Changes to alot of the eschatological beliefs of the WBTS.

by jefferywhat 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still_in74
    still_in74

anyone who was at a meeting after the annual meeting was given a review about what was said, I actually have a printed copy of a brothers notes who attended. There were many new points at that meeting. The most obvious being the change of the generation to the 144k.
    There was also a change made to the leaven. I recall the dragnet illustration as well.

These arent all in official print yet, but they are coming.

Think about it, what other date could the WTS possibly come up with?? The only way to not look like blatant back-peddlers was to leave 1935 as a "notable date" (the influx of the GC) and then just remove a connection to it with Armagedon. No connection to 1914 (but still important) no connection to 1935 (but still an important date) so now we just wait.
    The WTS can still throw around 1914 and 1935 and sound as if they had it right all along, as usual the R&F wont even notice. "hey, the bible has never changed" they will say.

For the WTS to add a new date would mean the chronology was in error and not just the interpretation of it. Sound familiar (Russell) To admit an error in chronology would leave all other chronology up for debate and the last thing the WTS wants anyone to question is 607BCE.

Havent you all noticed that not an artilce seems to go by without reinforcing the 607 date? IE: we always get our dates right so dont ever question them, but sometimes we dont quite understand what is/was to happen until after it happens.

• yknot
    yknot

Survival is the ability & forsight to adapt.

• metatron
    metatron

And what difference does logic or facts make to the average Witness?

Almost none!

Start looking at JW's as a mass effort to promote a religious form of OCD and you've pretty much got it.

Examples: "I have to get my time in". "I have to get to the meetings". Why? What good does it do? Just putting in time pleases

God? Do you really learn anything at meetings?

metatron

• TD
    TD

Without some serious doctrinal surgery, it's not possible for the JW's to remove a connection between 1935 and armageddon.

Because:

• They base their salvific model on Revelation 7
    • Revelation 7 describes two groups and only two groups
    • In JW theology, one group (144,000) has gone to heaven; the other group (great multitude) have survived the tribulation
    • There's no equivocating on this point. John's perspective in the vision is on the other side of tribulation. He did not see a group of people hoping to survive. He saw a group of people that already had survived.
    • The clock starts ticking as soon as the latter group is identified. The great tribulation must occur in their lifetime, else they have been misidentified.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I have a theory that explains the current situation. I think the current doctrinal/prophetic condition that the JWs find themselves in is a product of their current leadership arrangement. What I mean by that is that the religion’s changes in doctrine (or lack thereof) show all the signs of a religious organization being run by committee as opposed to a single powerful leader.

From their founding, the JWs doctrine was almost entirely the product of one single individual. Charles T. Russell was seen as the “faithful and discreet slave” by his followers and he was in charge of setting forth the official doctrine for his Bible Students group. After Russell’s death, Joseph Rutherford managed to wrest control of the group from the hands of Russell’s hand-picked successors. From that point forward, Rutherford was in charge of setting forth official doctrine. His word was law when it came to official JW matters.

After Rutherford’s death, Nathan Knorr assumed the mantle of leadership. Knorr, however, was more bureaucrat than oracle. Knorr used the Society’s vice-president, Fred Franz, as the religion’s primary theologian. By all accounts, Knorr deferred to Franz’s interpretation of the scriptures. Knorr was the CEO and Franz was the organization’s chief “prophet.” Franz was rarely overruled by Knorr when it came to doctrinal matters. It was only during the tail end of Knorr’s reign as president of the WTBTS that some power began to be delegated to the governing body. Knorr died shortly thereafter and Fred Franz succeeded Knorr as the WTBTS’s president.

Despite the delegation of power, the men who were appointed to the governing body were largely deferential to Fred Franz. Most of these men had come to see Franz as Jehovah’s principal mouthpiece in matters of prophecy, so they were reluctant to overrule him. Fred Franz remained in control of doctrinal matters well into his old age. It wasn’t until he became too old and senile that he was finally relieved from this role.

What does all of this mean? Well, from what I’ve heard and read, Fred Franz was an extremely intelligent man. He was able to twist and turn various Bible prophecies into a semi-coherent doctrinal structure. During Franz’s reign, the JW’s prophetic framework was as coherent and consistent as it has ever been. Of course, despite how consistent and coherent his prophetic template may have appeared to be, it was destined to fail, just as if it would have failed had he developed a modern-day prophetic framework using The Lord of the Rings or some other literary work of fantasy or science fiction.

Fred Franz’s death left a power vacuum within the organization that nobody has been able to fill. There was no strong personality to assume the void. No new “oracle” emerged. Instead, the religion truly came to be governed by committee (the governing body) for the first time in its history. Because of the way the committee works, it takes 2/3 of the committee for anything to get done (at least that was the case as of the early 1980s per Ray Franz’s book, Crisis of Conscience). There was no new strong personality whom the rest of the governing body was deferential of to drive home prophetic changes. Instead, the doctrinal framework has remained pretty much the same since Fred Franz’s death. It’s crumbling around the governing body and the only time they can gather up the necessary votes to change doctrine is when it’s clear that the prophecy has failed.

I believe that the organization is in drastic need of a prophetic overhaul. They essentially need to start from scratch again if they intend to remain viable as an apocalyptic cult. To get that done, however, someone needs to convince 2/3 of the governing body to go along with them and apparently no one person has emerged with that kind of power. Various reports suggest that Ted Jaracz is the closest thing to a leader as is out there, but he’s apparently more of a bureaucrat concerned with consolidating power and pushing a more puritanical brand of faith than he is with reframing the religion’s prophetic foundation. He’s no heir to Franz’s role as chief oracle.

If the religion had a strong personality, a strong leader in the tradition of Russell, Rutherford, or Franz, they would have gotten out of this mess a while back. The leader would have re-interpreted the religion’s official doctrine to make it more coherent and tenable. Instead, due to a lack of true leadership, the religion’s doctrinal framework is crumbling around them and the committee is only able to build a sufficient consensus to make changes when it has become clear that the prophetic interpretation has failed (such as with the literal interpretation of the word “generation” and with the 1935 date as the cut-off of new anointed). Unless a new leader emerges, or a big enough coalition develops within the governing body, the doctrine will remain essentially the same with only minor changes taking place from time to time when absolutely necessary.

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

neverendingjourney, interesting post and one I agree with completely. I was hoping someone felt the same.

They are an army with out a "hero".

They have generals and soldiers but no one to inspire confidence, even in themselves, and they are, for the most part, young enough to have to out live any prediction they make.

I think of Russell going back to his room after he expected to be raptured to heaven in 1914, or Rutherford sitting back with a whisky at Beth-Sarim waiting for his prophecy to be fulfilled or Franz in the Spring of 1976.

This current group of men dont see themselves in this light.

What we need now is some young gun of around 12 get baptized and claim to be of the anointed, grow up and be the new leader!!!!

• metatron
    metatron

You guys see problems where there is none. Why? Because you are rational! Who says Witnesses have to be rational?

Who says their doctrines need to make sense? Do they need to think? Or be logical? Tell me where the 'bottom' of Witness stupidity is!

Because I'd love to know!

My only hope in this is that one or more members of the GB goes off the deep end and starts a pile of speculation that creates

wreckage. Right now, Herd and Loesch look like good candidates.

metatron

• uninformed
    uninformed
    All they are waiting for is the King of the North and the UN to attack us and this will effect the whole world not just JW's

NOT SO!!!

It is now, "elements within the UN" that will attack. That statement helps them to justify that the UN "ain't so bad afterall" so we go to the Library there attitude.

Brant

• zagor
    zagor

If you look through history you'll find that all religions go through the same cycle. At inception they all start with radical almost revolutionary ideas. However as time progresses they become more and more moderate and watered down version of their beginning. At the end of life cycle they are there only as guardians of traditions before their ultimate fading into oblivion.

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

True uninformed, thanks for the clarification.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit