Jehovahs Witnesses; the perfect cult for those who want to be miserable

by 144001 14 Replies latest jw friends

No holidays, no birthdays, no school sports, no "worldy" associations, no extracurriclar school activities whatsoever, no higher education, no Smurfs, no Harry Potter, no speaking to family members who have been DF'd or DA'd, and of course, total control over one's free time, are all characteristics of the miserable cult of the Watchtower.

It seems like depriving Witnesses of all joy in life is the objective of the Watchtower cult. I'm no psychologist, but I can't help but believe the "joy deprivation" inflicted upon Witnesses by the exploitive Watchtower cult is part and parcel to their control objective. It's a way to measure just how much control they have over folks, to ensure they will drink the Kool Aid at the right time and upon command.

I was born into this cult, and left it in my early teens, after a rather ugly period of defiance. I could never understand how anyone could actually convert to such a miserable "faith." For those who converted to this cult voluntarily, can you provide some insight into what it was that convinced you to convert?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Someone would have to be pretty deffective to convert to the Wactower in this day and age. My mother fell for it in the 50's when there was very little information. I escaped in 81.

Nowadays I think you have to be a refugee from a third world country to take the dip.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was born in to the JW's; so I can only guess what makes people convert. But I think it's the promise of paradise, the appearance of happiness and love (at first) in the Kingdom Hall, and the notion that those people have all the answers for you.

At a circuit assembly, I heard a speaker (maybe the district overseer) tell young people, "We aren't trying to take away your fun." Young and foolish as I was, I believed them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    No holidays, no birthdays, no school sports, no "worldy" associations, no extracurriclar school activities whatsoever, no higher education, no Smurfs, no Harry Potter

There are many more NO's.

No overindulging, no drunkenness at all, no questionable entertainment such as Las Vegas-type Burlesque.
    No rock concerts, no Sunday morning golf. No cursing.

No sleeping in on weekends. You gotta burn vacation days for JW conventions where no casual clothes are
    allowed after hours.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I've got joy joy joy joy -down in my heart-where? Down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart!

How can one say they are not happy? The best part about being a Witness is that no Witnesses come knocking at your door- boy would that be a really stupid waste of time.

Is it true that they are not permitted to have windchimes? Ours sound so nice-tubular metal-on a windy day they actually put me to sleep.

Other than a life, what else are they denied?

• megaflower
    megaflower

My husband and I both came in at a time that was very stressful for us. We were at a low point. We had just buried both of our parents and my husbands grandmother within 10 days of each other, The JW spoke of seeing dead loved ones again and all living on a paradice earth. It all sounded so wonderful. My dad was only 54 and I was in my early 20's and had just had mt son who was the first grandchild . They got us in a weaked state and latched on hard.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Well 144001 I will try to answer your question as I was a JW convert. Actually I have berated myself for joining the cult and that my son is an active JW. You obviously feel very unhappy (justifiably) that you didn't have a choice because you were born into it, and find it impossible to understand how a person can convert into such a cruel and miserable cult as an adult.

Firstly people don't join, they are recruited by sophisticated techniques which they are unaware of at the time. Converts are often intelligent, idealistic people looking for the answers to make the world a better place and have lost faith in human ability to bring this about. Many are vulnerable from life experiences and are offered the things they may have lost or never had in their lives such as belonging to a loving family, the promise that their sufferings will soon be at an end, and a chance to see their dead loved ones again in the new system.

In my own case I was intrigued as to the fact that JW's were prepared to go round to peoples houses without pay and answer all the questions that no one else had. I had never known any JW's before and had no religious knowledge previously to compare the NWT with. I did not have any awareness of cults or how they operated, so I was quite defenseless given my other vulnerabilities. When I was baptised I was not aware of the effect of DF and the terrible suffering caused by shunning. In fact I had never really heard of shunning as the JW's don't refer to it in that term. I certainly didn't think of it as the soul destroying cult that it is. I was only ever shown love, understanding, and given a hope that I had never had in my life before. I was thoroughly deceived.

I hope this helps you to understand why people join cults like the JW's.

Maddie

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Yes and since most feel inwardly repressed many start to develop Bi - polar disorders, depression and anxiety add that to the stress of every day living revolving around money matters

perhaps thats why you see so many JWS are heavy drinkers which of course develops its own set of problems.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can answer why people join. They are promised things beyond what they know, and it is choreographed to make it look real. They use the Bible (out of context) to prove that such conditions are imminent, and they will tell you that it is about to happen. They use the Bible to prove that conditions such as just before the Great Tribulation are upon us. Of course, they will not tell you all the rules.

You start studying. If you go through the book at the beginning, you will get some idea of the rules you are going to have to follow (I did that). Of course, there is no way to locate sources that will tell you that the rules are totally bogus. You think it's reasonable--smoking and drug use are bad for you anyways, Christmas is commercialized, fornication spreads disease, etc. So you commit.

The problem is that they are not being totally honest. I have found no fewer than two layers of fraud involved: The Bible itself was put together by one cult, and then misinterpreted by another cult. The original Catholic Church assembled the Bible in such a way to promote their agenda, and left out portions that undermined it (and the fact that Jesus' teaching in parables worked fine for the bicameral peasants to get them to think for themselves but not for us). That gives us the concept of a God that claims to care about us (but an objective look at the Old Testament will prove otherwise).

On top of that, the Watchtower Society further twists the Bible. Russell was among the cults that also started in that day (Mormons and Adventists), and if his principles would have been upheld, the witlesses would have been more like those cults. Then Rutherford added to it, proving that holidays were bad and that field circus was mandatory by taking scriptures out of context. It grew from bad to worse, and the New World Translation was born that altered key scriptures to fit the doctrines. Now, they have the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger that tells people that they need to obey burdensome rules.

Now, you have the recipe for a total scam. People without the Internet still fall for the specious logic, and they cannot see that the Watchtower Society has two levels of fraud. They get suckered in, and then they are hounded to stay in. Things are supposedly going to get better, if only they stay in and do more. They do more, but things only get worse. Eventually, if the person is kept single and isolated from the "sisters", the person is likely to decide to take the religion and shove it.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Hey, people have a right to be miserable. They want to be miserable!

Seriously, the WTBTS is more or less a "private club" posing as a religion for poor people.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but what other religion doesn't want you to spend money to
    celebrate holidays? To acknowledge only a marriage anniversary? Boring! Besides, my
    wife and I just had our 6 year anniversary and we didn't receive any gifts or cards from the
    congregation. The JWs is a religion for the poor and uneducated that gives them this very
    arrogant attitutde that THEY are the only ones to who have the Truth, are part of God's
    organization, will survive Armageddon, will go to Heaven and/or be resurrected to a Paradise
    Earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit