Science is like the WTBTS...(always coming out with New Light)

by journey-on 67 Replies latest jw friends

• isnrblog
    isnrblog

When an organization claims to be directed by the almighty God, who has all knowledge of science, there should be no need for "new light"

• TD
    TD
    Why is it we can accept New Light as an excuse when it comes to science, but cannot accept it when it comes to matters of theology?

Depends on whether the theologian in question has presented his ideas merely as the product of a sincere through fallible student of scripture or whether he has presented them as the product of some sort of plenary inspiration or divine guidance.

When it comes to the JW's, I think you know the answer to that question

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I agree journey-on and funnily enough I've been exploring these very ideas myself.

My conclusion is that both science and the WBTS reinterpret their past history from the present. The 'truth' is 'made' to seem progressive.

This is not a criticism of science though, but just an acceptance that we humans like to weave inspiring stories around facts.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

But there have been cases where scientists that disagree with the mainstream view of the current science have been stripped

of their position and openly ridiculed amongst their colleagues. Same thing, different venue.

The other thing that happens (more commonly) is that if you don't kowtow to scientific orthodoxy, you don't get research grants and are starved out of practicing.

This happens in climate science with Glowball Worming.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    First of all, this is NOT the same. Being fired is a lot different from being shunned by your family. And not being allowed to talk to people.

It is similar in many respects, it is an effort to silence a dissenting voice, for whatever reason.

Burn

• DT
    DT

There are some important differences and similarities. They are both human pursuits and tend to make some of the same mistakes. However, science has tools of reason that can help to avoid some difficulties. Some scientists have been persecuted or criticised for advocating unpopular views, but have been later vindicated. The Watchtower society doesn't allow evidence to reform their teachings. They only change when it is convenient and continue to slander apostates, even when they are proved to be right.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    First of all, this is NOT the same. Being fired is a lot different from being shunned by your family. And not being allowed to talk to people.

It is similar in many respects, it is an effort to silence a dissenting voice, for whatever reason.

Examples?
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I agree that science and the WBTS are worlds apart when it comes to reasoning and engaging in discussion and expolring controversial findings etc etc

but I think journey-on is specifically focusing on the new light issue.

• heathen
    heathen

Yah , you are talking apples and oranges. Science never said it was infallible .

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Science is supposed to learn and make progress through trial-and-error. When something new is learned in laboratories or through mass experiments, it is vetted to find if it is repeatable or not. Thus new learnings come.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with "new light" from science revealing that "old light" was wrong.
    The place where Science is like WTBTS is that many in Science say that the "New Light" is
    an established fact. In reality, Scientific New Light is only new clearer theory most often. It
    may negate old light, but doesn't always present itself as absolute established fact.

I think the problem comes in because the public doesn't want to read your book if you say
    that your new light might not be conclusive. You might not get research grants if you say that
    this new light is interesting, but not absolute.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit