, But most of the wacos in the United States pass through Florida in the winter.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Here in florida some areas are rougher than others I stay out of the rough areas when conducting business.

It used to be that way in Chicago. The suburbs were relatively safer than the city, at least. Now it's just all over the damned place. It doesn't matter where you live. A guy just recently walked into a Lane Bryant store and killed 5 ladies and robbed the place. This was in the burbs. Why on earth would a guy pick a Lane Bryant store to rob? Most of the women who shop there use a credit card. Just craziness. Gangs have taken over the city. I even moved to Madison, WI in 2003 to get away it. Well, seems like the criminals from Chicago have the same idea. It's a straight shot from Chicago to Madison (134 mi) and I could not believe all the murderers, drug dealers, etc. from Chicago who are caught in Madison.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, please get out of africa. The direction that it is headed, it will one day be like the jurassic park movie, when the velociraptors started eating people. It's funny, how people in general can't grasp the nature of the violence in sa and zimbabwe.

S

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Ah, the sadness I feel at the ways we've been hurt...

As an adult, I've only had fairly minor stuff - petty theft from a garage, denial of a job due to my orientation - but thankfully free of violent crime. I've been a witness to crime (domestic violence next door, with the new boyfriend knifed by the old boyfriend). As a child, of course, but most folks already know that story...

LouBelle, I had hoped that you were in a more stable part of the country there, I really hope things won't continue to deteriorate, but the more I hear the more worried I am.

LadyLee, I just cannot comprehend the things visited upon you.

• flipper
    flipper

LOUBELLE- I am so sorry you and your family have suffered so much from these vicious crimes. If you are living in a highly charged crime area as Jaguar Bass said- is there a way you could move to another area with less crime ? Or is your entire country like this ? If so, it may necessitate moving out of country for good. You have our best wishes , and prayers that you escape soon ! Peace to you friend ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yeesh.

Yeah, I'd move if those HIV stats are accurate.

• ronin1
    ronin1

We were burglarized on February 5, 2008- $8,000 worth of all my husband's construction tools, his personal jewelry and cameras, camcorder, etc. The burglars used what is known as a 'bumper key' so that there was no forced entry. Unbelievable. The area we live in is so nice and quiet that we never thought we would need an alarm system. But we have been living in 'unease' and not sleeping well since the burglary.We are having ADT install an alarm system in tomorrow. Our lease ends in June, 2008 and we have to leave this area. The crime has increased with home break-ins and burglaries in this area and we cannot take the chance again.

Ronin1

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi everyone - thanks for sharing your stories.

South Africa as a whole suffers with this crime. Here IF you get away with your life, that is a bonus of note! Johannesburg (the big apple of South Africa) is the worst off crime wise.

In my case and that of my family NON of the persons have ever been caught - unfortunately our Police Services aren't the best and if it isn't a gross/violent crime that gets committed - they don't don't really bother about it.

LadyLee - my heart bleeds for you.

Princess Daisy Boo - WOW - you've gone through some horrific things there girl!!

I was checking the stats on the internet - South Africa has the highest violent crime per thousand. A shocking statistic especially when you compare how small we are in comparisson to the states and other countries.

I'm trying to call up official HIV / AIDS stats - there is a lot of red tape - South Africa has a population of 46 million people - last year the number of people infected were 4.5 million but some reports say as high as 6.57 million - that is NOT including the number already infected. But I think 1 in 4 is pretty close ( I didn't want false info on here)

I'm going to be looking into getting mine and my brothers' ancestral visa to the U.K, my mom can get a british passport. We'll see how things go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit