Should I send a letter to the CO?

by Sirona 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi All,

Some of you may remember that when I joined this forum I was having problems at home regarding the UN issue. Everything appears to have settled down now and I promised my mum that I wouldnt mention it again to her. However, looking back at the events around that time, I feel that the Circuit Overseer not only made it difficult for me, but also for my mother. I am considering writing a letter to him. This letter is not to let him know about the UN thing because he clearly knows about it, but to express that his attitude didnt help my mothers spirituality or mine.

Heres what I thought I might say:

Dear XXX

My mother and brother attend the XXXX congregation of Jehovahs Witnesses. This letter is regarding your visit to that congregation in October of this year and your comments to my mother.

Before your visit, I noticed an article in the Guardian newspaper regarding the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society's involvement with the United Nations as an NGO associated with the UN's DPI. This article surprised me, but on checking the United Nations official website it was clear that the Watchtower Society was listed. I showed this information to my mother and since your visit was coming up, she said she would show it to you and ask your opinion on this matter.

On the Wednesday of your visit she did just that. However, when she returned home she seemed angry with me and stated that this material was "apostate". She also told me that you had said that what the article claimed was just "not true". A suggestion was also made that apostates had altered the United Nations website.

I fail to see how a newspaper article and a reference to the UNs official website is considered apostate information. What is more, the London Bethel has now admitted the Society's involvement with the UN, and they have stated their reason for this involvement.

My point is this: I feel it was wrong of you to say categorically that the information was "not true" when clearly the Society have been involved with the UN (for whatever reason). I also feel it was wrong of you to insinuate that the information was "apostate". This caused upset and tension in my home, between mother and daughter, since my mother thought I was giving her false information. I did not give her false information, because I love her and I do not lie to her.

Due to the upset, I promised my mother that I would not mention this issue again. I do not attend the Kingdom Hall anymore myself, and to be honest this sort of occurance influences me not to attend for the foreseeable future. I would advise you to only make assertions about information when you have fully researched the facts, not all questions regarding the society are from an "apostate" source.

sincerely,

What do you think?
    Sirona

• serenaj92
    serenaj92

Since you are no longer attending the kingdom halls, do you really think he will listen/read your letter? Just send it without your name on it and then send a copy to his supervisor, and a copy to your elders, and so on and so on.........they would then question him too.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Send it. Nicely put. Don't expect it to change anything, and he may very well dismiss it. But if I was still an elder, and I got that letter, it would really make me think a bit.
    S4

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

This man in NOT interested in any truth but promoting the wbts. How will the letter effect your standing (inactive) in the cong? Will it begin a process you are ready for? Is the letter really going to help your mother see what is real about the jws or put a further rife between you two? What do you hope to gain? the man (he will lie to promote the wbts) or really reach your mother. Drop the issue and start on another subject that may get her questioning things. 2 cents. j2bf

• Sirona
    Sirona

mmmm

Serena I like your idea, not put my name on, but the thing is he will probably remember being questioned and know its me anyway! Plus I will need to find out where to post it to, I dont know the Addy.

Thanks Seeker. I intended to get him thinking about what hes saying to people I suppose. Also in case he wasnt aware, it reiterates that the UN thing is true.

Joy, thats the real worry...how will it affect things? They have nothing to say I've been telling anyone anything, because I havent...so in that sense Im not a danger to the cong. However I did tell my mum about the UN, so they could simply use that to DF me. I dont want to upset my mum again, and maybe sending this will get her involved again... I just dont know!!

help!
    Sirona

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Sirona,

Well, if you do send the letter to the CO, you definitely are taking a chance that some action will be taken against you, for he will indeed probably remember the incident with your mom.

And, it won't be difficult for him to make a few inquiries to find out who you are, even if you don't put your name on the letter.

I think your letter is fine, although you might want to look at Hawkaw's post "A WTS Lie for UN Association", and be sure to put that the UN info is readily available at numerous depository libraries in the NYC area, so there was NEVER a need for them to associate with the UN for a 'library card' in the first place.

Hmmm, I know, for me personally I have walked on eggshells, trying not to offend JW relatives, but after reading Englishman's post yesterday, I am now inclined to stop this behavior, and be far more direct with them. Maybe this is where you are at too?

Just carefully weigh the possible outcome of sending the letter carefully. Only you can determine if you can live with how this might alter your family relationships.

One more thought - the fact that he is a CO, with a fairly prominent place in the Tower 'hierachy,' (a real organization man, with much to lose) probably increases the odds that he will check this out, and try to put a stop to it, at least IMO.

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Sirona, I would send it just as it is. State the truth. If people can't handle it, then that is their problem. I understand that you don't want to make any waves at home, but eventually your mother will see that you stand for what is right, not for what you are spoon fed. God Bless,

Penn

Mohammed- 'My teachings lead to the attainment of truth'
    Buddha- 'The truth has been revealed to me'
    Jesus- 'I am the truth'

• Escargot
    Escargot

Include a copy of the UN’s letter stating that the WT did withdrawal and send a copy to the WTBTS.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Go for it, Sirona!

BUT, it's the copies that you send to others that will have most effect.

Nice one.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I like it mostly Sirona. However, I suggest you dispense with the "I feel..." stuff. You don't "feel", you "know". Just tell him directly that it was very wrong to say what he said to your mother, even bordering on lying and deception. In fact, even "bordering" is too soft, he was either wrong (and therefore has a responsibility to make it right), or, he was deceptive, and therefore from his father the devil.

Leave no wiggle room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit