Have You Ever Heard of an Atheist Being Visited by a Demon?

by hamilcarr 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I actually have experienced a 'poltergeist' once. That was when I was just a kid, and therefore long before I became an atheist, but the experience was real either way. The problem is that since then, I've come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for how it may have happened. I believed it was a 'demon' (ghost) back then because in addition to the experience itself (and my JW belief system at the time), I then was told that this had happened in that house before, and then a story of some fortune teller 'witch' who had once lived there...

Not sure what to make of it, since I can't go back to verify if there is a totally reasonable explanation (test my 'hypothesis') or not.

Have never encountered anything like it ever since, though. Ironically, that incident kept me a believer for some time longer than I'd been if I hadn't experienced it, 'cause I figured "Well - I had that experience, so at least there's something there".

To the extent I believe some of these kinds of stories are real (sounds and visions of 'spirits'), I'm thinking more along the lines of some 'temporal shift' occurring in certain spots; some anomaly in space-time (although highly unlikely), or some echo from another dimension. Not other living beings from another dimension, but a 'feedback loop' from things that have happened in this dimension, "bouncing off" another dimension back into this one perhaps, and 'replayed', like a 'metaphysical tape recorder'. Or perhaps more likely, some areas may have some kind of energy (could be as simple as electromagnetism and/or infra-sound) that triggers various regions of our brain (some experiments seem to suggest this as a possibility at least). Or of course, when it happens to one individual, can be some mental problem or imbalance of some sort.

But there are probably hundreds of different causes behind all the experiences people say they've had, everything from mere coincidences to something not so easily explained.

As for the kind of 'demons' I was taught about as a JW, they have silenced completely since I left the beliefs behind. I used to pride myself in being able to 'sense' demonic activity (like when hearing a certain type of rock music for instance...) and would of course be scared half to death by 'demonic' movies. But nowadays it's completely silent. There's no one hiding behind the shower curtain either (which is a shame, come to think of it ).

• JAVA
    JAVA
    I think yes one can receive a visit from them and remain an atheist. Then the problem returns to the theist side to prove the unprovable again.

Hello 5go, and thanks for the follow-up. I'm not a believer, but would find it difficult to remain such if visited by a god or demon. I'm not talking about some dream-state vision of a spirit that can be caused by various possibilities. I'm thinking of a visit in the here and now, where I can ask questions, see, touch and feel. If I had such a visit, I would become a believer. However, I'm not holding the air in my lungs for that to happen.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    I'm thinking of a visit in the here and now, where I can ask questions, see, touch and feel. If I had such a visit, I would become a believer.

I think I agree.

If it was a one time thing and all it did was scare me, I'd have my head examined. But if I could ask it questions that I could test the answers to later on. Or if it left some darn good evidence.

But I DEFINATELY wouldn't expect other people to believe me. I'd keep it to myself. I think if you are so deluded that you can tell somebody a story like that and expect him to believe you, you're nuts even if it DID happen.

Lore - W.W.S.D.?

• JAVA
    JAVA

Hi Lore, you bring up an interesting point. If I was really visited by a god or demon, I'm not sure it would be safe telling others. Religious belief is based on what you can't see or prove. Just because I know there really is a god or demon doesn't mean others would believe it--and for good reason. Yeah, lets keep these visits from the spirit world to ourselves for right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit