Please, please, please help me!

by copperbunny 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Open mind
    Open mind

As of your last contact, was your father still a JW?

If he was and if you know specific towns in Kansas & Missouri where he attended JW meetings why not try contacting the elders at the Kingdom Halls in those towns? Tell them your story pretty much as you have here, (leaving out any anti-JW remarks) and I'll bet they'd be willing to help. Especially if they think there's even a remote chance they might be able to hook you into joining the cult.

(There's no chance of that right? If so, please ignore everything I just wrote.)

Open Mind

• copperbunny
    copperbunny

I had vaguely considered contacting the churches where he lived, but I wasn't sure of the best way to get information out of them. I also didn't want them trying to get me converted, it's sooo annoying to me. I don't have to worry about JW's where I live, it's the Mormon's that do the door to door religion here.

No worries about me joining either, I told my mom at the age of 6 I didn't believe in "god" or religion, and have been an atheist ever since.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Have you tried the U.S. Census? The Census, taken every 10 years, will list households by names, siblings, ages, etc. Do you know any general information on where he or his family was in 2000, 1990, 1980? It can be a starting point to peel away layers in getting information.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

What part of Missouri? If they are around the central part of Missouri, I might be able to help. I live in Columbia, MO.

I still know alot of people around here. I'll be off and on tonight.

shell

• copperbunny
    copperbunny

Double edge: I've tried those things, but I think that he was soo all over the place that he probably wouldn't have even answered the door for a census taker. Or answered the letters they send in a lot of areas. I do know my siblings names, and I think I have an idea of their ages, but it's kind of like someone you lived a mile away from, and vaguely knew, and spent a total of 7 days with 11 years ago. It's hard to remember all those things. That and I thought I'd have more time to get to know him, he died when he was 54 (if it's him). Ancestry gave me his (I think) ssn. but my mom doesn't have any record of it to see if it matches.

crazyblondeb: I have a possible address match for a brother in Reeds, MO. Is that central? I've lilved in KS, and currently WY, but don't know MO well. Da's name Galen, possible brother in MO Norman. Wife? Sharon I think.

• lookingnow25
    lookingnow25

I could also possibly help in the central, mo area.

• copperbunny
    copperbunny

Thank you to everyone that is willing to help! I may not have time to get back on until tomorrow. I have an hour long drive to get to work, and should be heading out soon. I will definitely check back in the morning though, so if you have info, go ahead and post! Thanks again, I have some hope now!

S.

• JK666
    JK666

copperbunny,

Welcome to JWD!

As I don't know anyone in MO that can help, I didi a little research that I hope helps:

PEOPLE SEARCH RESULTS
    Search Again >>
    See Details on All 6 People!
    6 People found that match Galen Fowler in Missouri.
    Click on the Name or View Details link for more info.
    intelius.com = Available Information
    NAMEAGEPREVIOUS CITIESDOBPHONEADDRESSINCOMEHOME VALUERELATIVES
    1GALEN A FOWLER

View Details
    58REEDS, MO
    FORT SCOTT, KS
    KIRWIN, KS
    PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    HILL CITY, KS
    intelius.comintelius.comintelius.com
    intelius.comintelius.comCHERYL A FOWLER
    NORMAN D FOWLER
    2GALEN FOWLER

View Details
    -REEDS, MO--intelius.com
    intelius.comintelius.comTIMOTHY CRAIG FOWLER
    NORMAN D FOWLER
    LEON G FOWLER
    CHERYL A FOWLER
    3GALEN FOWLER

View Details
    -REEDS, MO--intelius.com
    intelius.comintelius.com
    4GALEN L FOWLER

View Details
    -HILL CITY, KS--intelius.com
    intelius.comintelius.com
    5GALEN FOWLER

View Details
    -CARTHAGE, MO--intelius.com
    intelius.comintelius.com
    6GALEN FOWLER

View Details
    -WEBB CITY, MO--intelius.com
    intelius.comintelius.com
    JK
  • Open mind
    Open mind

copperbunny:

I also didn't want them trying to get me converted, it's sooo annoying to me.

Now that it sounds like you're pretty well inoculated against religion in general, I don't feel so bad about giving you a few more possible pointers.

I picked a city in Kansas at random, Lawrence, typed in "lawrence ks kingdom hall" into Google and got 5 Kingdom Halls in the area with phone numbers. (None in Lawrence itself, BTW)

If your Dad is/was a JW your best chance at locating him is with the JWs. Posting here is a good idea too, just more of a long shot, IMO.

I know any conversion attempts by the JWs will be annoying to you, but if you really want to locate your Dad I think it's a pretty small price to pay. Be friendly, positive and open with them. Don't come out and say you're interested in studying with the JWs, but a couple of honest positive remarks will go a long way towards making them want to help you.

"I've always admired how committed JWs are to their beliefs."

"All the JWs I've ever met have always seemed to be really nice people."

You get the idea.

Oh yeah, here's the best times to call the Kingdom Hall.

Tuesday or Thursday evenings around 7:15 pm.

Sunday mornings around 9:50 am.

Weekday mornings around 9:10-9:15 am.

Anyone who's been around the area a long time can help you. It doesn't have to be an elder.

Please do me a favor though. Swear to me you're absolutely immune to their recruiting techniques.

OM

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

JK666, I think you found him. See how easy that was? And no one had to give away who they are here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit