"There is no evidence that the earth is more than 10,000 years old"

by LtCmd.Lore 12 Replies latest jw friends

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Somebody said this in a recent thread. I couldn't respond to it in that thread without going COMPLETELY off topic.

But this definately begs for a response.

There is a living creosote bush in california that is over 11,000 years old. This age is not in question. It grows in rings that can be counted similar to tree rings. It's a simple matter of counting the rings and you know how old it is. http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=11165
    We also have an UNBROKEN record from tree rings that date back over 11,000 years. You just count the rings, and you know how many years old the tree was before it died. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLFKM886l4Q It's extremely simple.

This alone is proof that the earth is over 10,000 years old. From just the field of Botany. Independant of any other field of science.

__

The great barrier reef is around 500,000 years old... This is based on the fact that coral reefs grow around 10 to 30 centimeters per year. Unless it used to grow 50 times faster than coral reefs do now, that date is not in dispute: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/292/5521/1451e
    http://www.reef.crc.org.au/discover/coralreefs/coralgbr.html

This alone is proof that the earth is over 500,000 years old. From just the field of Hydrobiology. Independant of any other field of science.

___

The grand canyon. Given the rate of erosion, it took the colorado river over 200,000,000,000 years to carve it. http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon
    Ignoring the formation of the canyon, it provides a clear look at layers of rock that took billions of years to form.

This alone is proof that the earth is over 2 billion years old. From just the field of Geology. Independant of any other field of science.

___

I think that almost EVERY field of science,independant of every other field, proves that the earth is over 10,000 years old. To claim that "There is no evidence that the earth is more than 10,000 years old" is to admit that you know absolutely nothing about Geology, Geography, Biology, Botany, Archaeology, Astronomy, Chemisty, Radiology, Meteorology, Genetics or anything. Because they ALL prove that the earth is WAY older than 10,000 years.

Even if there was some GRAND conspiracy, and every scientist on the planet was knowingly lying to the public to cover the truth. You can go to the grand canyon yourself, look at the rock strata, count the layers, and do the math.
    You can go diving in the coral reefs, look at the size of it, and do the math.
    You can go to the bristlecone pines and COUNT the rings and compare them to the older trees.
    You can go to any cave and see the stalagmites. You look at the moon and see the craters.

alt

And if you're too lazy to do the research, and I'm using the word 'research' lightly here, since the research is already done, you just have to choke down five minutes worth of learning.
    This is stuff that scientists have known for hundreds of years, and it's based on the most easy to comprehend concepts. You can deny the validity of the evidence... at least we have something to work with. But to deny the existence of the evidence is fractally wrong, and an exercise in cognitive cecity.

I'm not asking you to make a leap of faith and "trust the scientists even though you don't understand any of it". You don't HAVE to trust the scientists, you can understand it easily on your own.

Lore - What.Would.Satan.Do?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks, good information.

But don't forget the ultimate comeback, God created everything 6000 years ago but made it all look older.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Lore

I really enjoyed that post! Thanks

Who said that the earth is less than 10000 years old?

I think JWs accept the age of the earth. They just don't accept that human beings have been around for longer than a few thousand years. If you were to break through the JW mindset you'd need to prove that humans have been around for longer than they say.

Sirona

• Satanus
    Satanus

Young earth creationists believe that the earth is only a few thousand yrs old. They are fundamentalists who take the six creative days as literal 24 hr days.

S

• MOG
    MOG

10,000 BC..Im going to see this movie..

• White Dove
    White Dove

Thank you for the amazing information! I love science.

• zagor
    zagor
    I'm not asking you to make a leap of faith and "trust the scientists even though you don't understand any of it".

No self-respecting scientist will ever ask you to simply trust his judgment. That's why we have peer-review process. There is nothing to be or not be trusted in science. Science, unlike religion and philosophy is about facts and laws of nature.
    Gravity is not just a good idea, it is the law, violate it and that might be the last thing you ever did.

To be fair to bible though I have to point out it does say "In the beginning god created the heavens and the earth" and only later does it speak about 6 days of creations of life on earth. So theologians who want to fit it into 6000 years period simply didn't even read properly their own material. How can they therefore understand something that lies outside their field of expertise if they are not even experts in what they believe in!?!

• zagor
    zagor

Here is the video I highly recommend with the talk given by Richard Dawkins at TED conference. http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/113

Actually that is one of my favorite websites. If you are in need to be really inspired by people who know what they are talking about or want to hear what is being brewed in background before it ever hit main media, go there. There 's something for every taste I would imagine.

www.ted.com

Another site you might like to check if you love science, particularly astronomy is http://www.worldwidetelescope.org.

Service soon to be launched will be universe equivalent of Google Earth only many orders of magnitude greater. It is a good time to be interested in science.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    The grand canyon. Given the rate of erosion, it took the colorado river over 200,000,000,000 years to carve it.

Sorry, typo. That's two billion, not two hundred billion.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Lt. If you would have checked your own research you would have seen this under the video.

Sorry if this seems a bit arrogant to you, but you have got one tin y bit wrong. One ring does not equate a year, but half a year. The dark ring is a winter, the light ring is a summer.
    (Perhaps, you meant it like that anyway, but many people do not know.) In tropical areas, where there is no change of seasons, trees do not have rings. Generally: I do like your videos. They are by far more scientific than other videos.

Youll have to give that one to the creationist because half of 11,000 would make 5,500.

I'm not a creationist or bible thumper or democrat or republican, I just call them as I see them and that was under your video.

Personally, I could believe in an old earth much easier than I could believe in macro evolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit