Seeking God

by Satanus 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Budda

Yah, that's the big difference. Christianity has god out there, somewhere, while the people are sinful, cannot/should not trust themselves, or see themselves as good. Salvation is found out there in a godperson called jesus. Faith is essential. Without faith is only doom.

Seeking god within allows for direct experience. Faith is unnecesary. The person already has everything, he merely needs to find it.

DD

I'm not familiar w many pantheists. I know that christian mystics have often come close to pantheism. Little toe is a panentheist, which is another variation. I consider myself a pantheist. However, imo, the god in everything is not a god like the bible god. Secondly, 'god' is not just in everything else, it is also in all people, including myself. It is the spirit in people. The question that follows is, does 'god' worship 'god'? The answer is obviously, no. I don't worship people or nature. However, i have a fair bit of respect for nature.

S

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Just bookmarking.

The discussion sent me on a little search tangent through the web and led me to a survey of people's self identified religious beliefs (U.S.)

I don't want to hyjack your conversation, so I posted it here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/153129/1.ashx

I'm kinda having a bad brain day, but this thread got me to thinking about where/how different ideas mesh, and I was thinking on where Deism Taoism and the various aforementuoned P-theisms junction.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

S

However, imo, the god in everything is not a god like the bible god.

You've made the distinction very clear. I agree, I don't believe God is the sum total of the universe. When the universe disappears my God (God of the bible) will be alive and well.

However, i have a fair bit of respect for nature.

Having worked in the field of wildlife law enforcement for 16 years, so do I.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mouthy

Didn't jesus say that the day was coming when people would be doing greater things than he did? You have his permission to surpass him. Bible has him call himself the gate/gatekeeper. Most sheep are content to lie down in/at the gate/gatekeeper for the rest of their lives, never dreaming of checking out the pastures on the other side. Oh well.

DD

Good for your god. Funny though, i haven't been able to find him, in all my years of striving for him.

The 'god' in the pantheist's universe isn't it's sum total, iether. It is merely a vapor that emanates from the source. If bible god exists, he would have come from the same source.

Darkuncle

Study of taoism, buddhism and relatives is interesting, indeed. They generally try to help people to learn to do it for themselves, as compared to developing a faith bubble, as believers do. 'Course, my own view is only the very smallest portion of the all, all that is. I will check out your link.

S

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

S

If bible god exists, he would have come from the same source.

He didn't come from anywhere, He's always been!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

DD,

What conundrum. Lets colaspe everthing God, you, me, the infinite number of universes, and all dimensions that exist, all thoughts that have ever been thought, in to a tiny space infinitely small and in existence for .10 to -33power of a second and then get back to me when you got the answer.

• Satanus
    Satanus

DD

The inherent problem w the bible god is that the bible says he cannot be percieved by man. Humans can only go by faith in secondary objects, artifacts (creation) claimed to be made by said god, jesus, and a man made book (bible). Juxtaposed against this, in the eastern way, illumination is encouraged. It's a seeing, directly, through spiritual practices.

Some things to consider: bible says god is spirit, bible says we have a spirit. Are both spirits of the same nature? Can our spirits be used in the exploration of god's spirit? If not, why not?

S

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

frankie String theory is your problem, not mine. It's the old argument by science for an eternal universe, now called a multiverse. I don't believe it. S

Juxtaposed against this, in the eastern way, illumination is encouraged.

I see illumination (revelation) as a gift from God. Only given to some.

Are both spirits of the same nature?

No, one is eternal (infinite) the other isn't.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

frankie

What conundrum. Lets colaspe everthing God, you, me, the infinite number of universes, and all dimensions that exist, all thoughts that have ever been thought, in to a tiny space infinitely small and in existence for .10 to -33power of a second and then get back to me when you got the answer.

Are you trying to get back to the point where God created the law of causality?

• Satanus
    Satanus

DD

Ok. You do it w your god, or he does it w you when he wants. Whatever. One more question though, when do you see your soul/spirit ending?

My view is that i (spirit) came from the source, and will eventually return there. The source could be likened to a humoungous ocean. And, like the ocean, water vapor continuously evaporates. The water molecules go off into the atmosphere, to clouds, falls in rain, hail, snow, goes through the ground, or taken up by plants, eaten by animals, etc etc etc. Each water molecule can have an infinite number of different routes or paths. Each one eventually goes into rivers and returns to the ocean, from which it came. I see our spiritual existences as something like that. We have all these experiences which help us to grow/evolve, and then, eventually we return to the tranquil state in the source from which we came. Could be wrong, of course. Doesn't matter what i think. What will happen, will happen, regardless.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit