Coincidences....

by hillary_step 45 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

HS I knew you would be a tough critic. It was a perfect V!!!. That had to be 25 geese. Oh well, I'll try again another day.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wings,

HS I knew you would be a tough critic. It was a perfect V!!!. That had to be 25 geese. Oh well, I'll try again another day.

lol....Okay, take 4/10 for enthusiasm.

HS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As I've mentioned before, at the end of 10th grade, a friend of mine moved away to Las Vegas and we had a goodbye party and all, and then he left. About a month and a half later, I flew to California with my family for vacation and we stayed there for several weeks, and one day we decided to go to Disneyland. I was there with my cousin, my mom, and my sister, and we separated to go to different things, and we were going to meet up after I got to go on Space Mountain. Well, we miscommunicated, and we were left waiting for each other at opposite ends of the building. And I waited there for at least two hours. I was feverishly scanning the passing crowd, looking for my mom and cousin, when lo and behold, here comes my friend that I thought I would never see again. I was completely flabbergasted, that we'd meet up again, in all places, Disneyland, tho we now lived in different states (neither of which was California), and this was in the middle of July, during peak attendance at the park, and we'd be at the same place within the crowd of people at the park. I took about six photos of him, to preserve that moment for posterity. And then we parted, as he had somewhere he had to go. Finally, minutes later my mom found us and was quite irate, but I was soooo blown away by the coincidence I thought it made it all worth it.

• undercover
    undercover

Funny you should ask...

Being away from the forum for awhile, when I came back I was hoping that certain posters that I have come to admire were still around. Just yesterday I was wondering about hillary_step and if I had just missed his posts or was he on hiatus...

Then today, you posted.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Leo,

As I've mentioned before, at the end of 10th grade, a friend of mine moved away to Las Vegas and we had a goodbye party and all, and then he left. About a month and a half later, I flew to California with my family for vacation and we stayed there for several weeks, and one day we decided to go to Disneyland. I was there with my cousin, my mom, and my sister, and we separated to go to different things, and we were going to meet up after I got to go on Space Mountain. Well, we miscommunicated, and we were left waiting for each other at opposite ends of the building. And I waited there for at least two hours. I was feverishly scanning the passing crowd, looking for my mom and cousin, when lo and behold, here comes my friend that I thought I would never see again. I was completely flabbergasted, that we'd meet up again, in all places, Disneyland, tho we now lived in different states (neither of which was California), and this was in the middle of July, during peak attendance at the park, and we'd be at the same place within the crowd of people at the park. I took about six photos of him, to preserve that moment for posterity. And then we parted, as he had somewhere he had to go. Finally, minutes later my mom found us and was quite irate, but I was soooo blown away by the coincidence I thought it made it all worth it.

9/10.

Undercover,

<- I am in emoticon mood.

HS

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Well how about this one we are about 1600 miles from Disneyland. We live in Canada, as we were standing in line to enter the gates ( there are numerous lines and long) hubby looked

over to his right there was 4 people he went to school with from his little rural area school of 200 students. What is the chance of that?

Hope4Others

Edited to add: We have a coincidence within a coincidence post. Another posted a Disneyland meeting also. I never saw it because I was typing at the same time!

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

I've been in lurker mode for some time now but had to reply to this as I have these kinds of things happen to me frequently -- two just this week.

1. Getting rid of a lot of my pre-divorce furniture -- need to clear out the old and update my space. Sold my beautiful 4 poster bed this week -- emotional for me as I loved that bed and was thrilled when my ex and I bought it 6 years ago. The bed is made by a well known high end American furniture maker and has a very distinct look. Anyway, I sell it through Craigslist and as I'm watching the new owners drive away with my bed I feel a sense of relief mixed with sadness. An hour later I'm watching my favorite home improvement tv show and the room they feature has a bed and...it's my bed!

2. Doing a donation drive at work for a local shelter for victims of domestic violence. I'm also part of a community outreach group in my town that is unrelated to the work project. The drive at work has been very successful and will benefit a shelter near my office. I think to myself...I should find a similar organization that supports the community in my town and do a similar donation drive. My contact information is accessible via a couple of community forums and an hour after I have this thought I receive an email from the director of such a shelter in my own community asking if I would be interested in working with them to raise funds and donations.

3. Many years ago when I moved to my current state -- clear across the US and didn't know a soul -- I accepted a job at a bank. First day of work was new hire orientation and there was one other new employee besides myself. I was really homesick and nervous to boot. The HR manager asked us for our driver's licenses so she could make copies for our HR files. We hand over our licenses and I notice the other woman's license is from the same state that I had just moved away from. I asked where she was from -- she laughed and said, "oh, you wouldn't know it -- it's blah blah town." I was shocked as that is where I had moved from! We were both shocked as this was a very small town -- turns out she was several years older and our paths hadn't crossed personally but her family owned the local ice creamery where I went for ice cream and her younger sister and my younger brother were the same age and attending the local high school together. And, after asking my brother about her sister I found out that they were currently sharing a locker at high school! Nothing ever became of this connection -- we stayed in touch for a bit but that was all. But it was one of the oddest coincidences I ever experienced.

Don't know how any of this will rank on Hillary Step's Coinci-meter but those are some of mine...

LG

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If there is no such thing as coincidences, then there is no such thing as free will.

Awakened you bring up an interesting point. There is no such thing as free will.

Back in my bible reading days, I found many scriptures that made that point. We have no free will. We are actors in Gods play. The bible says no man comes to God but by faith. Then the bible says god gives men faith, some more some less. Some none at all.

I think the bible based faith of Calvinism is based on there being no free will.

On the other hand, often times if you have mental problems the course of therapy is to point out to one that they have free will and they are in the position they are in because they made bad choices.

But sometimes you have no choice but to make the choice you made.

Its kind of a paradox and enigma.

Some times we have free will and its obvious, And sometimes we dont have free will and we will not be aware unless we reflect.

Some people go through life hardly every reflecting. And then a reflective person comes upon them and talks to them and has quite a trip.

All this talk leads to quantum physics and parallel universes plus about a page of scriptures from the bible.

Scientist have observed one element in two places at the same time. From that they extrapolate that we have many lives in parallel universes. You have your life you lived as a Jw and all the good and bad from that and you have the life you lived if you never entered the kingdumb hall.

Plus probably thousands of other unrelated lives down different roads. Everytime the road forks the ying and the yang we divide and part of us goes into another parallel universe.

Kind of bizzare but this is what some scientist think about when they try to figure out what is going on here on the third rock from the sun.

A movie that deals with this is "what the Bleep do we Know, Down the Rabbit hole.

• Casper
    Casper

Mr / Ms Step...

I am crushed...... I feel I at least deserved an honorable mention...

Cas

• fifi40
    fifi40

HS

First coincidence........my maiden name was Leslie.....spooky or what......alas I am not a John.......though I have often wondered how life would be if I were of an alternative sex.

Bizzare coincidence has accompanied me throughout life.........I have been on an airplane returning from France, and a friend I had not seen for 5 years was on the same flight......I have been in a restaurant in London where the waitress that served me was Australian and had served me several years earlier in a restaurant I paid several visits to whilst holidaying in Port Douglas, Australia.......most recently I was sat in St Marks square one evening in October (my birthday present from my husband); as we sat sipping expensive drinks watching the string quartets I happened to overhear the people on the next table's discussion. They were made up of two middle aged couples and one said to the other 'Yes but its not Goadby'.....my ears pricked (I am coming to the point), so I listened some more, again the word 'Goadby' was mentioned. Goadby is a tiny village in Leicestershire of about 60 houses max, but it also the village where I was born and raised. I turned to this group and said 'Excuse me but I couldnt help but here you mention Goadby is that Goadby in Leics'......to which they replied 'Yes'. They had travelled to Venice on the Orient Express.......I had flown with my husband from East Midlands.......and of the 1000's of people milling around Venice we ended up sat next to 4 people who came from my home village.

There are more......but its enough to keep you going for now

Fi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit