JW Ex-Wife taking daughter out of school for holidays

by LowTech 14 Replies latest jw friends

• LowTech
    LowTech

When growing up, I don't remember being taken out of school for much, but my ex-wife takes my daughter out for so many holidays. I just found out that she took her out thursday and friday for Valentines day. Is this even legal? Any of you have any advice?

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I know in Ontario, Canada if a child misses school because of religious reasons it is not counted against them for their attendance records at least.

BObbi

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

My siblings and I attended. We would go to the office and do busy work. As we got older, we were given little assignments to do.

We believed we were giving a witness for Jehovah. Sometimes it felt like persecution but we always compared it to the real persecution that was going on in Malawi and then it didn't feel so bad.

-Aude.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

'Holidays' don't happen here. We were only ever humiliated by sitting out of ANZAC day events and the easter bonnet parade.

Give her play money on non-holidays. She'll notice the difference.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

The next step will be home schooling.My sister home schooled 4 of her litter of 5.Frightening,especialy since my sister was never the,um,mensa type...

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I kind of think it doesn't let kids toughen up if you pull them out of school for every little holiday. A few I know who did the home school thing taught their kids fine. But segregating

them did not do them much good, they could not relate to kids there own age. They were like miniature adults. I guess everything has its up & down side. It's hard to really know what the

right thing is.

Hpoe4Others

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

And Valentine's day isn't even a holiday. It's just people expressing affection.

Wait I forgot. Witnesses have no affection.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't rely solely on our advice, contact jwchildcustody.com

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

While I was in I also tended to take my girls out if their class was having a holiday party. I remember going to the library or office during parties and always feeling horrible. And for me to take them and then within a few hours just go right back is too hard. They never seemed to do much on party days anyway. So I just kept them home and we all had a day off.

momz

• StAnn
    StAnn

I remember sitting out in the hallway in a little chair while my classmates were inside eating birthday or holiday cake. It was very lonely and humiliating. I'd much rather have stayed home.

In the US, public schools have deteriorated greatly since I was a child and many people, myself included, homeschool their children. However, I do it for academic reasons, not religious ones. Much of what is taught in schools today is "just so much fluff." My children need one-on-one attention. Also, I homeschool year-round so that there is no problem with retention. Of course, my husband and I are both college educated and believe strongly in the merits of a solid, well-rounded education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit