Jehovahs Witnesses; the perfect cult for those who want to be miserable

by 144001 14 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

In my case I was transitioning from one lifestyle to another. Slowly becoming the responsible adult with a responsible job in management. I had already disassociated myself from most of my friends and started to work with an old friend who was now a JW. I regarded the bible as important and the JW's appeared to be well versed and I bought it. That was in the mid 80's before the internet. I suppose it gives the poor and uneducated some dignity but at the same time enslaves them by restricting education and any sort of effort to move up the corporate ladder.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually jws are told that persecution is proof they have God's approval. No persecution means you aren't doing things right.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Firstly people don't join, they are recruited by sophisticated techniques which they are unaware of at the time. Converts are often intelligent, idealistic people looking for the answers to make the world a better place and have lost faith in human ability to bring this about. Many are vulnerable from life experiences and are offered the things they may have lost or never had in their lives such as belonging to a loving family,

What Maddie said ... that describes my situation perfectly. I've been told that my IQ is off the charts; according to others, my idealism is legendary; I've spent countless hours and money trying to uplift those around me. I had a tumultuous, angst-filled childhood. So, you can see when the Witnesses came around, I was ripe for the picking.

If only I had known then what I know now.

Sylvia

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Yes I think it's a form of reductionism when people join a religion that is dark and harsh in contrast to more epicurean philosophies. Often it is a trade-off for power, while you sacrifice individuality. This is essentially true in your more militaristic type of cults, which promise you power and infinite ego. But as a result, you destroy who you are internally.

Randy Watters

http://www.freeminds.org

There are many more NO's. [OnTheWayOut]

When it comes to the Watchtower Cult, there are too many "no's" to list on a web page.

Is it true that they are not permitted to have windchimes? Ours sound so nice-tubular metal-on a windy day they actually put me to sleep. [worldtraveller]

Wind chimes are demonic, and as acceptable for a Witness to own as a DVD of the Exorcist.

My husband and I both came in at a time that was very stressful for us. We were at a low point. We had just buried both of our parents and my husbands grandmother within 10 days of each other, The JW spoke of seeing dead loved ones again and all living on a paradice earth. It all sounded so wonderful. My dad was only 54 and I was in my early 20's and had just had mt son who was the first grandchild . They got us in a weaked state and latched on hard. [megaflower]

Now this is what I recall was their favorite tactic; taking advantage of folks when they are experiencing traumatic times. Promise the bereaved they will soon see the decedent again, etc. They will do whatever it takes to ensnare the vulnerable.

Firstly people don't join, they are recruited by sophisticated techniques which they are unaware of at the time. . . . I was only ever shown love, understanding, and given a hope that I had never had in my life before. I was thoroughly deceived. I hope this helps you to understand why people join cults like the JW's. [Maddie]

Thank you Maddie, that was helpful.

The JWs is a religion for the poor and uneducated that gives them this very arrogant attitutde that THEY are the only ones to who have the Truth, are part of God's
    organization, will survive Armageddon, will go to Heaven and/or be resurrected to a Paradise Earth. [sacolton]

So, to summarize, poor folks join the JWs to obtain a certain power/ego they wouldn't have without it? I think I have seen examples of this, but not all JWs are poor. Many are middle class and some are wealthy as well.

I had a tumultuous, angst-filled childhood. So, you can see when the Witnesses came around, I was ripe for the picking. [snowbird]

Another example of the "get them in transition" tactic?

Often it is a trade-off for power, while you sacrifice individuality. This is essentially true in your more militaristic type of cults, which promise you power and infinite ego. But as a result, you destroy who you are internally. Randy Watters [dogpatch]

The JWs certainly do provide power to those who would otherwise be powerless in our society. Unfortunately, many use that power in an abusive manner, thereby inflicting further damage on those exposed to the Watchtower cult.

Thanks to all those quoted above, as well as Jaguarbass, Gopher, Homerovah, WTWizard, Wha Happened, and last but definitely not least, Blondie. It seems to me that those likely to convert to the Watchtower cult are those experiencing some sort of traumatic life event, including death, divorce, etc. or those in transition between phases of life or relationships/careers, as well as the power hungry poor folks whose lives have been entirely devoid of any personal power/authority but who enjoy the Watchtower cult as it is the one place in life in which they are treated with respect.

In my parents' case, it was the traumatic life event category that caught them in the trap. They toiled away their lives as slaves of the subhuman gristle that crack the whips on the rank and file with a fury comparable to that exhibited by a eunuch just after castration without anesthesia. I cannot quantify the damage this cult inflicted upon my family; no money could undo the pain this cult caused on us and so many other families. I can only hope that those who are caught by this Cult's sophisticated brainwashing techniques will break away from the mental bondage of the Watchtower cult before it causes any further damage to their lives. And as for the "governing body," I hope that these power hungry subhumans some day learn to be human beings, instead of the evil trash they have become comfortable being.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit