Went to a JW "funeral" on Saturday

by Dorktacular 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Cc81
    Cc81

heartless evil people.. thats what most of them are.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

There are nothing but Amway presentation cloaked in a supposed funeral. Your spouse is exactly right that is all most of them are. I did go to one where the brother giving the talk didn't give the WT spiel, it was all about the one who passed away, and he done all he could to support verbally then the bereaved. He gave a "wordly" talk about death and dieing and it was great to be at a funeral that wasn't all about becoming a jdub.

He naturally was counseled about it later and good for him he told the elder who tried to counsel him to shove it. I just laughed at the idiot for counseling someone who was trying to comfort the familty and had the audacity to make the funeral about him and not the society. Priceless

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Dorktacular,

I am apalled by your experience. I am a fading JW and recently attended a JW funeral of a sister's mother who was not a JW.

The noise was deafening - it was like the noise that you hear during the intermission of an assembly.

I looked around in shock and wondered what the heck are these people here for?

The talk was 5 % about the person and a 95% sales pitch and the resurrection hope.

It was not a funeral at all and had no sense of occasion.

JWs learn to be the most unnatural people in the world.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I went anyway because I knew the man and because my very loyal friend made the long trip to my mother's funeral 7 years ago when he didn't have two dimes to rub together and really couldn't afford the trip.

We go to funerals to comfort the living. You did just that.YOU were a real friend. Imagine the poor man with no one there after being berated from the platform.

I can't imagine losing your father, summoning up the courage to go to the funeral where you know you won't be welcome, then being verbally beaten by the speaker. No, let me change that. Unfortunately I can......

• 5go
    5go

I won't go anymore period. They are not funerals or memorial services anyway.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Good for you for going out of respect for your friend and his father. That's how I view funerals; showing respect for the deceased and his family. When my father died my husband's grandparents drove themselves from Grand Junction CO to SLC Utah, and they just sat there. But they were there for me at a horrible time, their mere presence comforted me.

momz

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Just to be funny, I've instructed my wife to actually have an Amway presentation at my funeral when I die. (Because if I had a funeral before I die, that would be kinda weird).

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Good for you for going. I know how hard it is to set foot in a KH after you've left, and it was very good of you to stay as long as you did afterwards to be there for your friend. I'm sure your presence gave him alot of comfort and strength. Not only did he have to deal with his father dying, but he had to endure being made to feel 2" tall by that outrageous "talk". That "brother" should have been spoken to afterwards about his apalling behaviour!

I'm going to soon have to go to a KH for my uncle's funeral. I swore I would never go to a KH again, but after my last visit with him, I will go. Not looking forward to that either, he's hard core JW and I can just imagine what the "talk" will be all about - his service to Jehovah, his stand for no blood etc. I don't think I'll hear much personal about his life. *sigh*

BB

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

If my husband ever dies, god forbid, I am having the local christian motorcycle church give the service, and all his biker buddies lead the procession. With all their colors flying! And Zakk Wylde perform at the service.

I want to have African American sprituals sang at mine, they are so beautiful.

How's that for anti-JW?

momz

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

went to my wifes uncles service..... it was held in an ASSEMBLY HALL............ same old song and dance....... jw bullcrap and how he was such a saint....... the man abused his wife every day but the entire district thought he walked on water.

point of it was we wouldnt have dirtied the soles of our shoes in that place...... except it was for the living. her aunt and their daughter, thats it the rest could go drowned in their syrupy lies.

one good thing...... i got to look down at my wifes ex bf and dismiss him like he was a fly........... lol and i didnt even know who the fool was lol. little scrub came up to me and asked me to move cause they were keeping the area clear for family.......... HA. he didnt even have the stones to try and insist or reason...... he got dismissed and ran away with his tail between his legs.......... that alone made up for that funeral......... especially when i found out who he was lol. wife always told me he was spineless........... i cant disagree.

my dad pissed off my entire family when he was makeing my grandfathers arraingments............. my grandfather hated jws............ dad went through the motions of getting some family pastor..... but when that fell through he called in a brother.............. the brother gave the talk and used the king james.......... but it was still a jw talk and worthless. i just recently found out just how pissed they were now they know that he is shunning me.

bottom line is you went to comfort your friend........... you did that........ good job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit