My friend wants to know how to stop the JW's from knocking at her door

by Velvetann 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I wonder if anyone here can help my friend. I have no idea how to stop the witnesses from knocking at her door. She has MS and its difficult for her to stand at the door. She doesn't know much about the religion. She just found out I am a exJW so asked me if I could give her some advice. I thought maybe some of you folks here might know. She has tried phoning the Kingdom Hall but never an answer. Is there a way to say don't knock here??? She lives in the State of Washington on an Island. Below is what she wrote to me today.

I have a bone to pick with our local JW's but no one ever answers the phone listed in the book. I want to contact someone to see if I can get on a "no knock" list. ; ( For years it didn't bother me to answer the door and politely decline to debate my spirituality vs. theirs. I would commend them on their witnessing, but like I said, decline to debate. With adults....it was painful but do-able to slowly close the door if they persisted beyond my polite refusal. Now they are using tactics that offend me. They have begun to show up with small children in tow. It makes me stand there longer and have to repeat myself gently over and over because I don't want to show any kind of disrespect whatsoever in front of a child. It burns me that it's happening, and it's ramping up too. I've had at least 4 knocks in the last 3 months. Enough is enough. Grrrrr. Maybe you can give me hints on what to say. My polite refusal doesn't seem to be working well. If I don't answer the bell, they stand there and ring and ring and ring. Sigh.

I don't know much about JW, other than I've heard they have quota's on witnessing etc which is why I've been patient up to now. You called it a cult. That's what I always suspected but I'd never heard it called that before. I just know that I don't believe "works" are a part of salvation.......which is what the forced witnessing seems to be.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I always tell people to ask to be put on their "do not call list" when they stop by, or formally by writing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Besides putting a note on the door for them to stop knocking, she could call at meeting time.
    The meetings are virtually always Thursday evening and Sunday morning in a more remote
    area like she describes. If that's wrong, then the next time they knock, she can ask,
    "I have tried very hard to get on your 'Do not call' list. Please tell me what time your meetings
    are scheduled for, so I can call the elders personally."

When she gets through on the phone, insist on speaking to one of the elders, tell him that
    either they stop knocking or she will start a petition of those that don't want them knocking so
    that the local government would feel obligated to look into it.

Don't be polite and sympathetic at the door. Go straight into, "I need to be on the 'Do not call'
    list. Please help me now to make sure that happens."

Either that, or she can mail them a letter and make it sound like she will pursue legal action to
    stop them if they don't stop on their own.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

As others have said, a letter to the local KH or telling them at the door should work - a note on the territory card will be made to not call at her address. She sounds like a very polite, respectful lady, which puts her at a disadvantage, but once she clearly tells them to not come back, they should follow her wishes.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Could always invite them in and talk about Raymond Franz, 607/587, the light that gets dimmer and dumber, and the juicy bits about paedophilia settlements.

That approach would come with an "apostate" stamp guarantee.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

True, Mr. M. The last one I spoke to denied that any pedophilia could possibly happen in "God's organization". I said I know that it has, they got huffy, I told them I was a survivor. The woman looked like she was about to faint, and was dragged off by the guy. They never came back...perhaps I was a bad association.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

thanks for the input so far. It sounds like she has to get hold of them and tell a Elder to make sure she isn't bothered again. I will copy your comments and let her know.

It seems so ironic that they can just come and bang on her door or others doors without an invite but try and get hold of them. No answering machine on their telephone or a number for a elder.

• avishai
    avishai

Just tell 'em she's an apostate. That should take care of it.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

It seems to me that your friend can post a "NO TRESPASSING" sign. The Witnesses will have no choice but to respect such a sign. If they do not, I would suggest that your friend call the police. There's no reason why a woman in an ailing,debilitated condition should have to suffer harassment by Witness goons.

• logic
    logic

I always wondered why people just don't have a nice little sign made that says 'jehovahs witnesses stay the hell away from here'. Even the dumbest of jws should understand that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit