Went to a JW "funeral" on Saturday

by Dorktacular 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I hope you keep in touch with your friend - a call now and then will be more helpful than any JW bullshit. I am so sorry for him and for his mother. I know I'm a total stranger, but you can let your friend know that Hortensia sends her condolences, if you think of it.

• StAnn
    StAnn

My uncle was not a JW but took their magazines when they came to the door out of respect for my mother. My mother is a JW and my father is a JW by osmosis and my dad made the arrangements. So, a functionally illiterate JW did the funeral at the funeral home and talked about how much Elmer loved to read the magazines about Jesus and Jehovah. I had to pop up and tell him, truthfully, that Elmer couldn't read! Not a word, not even a road sign! That shut him up.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Thanks, Hortensia, I will let him know. I've told him about this web site and he will probably begin posting soon.

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

Due to the sales pitches at JW funerals, I have instructed my wife, and it is in my will,

that when I die I do not want any funeral ceremony at al!!!. Cremate me and put my ashes in the

back yard! Period. What a shame that this religion drives people to make decisions like this.

TBTS

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    My wife said it was a lot like being suckered into going to somebody's house for dinner and then it turns into a sales pitch for Amway or some other multilevel marketing ploy.

I can so relate to that quote. I am going to use that.

Great that you supported your friend. Sounds like he needed it.

• myababes
    myababes

My dad died a couple of months after he was reinstated after being DF for smoking. It was left to me to arrange the funeral at the time cos my mum was in bits. The self righteous sanctimoneous, b of a presiding overseer came to see us the day he died to tell us he would be doing the funeral and told me to look on the bright side that at least cos dad was reinstated if he hadn't been then unfortunately he couldn't have had a funeral. I saw red. needless to say he didn't take the funeral(dad couldn't stand him). I got another elder who my dad at least liked to do it.

Who do these pratts really think they are

• And He Ran
    And He Ran

So true, they're recruitment drives, JW funerals, I went to one last year and it made my blood boil, there was hardly anything said about the person who'd died or what he had done in his 84 years on this earth.

How come the Witness funeral is the same in England as it is in the USA? Do they all use some sort of template?

• Maddie
    Maddie

I think their outline instruction is to spend 70% of time on JW propaganda.

Maddie

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

This is the same story about my friend's funeral talk. The speaker spent less than two minutes talking about what a good person he was, the rest (30 minutes) was recruitment crap. His non-JW relatives were appalled, How in the hell do they think anyone not familiar with their coldheartedness would join after that kind of "memorial"? I mentioned how upset the relatives were at the lack of RESPECT for the deseased to someone active, and his reply was, "So what's the problem?"

brzfst

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit