Wow! TV is stupid!

by LtCmd.Lore 26 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

supposedly you can get web tv with satellite stations for a one time fee for the software . I mostly watch sports like football and hockey , my shows other than that are Jon Stewart , Stephen Colbert , sometimes watch american idol . Not a whole lot of stuff keeps me tuning in regularly .

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
  • Extreme Engineering
  • Mythbusters
  • African American Lives
  • History Detectives
  • ImageMakers (independent short films)
  • The Jewish Americans
  • Martin Yan's China – great stuff; today they showed a sidewalk vendor making sugar candy in the shape of assorted animals. The techniques were almost identical to glassblowing - but smaller scale and lower temperatures :)
  • Those are all good. I've never seen ImageMakers.

Unfortunately I don't think my TV gets any of those. (You get what you pay for I guess.)

I used to like PBS, they would only beg for money once a year for a month. But now it's practically every other month. And they play commercials now anyway! (They just do it in between shows instead of during them. Meaning you have to put up with commercials, but you don't get to use them as a bathroom break.) When they actually play programs they're pretty good. I like Nova, Mystery ! and Masterpiece theatre.

Commercials are another huge problem with TV. It makes sense to have commercials on public stations, but if you're PAYING for cable, you shouldn't have to deal with commercials. The internet definitely has 1up on TV in that way.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I like some infomercials. Like those Lipozene commercials with that attractive blonde lady. I love her! And what a great product! It's clinically proven to melt away POUNDS of PURE BODY FAT with no exercise or change in diet necessary! I also like that stocky bearded guy who seems to be THE informercial pitchman right now. I think he started out a few years ago with the Oxy Clean stuff and they must have scored a big hit because now he's selling everything. On some of them he almost seems to be laughing, like he's thinking to himself "I can't believe how much money I'm making selling crap on TV!"

Here's a link to a funny edit of the lipozene commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7gFqlZIdIo

There's good stuff on TV though. Ever watch The McLaughlin Group or This Week with George Stephanopoulos? Great programs!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I've been working far from home since June and have no tv where I live during the week.

TV withdrawal hit hard so after renting DVDs of tv shows, I found a few sites that broadcast old and current shows.

Here's a thread I started that lists a few: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/27/146454/1.ashx

Hope this helps.

-Aude.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

And nobody has mentioned Jerry Springer?

I was a big Star Trek TNG fan. Futurama's cancelled, and The Simpsons was the best show ever, but that hasn't been good for years now. I want to start a poll asking when it jumped the shark... Death of Maude Flanders? Homer getting raped by a Panda?

So my TV watching consists of, uh, well, here I am not watching TV.

Documentaries, the NFL, and my basketball team, that's pretty much it.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The value of television as an entertainment media has diminished slowly over the years, my theory is that because we now have cable vision in every home, with re-mote

controls at hand . The producers of the shows know this and they are aware of the fact if you do not grab a viewers attention in matter of seconds

the channel will most likely be changed to another and the show will lose its attention and market. This to me is behind all of the trash and flash that gets put out.

and thats why all of the obvious shocking garbage that you see today. In my opinion quality programming is way down. I have a cable box myself with over 100 channels and

even with all those I still find my self at times turning off the TV shortly after turning it on.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You have to watch it on Tuesday and Thursday evenings if you want the best programs. After all, that's when the Devil puts all the good stuff on so he can get people to stay home from the boasting session. (I remember when I was in, the Devil forgot about the good old VCR).

I can remember the TV of the 1970s. You had Thr Brady Bunch, Nanny and the Professor, Bewitched, The Partridge Family, Gilligan's Island, Leave It to Beaver, My Three Sons, The Waltons, Happy Days--the list goes on. Quiz shows of the 1970s were also much more interesting than the crap they have on these days. I would rather watch a quiz show like Who/What/Where, Winning Streak, Jackpot, Three On a Match, The Wizard of Odds, High Rollers, The Magnificent Marble Machine, Baffle, and the like. At least in those games, people had to earn their prizes.

These days, TV is all crap. You get to watch people getting voted off an island or some other crap situation. The quiz shows are all dumbed down these days--I have seen too many Price is Right and Family Feud shows where the game is a giveaway. They have to guess what is the most expensive, and the choice is so blatantly obvious. I watched Cliff Hanger enough to know that if you guess $20 for the first prize, $30 for the second, and $40 for the third, you will almost always win the game. And that Family Feud is ridiculously easy to get the needed 200 points to win the final game.

It's all laziness. When you have a few giant conglomerates controlling all TV, they can get away with putting crap on without worrying about people changing channels (to another one that they own). The same happened to radio. I would say it all started in 1996, when a few giants were given the green light to go ahead and buy out all radio and TV stations. What's left is a TV that is almost always turned off. At least the infomercials provide a minimal amount of entertainment as you get to listen to a rant about some gadget that barely performs. Or those Time/Life CDs which you can easily download (for less) all the songs on Rhapsody and get long versions.

They did forget about the Internet. But, even there they are trying to get regulations in place that will allow a few companies to control the whole thing. Any dissident viewpoints will simply be disallowed (they will not post it), and anyone that starts a web site will have to go through the few companies that run the show. At least Google, so far, is independent and allows a wide variety of differing opinions.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

try sitting in a dark room for 12 hours a night with an extremely sick or terminal patient who is asleep trying to find SOMETHING to ocupy the time. The hospital room are small so you can't move around much and it's SOOOOOOOOOO boring. All there is to do is try to pick fights with people online.

And the TV! Even WITH cable come about 3am? Yeah it's solid crap!

• Warlock
    Warlock

T.V. is the Devil.

The Internet is the Anti-Christ.

Warlock

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I think its unfortunate that TV has so much crap on it because many elderly and the sick in hospitals view it to pass the time

because they have nothing else to do.

Another thing that changed TV over the years is when they discovered that teenagers were the highest viewing audience so they started

target marketing directly at that age group, and putting adults in a secondary concern

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit