Science is like the WTBTS...(always coming out with New Light)

by journey-on 67 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    LOL at The Oracle. Talk about JWesque! I'll bet a dollar to a donut you are or were the Theocratic Ministry School Overseer.

Indeed, I hate sounding like a bash on Oracle, but the only "insightful and balanced" replies are the ones that correspond with what The Oracle believes.

Sorry Oracle.

Burn

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Ouch, Journey-On!

LOL at The Oracle. Talk about JWesque! I'll bet a dollar to a donut you are or were the Theocratic Ministry School Overseer.

That one hurt.

But you didn't peg me correctly with TMS Overseer guess. It's true I did do it for a while, but it was a long time ago and it's the assignment I spent the least amount of time at! Are you trying to say that I was giving a "G" to everyone for their replies? I guess that's really not so bad, though is it?

I suppose their could be worse JW traits to hang on to....

The Oracle

• TD
    TD

BTS,

Have you read the Foundation trilogy?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Yah , you are talking apples and oranges. Science never said it was infallible .

Heathen, While this may be true, many people worship science like a religion. Some of that evidence is right here on JWD. Warlock

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

oracle

I didn't get a 'g' or a' w' or or anything.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Indeed, I hate sounding like a bash on Oracle, but the only "insightful and balanced" replies are the ones that correspond with what The Oracle believes.

Sorry Oracle.

Burn

I knew that you would eventually say something that I would agree with BTS!

No need to feel sorry at all for speaking the truth! And I certainly don't consider it a bashing.

When I commend someone for a comment, the commendation is of course coming from my frame of reference - my perspective. And since I don't have a split personality, it's the only opinion I can offer here on JWD! I certainly don't claim to have an infallible viewpoint, it is just my opinion.

Hence my concluding comment applauding our freedom to offer up our viewpoints.

Love me or hate me,

I remain,

The Oracle

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Have you read the Foundation trilogy?

Several times. I read "Foundation and Empire" when I was in 3rd grade from the school library. My dad bought the whole series on paperback, including the later sequels and prequels when I was a boy. Fantastic.

Burn

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

OTWO

I think the problem comes in because the public doesn't want to read your book if you say
    that your new light might not be conclusive. You might not get research grants if you say that
    this new light is interesting, but not absolute.

I agree

A better way to say it might be that, too many relativists want to live in an absolute universe.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

quietly leaving,

your comments were luke warm so I had to vomit them out of my mouth.

ONLY KIDDING!!!

Perhaps your comments were the most balanced of all !!

I agree that we can't put our full trust in science. We shouldn't blindly follow anyone - or any group.

I believe we all have a responsibility to think for ourselves and never dogmatically dismiss a viewpoint because it is so very different from what we are accustomed to hearing.

Just about everyone who has landed here, shares that basic ideal. I suppose that is why so many of us enjoy coming here to read what each of us have to say about things.

Freedom to think and to express one's own real and honest thoughts is something that former JWs appreciate and value more than most, given our sordid pasts in a mind control group.

Having your mind controled and then being able to break free gives one a sense of euphoria that always seems to be there.

Peace!

The Oracle

• quietlyleaving

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit