What's with Ex-Jw's who join another religion? Fool me Twice????

by Witness 007 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sorry no offense but why do some Ex-Witnesses here Join another group....we have a Muslim {Muhamed was given a Koran by an Angel in a cave?}....we have some Baptists etc......I researched the bible and found there are 1,000's of gospels not part of the bible...so what's the deal...."fool me once shame on you..fool me twice shame on me" OR do you have a reason for continued belief in religion...I really wan't to know since Iam Agnostic and don't believe in God or evolution?????

• sacolton
    sacolton

Not me. I was a Methodist before denouncing it to join the JWs. There was nothing particularly wrong with being a Methodist, but
    it was commanded that to become a JW you had to write a letter to your old religion and denounce them. Regardless, I am now
    convinced without a doubt that all man-made religions are a stumbling block. A person only needs to read their Bibles or whatever
    book to get inspired to be a good person and not hurt anyone. God will judge your heart.

Religions need people.
    People don't need religion.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Maybe because they don't know anything else? But for me, once the ball got rolling, I couldn't not face the questions I had regarding God and religion. I had no choice but to not believe.

Kwin

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I really wan't to know since Iam Agnostic and don't believe in God or evolution

Not sure I can answer your question but I'll give it a go. Perhaps whatever it was that drove them to the JWs went unfulfilled and they looked for it elsewhere.

Aren't we all agnostic, apart from the looneys who 'know' god exists, when it comes down to it? Calling yourself agnostic is merely recognizing a universal truth. I'm not sure where you get the idea that evolution has anything to do with theism or atheism, believing in the theory of evolution says nothing about your belief or lack of belief in a god or gods. It is just as possible to be a theist who believes in evolution as it is to be an atheist who doesn't, although I would imagine there aren't very many of the latter.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Yeah, I don't get it myself. It's all to iffy to take seriously.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I wonder if it doesn't have the most to do with a desire to have a place... a community... a sense of belonging in the world at large.

I always say I'd go to church if it weren't for the whole bible thing... in some churches it looks actually fun and enjoyable. Especially for kids and family. But it all goes back to a belief I can't claim to support.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I just watched the Discovery chanell with my wife about the power of stars and black holes and I had a sudden panic attack thinking.....I'm all on my own there is no Jehovah, and look at all that power and chaos!!!!! I really felt fear...belief in a God would give comfort.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I agree, 007. I think a lot of people who go through the transition out of the high control group never give themselves a chance to get their bearings before jumping into another organized superstition. Ricochet romance?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

It may seem 'crazy' at first, but I think for some it's logical. They were in a 'cult', which they probably joined because they were spiritually searching. So when they leave the JWs, they are still spiritually searching, and figure that the JWs were wrong, yes, but then there has to be something better.

Not everyone researches the Bible and its origins when they leave the JWs, or the various sciences that go against a literal reading of the Bible - or if they do, they are so conditioned to think the Bible is the word of God that anything that contradicts that 'fact' must be wrong. Or, they decide to have a very 'relaxed' understanding of the Bible, and take out the parts of "the map" that don't correspond with "the terrain".

Or, as you mention, they may find that the Bible isn't true, but then search other religions and find one that appeals to them. It does seem a little weird, seeing how they as JWs learned of all the negative things about other religions, but on the other hand, since JWs were wrong anyway, what they say about other religions doesn't really have much clout.

Why they go to other religions or Christian churches and don't simply continue to believe in God on their own, is perhaps a little hard to understand anyway. But humans are a communal animal; we need to be with others who have the same beliefs and thoughts - strength in numbers. I remember that myself, when I arrived at the conventions, one of the good things about them to me was that I felt part of a bigger group; there were in fact quite a lot of people who believed the same, so perhaps I wasn't crazy.

Atheism or agnosticism isn't for everyone. I think it often boils down to an argument from personal incredulity; there has to be a God (Creator), there has to be more than this, 'I can't fathom how the universe and life would get here if not for God' etc. Not to forget that some people do have personal, religious/spiritual experiences, which to them proves that an atheistic view can't be right, and that an agnostic view is too 'weak' and 'inbetween'. They need religion to make sense of it all.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I can speak for myself. I believe that some people really do believe in a God. They are trying to find out about Him/Her and try to serve. My folks left a pentecostal church to join the jw's. I was raised in the jw religion and I am fading away. I am not sure if I will attend another church or not. I am tending to be sort of bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit