Have you been touched by CRIME?

by LouBelle 28 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I personlly have on a number of occasions: twice I've been mugged. I've had my car stolen. I've been sexually assaulted. I've had my flat broken into and burgled. My mother has been mugged. Her home has been broken in and burgeld twice. My cousin has been mugged. Another cousin stabbed. My uncle shot at. My stepfather (yesturday) was held up by two men, one with a knife, one with a gun, they wanted to hijack his car, he was stabbed in the arm and fiercely bitten, they made off with his phone and laptop. The sad thing about his story is that observers were actually laughing at him and applauding the attackers. He is now on ARVs because 1 in 4 South Africans is HIV positve.

My family and I for the first time discussed whether or not we should leave South Africa. We know it may not be greener on the otherside, but violent crime has become a way of life here and we want to get away from it before crime takes our lives. We have all been fortunate to get away with our lives.

There are gross gross gross stories which make the news and you are literally sick to your stomach, and you try get your head around horrific news after horrific news and somehow stay possitive - but it erodes bit by bit and you're are left feeling raw.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Wow Lou!! Sorry you've had such experiences.

No I've never been touched by crime.

My philosophy is: "you shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologise." Mr White- Reservoir dogs.

I dont know where you could go to get away from crime tho...

PS: That 1 in 4 HIV thing is a damn shame

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Mostly the same crimes that would be in any city: burglaries. I have had a few of those. Of course, that is not counting the crimes committed by the FDA to keep natural health care from going mainstream, or the other agencies that inflate prices, keep people from finding or creating work, and necessitating permission for anything they want to do.

With one major exception: The initiatory fraud committed by the Watchtower Society. I was scammed into joining a religion that has ruined opportunity for personal advancement, and wasted too many years of my life to get me to spread the cancer to the community. I was also scammed into putting money into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, making me an accessory in pedophilia (albeit unwitting and involuntary). And, because I did field circus, I had a share in helping ruin lives because of the criminals running the whole thing.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Someone tried to rob me at a bus stop last year. I was able to chase him off, but that's about as close as I've come outside of having stuff stolen that shouldn't have been out in the first place. Uh and I wanted to add that yea, South Africa is pretty freaking hardcore compared to most places in America.

• cognac
    cognac

Hey Lou...

Do you know who did any of these things? Did they get caught?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Loubelle, I think ya'll need to move.

In Utah we had our house broken into. I actually walked in with the kid still in there. He jumped out our bedroom window and WALKED across the back yard and hopped the fence. He had all my husbands rifles lined up to take, but he did get away with some of my great grand ma's jewelry.

momz

• Gregor
    Gregor

LouBelle,

what are the laws in SA regarding personal firearms for protection? Sounds like a jungle down there. I thought Mandela turned it into paradise.

• looloo
    looloo

yes , i was in house fire aged 18 , it turned out that the block of flats i just moved into had an arsonist living in it too , i would have been dead if the landlord had not rescued me (he received a bravery award ) arsonist got 3 years in prison, result ! my bag got snatched on holiday abroad with my passport in once that was a nightmare too , my son got beat up by some kids from another school but there was not enough evidence to prosecute, no result then my daughter was abused by the local ex min servant (that had abused when a jw but never got reported ) i reported him to the police and he got 3 years for the covered up abuse but no time for my child as the charges were dropped due to lack of evidence ,no result again , i will encourage everyone to carry a camera around with them at all times as you never know when you may need some solid evidence in court . i dont know whether im just unlucky but all this happened in a seasde town , now im nervous of what else lies in store

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yep

Strong arm robbery

House shot at...

B&E

car broken into

2 relatives murdered in Fla ( both the perps sentenced and refused appeals -electrocuted)

2 freinds murdered in Tenn (her insane adult kid did it.. he will be in custody for the rest of his life)

Assaulted by drunk ( Michigan.. I found the guy and the local police were too busy to arrest him)

Wifes ex conducts illegal telephone recording ( Michigan.. local Prosecutor too busy to investigate.. and the two courts refused to follow up after he admits to it)

Plus.. a couple of break in's at work... personal tools stolen

~Hill

! associate murdered in Lake Worth Fla ( unsolved for 20 years)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh where to start? Not in any particular order

1. physical attack a couple of moths after I had my first baby by the woman who lived above me. I sould be gald she did't have a weapon. Apparently she stabbed a kid and held another kid while her son punched him.
    2. physical assault while living in a shelter by a woman high on crack who grabbed my wheelchair and RAN around the halls and then tried to dump me out of it
    3. quite literally hundreds of sexual assaults ranging from exposure, attempted kidnapping for the purpose of sexual assault, those annoying middle of the night panting calls, to acts of fondling, grabbing, forced oral sex and masturbation and attempted and actual penetration . These last four account for hundreds of the assaults over a period of close to 20 years by strangers, family friends, neighbors and a wide assortment of family members. People rarely realize the magnitude of what a child goes through when abuse is in the family home

If you don't feel safe then taking control of your life to make it as safe as possible is an obligation you owe yourself. We can't avoid everything but we sure canminimize the risk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit