WT-Says Moms Should not Work

by leaving-jws 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

I haven't read that article yet, but will do so tomorrow.

As a family we found that when our children were younger, my wife made the sacrifice in staying home, but she did work part-time. We found that to be better financially since the day-care expenses would eat up a lot of that extra income, along with the extra taxes that you get to pay. After the children got older, then my wife took on a full time job. I guess they wanted her to pioneer, but there were wives that didn't work that didn't pioneer as well.

As for women making less than men...not in our case. I hate to admit it, but my wife brings in more income than I do. What am I doing still working, oh yes, I forgot, it's for that self respect. Us men need that to.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

As a family we found that when our children were younger, my wife made the sacrifice in staying home, but she did work part-time. We found that to be better financially since the day-care expenses would eat up a lot of that extra income, along with the extra taxes that you get to pay. After the children got older, then my wife took on a full time job. I guess they wanted her to pioneer, but there were wives that didn't work that didn't pioneer as well.

As for women making less than men...not in our case. I hate to admit it, but my wife brings in more income than I do. What am I doing still working, oh yes, I forgot, it's for that self respect. Us men need that to.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

• sandy
    sandy

I work in a law firm and I often hear women putting down other women who leave their careers to stay home and raise their babies.
    I can't figure out if they are jealous because they can't do it, or, if they feel guilty because they're not doing it.

There are women out there who would rather work than stay home and raise their kids. I really don't understand that. It's one thing if you need to work to support the family, that I totally understand. But there are some who can afford to stay home but choose not to. I feel guilty leaving my dogs home while I go off to work so there is no way I'd leave my baby with someone else as long as I can help it.

But the WT has no right giving advice on this matter when they don't even encourage college education.

ok, let the bashing begin . . .

• besty
    besty

Recommended reading on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Income-Trap-Middle-Class-Mothers-Fathers/dp/0465090826

I have read it and it makes a fascinating case for why two-income families are most likely to be forced into bankruptcy. I have pasted one of the reviews from the Amazon site below.

The mother/daughter team of Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi have written one scary book. What exactly makes this book so frightening? The fact that many of their conclusions are probably correct.

A friend who happens to be a CPA who counsels families in financial trouble told me about this book. She actually is warning her clients not to read it because it paints a fairly bleak and depressing picture. Naturally, after she told me this, I had to read it, even though she was correct, much of the information contained in it is depressing.

For one thing, in many ways the integration of women into the workplace and the rise of the two income family has not had the positive effect one might have hoped it would. Because so many families are now two income dependent they have become trapped and are more financially vulnerable than previous generations. Many families use all of the income they receive from both husband and wife, and barely get by. As a result, any interruption of the income flow can result in disaster. One telling statistic: today's two-income family earns 75% more money than its single-income counterpart of a generation ago, but actually has less discretionary income once their fixed monthly bills are paid.

This is generally blamed on overconsumption and claims that we are a credit card generation that it is paying the price for its free spending ways. And no doubt credit spending has its role in the financial problems of middle America. But Warren and Tyagi make a compelling case that this is not necessarily the whole story. Instead, they propose that the culprit is in large part the ever escalating cost of housing and education in America's suburbs. As many parents chase the better schools in an attempt to assure their children the best possible education, real estate prices in areas serviced by those schools rise and with it the cost of the homes.

At one time, families could count on stay-at-home mothers as a kind of financial safety net if disaster struck. If dad lost his job or some other financial problem arose, mom could go to work either fulltime or part-time to help tide the family over until the crisis abated. But today, when so many families are dependent on two incomes, families are at a frightening risk should any financial crisis arise in the family. The authors do propose some modest solutions, but its doubtful many of their suggestions would ever be implemented on anything more than a limited basis. Among their suggestions are rate caps on credit cards and open-access public schools, but none of their suggestions can truly provide a fix for the problem.

Some people have dismissed their findings and conclusions. Unfortunately, I believe they are truly on to the core of the problem.

While this book does indeed paint a bleak picture, with bankruptcy often proving to be the only solution for many families, it is a timely and recommended book for anyone concerned about the financial future of Middle America. I would criticize the authors for not offering more realistic solutions to the problem, unfortunately in the current economic environment there may not be any.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

To start, I disagree that it is a fact that pre-K and K are good for kids. It all depends on your idea of good. My kids do learn at home, and I am home most of the time my husband is at work. I also have a fulfilling photography career. Believe it or not some people choose home education for secular reasons. We just choose to use a constructivist approach, which isn't available in any schools locally. (You can wikipedia "constructivist theory" if you aren't familiar). In addition to Judo, Art, Suzuki, and Yoga classes- my kids have hours of interaction with their peers each week. Homeschooling is not what it used to be.

I am a feminist, and I think this is such bunk... but it is what we were always taught. It isn't new at all. This is the grooming most of us had our whole life. Having daughters and wanting them to have more options than I had is what got me out. Thankfully while I was young enough to do something with my own life as well.

Sandy, I support a woman's right to CHOOSE to work. Just as a man might not feel fulfilled being a SAHD a mother might likewise feel unfulfilled in that role. If I didn't have my business to feel personally and financially rewarded, I would probably not be the mom that I am. It may go against your desires and be something you can't understand, but that doesn't make it wrong. There is nothing wrong with choosing that path, there are many many kick ass working moms in our society.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Still no scan of this article?

• ronin1
    ronin1

Can someone scan this article?

Ronin 1

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hey, I'm just shocked that the WT is actually not trashing people for having children! Since they've been discouraging people from having children for so long, the fact that they even attempt to acknowledge what they think is in the best interests of the child is a total deviation from their usual indoctrination to stay single, stay childless, and pioneer.

I've been a working mom and a SAHM. I'm currently a SAHM who is homeschooling her children. Our situation is different because our two youngest children are handicapped and require a full-time caregiver. However, I like being a SAHM and homeschooling better than how I raised my oldest, when I worked and he went to public school. But I don't think he would have been happy homeschooled. You really have to consider the needs of the entire family, so there is no one way that works for all.

• memario
    memario

SCAN ANYONE?

mem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit