My cat has diabetes

by momzcrazy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I took him to the vet yesterday because he was drinking alot of water, peeing alot, and losing weight.

I walked in and said, "My cat has diabetes".

The vet said, "Well ma'am, what makes you think that?" So I told him everything. After waiting 15 minutes for the blood test results, he came back out. He showed me his blood sample, and the serum that was white instead of clear. He said that means he has high lipids. VERY high.

The glucose numbers for a normal cat are 70-150, my cat was 569! I was right. He is now on a special diet and on Monday he needs to spend a few days at the vets. They have to figure out how much insulin he needs.

I am going to be giving a cat insulin injections! After I had kids my animals became animals, not my kids anymore. I never thought I would give this much care to an animal. But it is easily treated once they figure out his dosage. And he is a great mouser and a good, patient cat. So he is worth it.

Who else has or has had a cat with diabetes?

momz

• BFD
    BFD

Hi, momz. My cat Sam has a hyper thyroid and I give him his medicine orally once a day. He is 18 years old and in pretty good shape otherwise. He really likes to talk a lot and he is driving me crazy when he howls in the middle of the night waking me up.

Yesterday I was back at the vet with Simon. He got into a fight and has a nasty bite on his hind quarters. The vet says it's a cat bite. I swear when my vet sees me coming he must think CA-CHING!!!!

BFD

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Me too. I paid $137 for the visit yesterday. I dread the bill for next week!

I bet you didn't know that Simon had a cat bite huh? Good thing you paid the vet to tell you that! lol

• BFD
    BFD

I haven't added it up officially (kinda don't want to know) but I'm sure I've spent close to $2000 at the vet since November. It started with Sam's weight loss, He needed blood tests then medication. Then Simon's punture wound, they kept him for to days after the drain was put in. Mimi's on-going ear infection, medication and then 2 operations, another 2 day hospital stay for her. I bet my vet might start to think I have Munchhousen by Proxy Syndrorme!

I had to take Simon when I noticed the bite on him. Last time when he had the punture wound I thought he healed but instead he was all infected inside and almost died from it. They had to put a drain in him and it was really gross to have to clean it after he was home. I didn't want to take any chances this time. His visit yesterday was only $64.00 but I stocked up on flea meds for three months (for 4 animals) so the total bill yesterday was about $150

BFD

• chickpea
    chickpea

not a cat, but a pug dog had diabetes.... she survived well past a year with the insulin injections ( she was already 9 when diagnosed)

even the elementary school-aged kids learned to inject her ( supervised of course!) .... they became very proficient at drawing the insulin into the syringe and no one ever had a stick!

i am willing to bet that whole proposition will be trickier with a cat! feeding time is a good distraction.....

hope he responds well to the therapy

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Thanks chickpea. I hope he does well too, but he's already 8. My kids are very attatched to him, so I will be sad when he dies. When they took the blood for his test yesterday, he gave no trouble. But he's also feeling bad. When he feels better it will be more tricky.

momz

• watson
    watson

We've got it rough in this country.

Someone ought to start a thread on what we are willing to pay to have a pet.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Exactly Watson! I still cannot believe I am doing this. If it was cancer I would just have him put down, or if he was really old anyway. But this seems simple to treat after the initial vet stay. If he doesn't get better I will have him put down.

momz

• watson
    watson

I hope he comes through it ok.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I don't have any pets; but I worked with people who had animals that they loved dearly. One nurse had a dog with diabetes, she'd have to leave work to go give the dog his insulin injections; another person's dog had anxiety and this dog was on Paxil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit