Can I forbid my ex to see my son???

by babygirl75 50 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    If you hear a message that sounds abusive, press pause, ask your child to leave the room and carry on listening to it. I'm not saying he should be nasty over the phone, but now that you know he can be, it's one way of protecting your child.

Excuse me, but that is not protecting the child, that is protecting the FATHER from his child knowing what a douche he really is. That's like a mother telling her children that "Daddy went on a business trip for a few years", when really his ass is behind bars. Why shouldn't children know exactly what kind of people there parents are?

• Quandry
    Quandry

I work in an elementary school. One that has many emotionally disturbed children that act out their frustrations. I can tell you this. Many of them have problems at home such as you are describing. Can you imagine thinking that you are the cause of such fighting between mom and dad and being torn in two directions? I can promise you that you do not want your child in a counselor's office sitting in a corner crying his heart out after fighting with other children or throwing chairs around a room because he cannot deal with the upset that he has no control over.

Is the money worth it? You have a child. Today. You do not know what tomorrow will bring. You, the child, or dad could become terminally ill or be hit by a bus. So you can't get the money YOU ARE OWED by dad. The frustration is not worth it. Yes, do what you legally can, but it just may be that you can't right now get the back child support. Your child NEEDS A FATHER. HIS OWN FATHER. Later, if you deny visitation, he will resent you for it, good dad or bad dad.

I do have children, have been around children in schools for years, and am 56 years old. I am giving you my best advice. DO NOT involve your child in custody or money issues. Yes, if dad is in prison, he needs to know. Otherwise, do not downgrade dad. You are the one who has primary custody. Just be glad of that. Appreciate the time with your child, as they grow up so quickly. Try to raise your child's self-esteem so that he can be successful.

Another poster gave good advice. Be the better person. Your child can learn what true character is.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

sweetface,

If someone hurls abuse at their ex, it doesn't mean they hurl abuse at everyone. Just because they don't get on with one person, doesn't mean they can't get on with everyone. Being a douche to one person doesn't mean they're generally a douche, full stop.

baby..., I got what you meant. I think it's just semantics.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Clearly there IS abuse. Please don't ever think the police don't want to do something or aren't interested. They are here for your protection. Each and EVERY time there is any kind of abuse-drugs, DUI, violence, you are obliated for SOOO many reasons to get the police involved. Keep a record of all incidents and report them!! File charges-make his life a living hell.

Sooner or later, he will back off. He sounds like scum. Keep calling child protective services as well.

DO IT. The alternative for kids is unpalateable.

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

I am a loooooong way from reading all the responses to this question, but I know a thing or two about this subject. First of all, custody/visitation is a separate issue from child support. That kid needs to learn things on his own, including the fact that his father doesn't pay what some judge, using someone's (Lord knows who) guidelines, told him he legally had to pay, regardless of whether or not it was realistically feasible! 99 times out of 100 you will find that the person paying child support thinks it's too much and the person receiving it thinks it's too little, unless you reverse the situation, then suddenly, like magic, opinions change! Everyone I know who is in the position of having to pay child support is living below the standard that their income would allow if the children were still living with them. It is much more affordable and practical to take care of a child in one's home than it is to pay a hunk out of each paycheck to someone else to do it. Plus it takes the fun out of it, so in that regard I completely understand your ex's actions in buying toys for his son. It is, in my opinion, far better than paying you to do it! If you feel there are things your son needs, why not tell his father to take him shopping for a few cool shirts for school or some neat pants to wear? Build it up to your son and get him excited about it, and mention that he should suggest it to his father! Then he'll be getting something more than non- payment of child support and toys!

It seems in almost every case that parents forget what life is like for the child. They were meant to be raised in a family environment! A man and woman divorce each other, but the kids still have the right to live normal lives as much as possible! You should ask yourself constantly, "What would today be like for (your child's name here) if (the other parent) and I were still together?" AND THEN MAKE THAT HAPPEN TO THE BEST EXTENT POSSIBLE! Besides, you and your ex are apart, and you can't change him. Your son will grow in wisdom as he gets older and see his father for who he is, but he will still ALWAYS LOVE HIM!!! And THAT should matter to you more than anything else!!! And by the way- how could you even think that another man, no matter how great you think he is, could replace your child's father??? Loser or not, your child's father IS his father figure and always should be. If he's a bad influence, then your job is to put more positive influences into your son's life to counter it, but don't ever think that they can replace his real father. Believe it or not, your ex has just as much right to influence HIS son as you do, for better or for worse! If he's such a bad guy, then ask yourself why you got with him and had a child with him in the first place! If you feel he's a bad influence, then all you can do is your own version of "damage control", but you have no right to try to remove or replace him as your son's father! BOTH of you have a right to teach the child your own values and opinions, no matter how bad either of you think the others' is! To do otherwise hurts your son, not your ex! Your son has the right to form his own opinions about his parents, so let him! You will thank yourself later for it, and so will he!

The real question you should ask is, "SHOULD I forbid my ex to see my son?" The answer, no matter how emotionally charged you are, no matter the circumstances, is a resounding "NO!"
    Just for fun, find out what your state's child support guidelines are and put yourself in your ex's shoes. If you're unemployed, then use what he makes when considering your income. Find out what you would be paying if it were YOU paying CS instead of him, and then add that to the rest of your normal bills and expenses. Your life would be very different financially, wouldn't it? Then your ex would call you a loser, and to top it all off, you would only get to see your flesh and blood, who loves you unconditionally, every other weekend...

Please send me a message if you'd like to question/comment/rebut...

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I have primary custody of my son. My ex was ordered to pay child support the first of each month. Well I hardly ever see a dime of it unless I call him and have to bitch him out to send the state a payment for child support. Even when he sends a payment it is only one weeks worth. He is already over $8000 behind. I've talked with the child support people, and they tell me as long as he is sending in some kind of payment, they can't really do anything. In the court order he gets to see my son every other weekend. When he has my son, he is always buying him toys and other crap he doesn't need. Anway..Can I not let my son go with him on his weekends until he at least starts paying what he should in child support each month? I know it is a court order he gets him every other weekend, but it is also a court order for him to pay child support!

It makes me sick to see children being used as pawns in what is nothing more than a financial war. You have a very skewed view of the issues at stake it seems. Its not about allowing your ex husband to see his son, its about allowing your son to have contact with his father and you seem intent on punishing your son because of the fathers actions. Have you not even considered this?

It seems from everything you have written that the best interests of your son are not being served by refusing to allow your son to have this contact. A court order allowing him to see his son every other weekend is disgusting and you should be allowing your son more contact with his father than the court has ordered. Blood is thicker than water and always has been no matter what kind of loser the father might be. There is a presumption under UK law and I believe the same applies in the US that contact is always within the best interests of the child even in situations where such contact is supervised.

Even if he isnt the most responsible of fathers how will he learn unless he has the opportunity to? A child needs their father just as much as a mother whatever the fathers faults might be and your comments about him having a new father figure just doesnt cut it. I agree that there might be a great deal to be contributed from your new partner/husband but he should never ever be a seen as a replacement.

Whether you like it or not your new partner will never have the same relationship with your son that his biological father will have given the opportunity. Its about balance and polarity that just doesnt occur with step parents.

Instead of dragging your ex husband over the coals why dont you try sitting him down and talking to him sensibly in a non confrontational manner and ask him to buy him something practical instead of toys if thats what you want. Also too if you are so jaundiced towards your ex husband on a public forum how are you behaving towards him with your son? Is the message you are sending to your son about his dad the correct and reasonable one? You should do all you can to allow your son to have respect for his Dad no matter how little he might deserve it at times.

One point that occured to me is that perhaps your ex husband is trying to compensate for what he perceives as you poisoning his son against him by buying him toys - he wont be the first father to do that and definately will not be the last.

If you persist with this idea you will hurt your son more than you or he will ever know so I suggest you put aside your petty differences and start investigating ways in which this tripartite arrangement is going to work otherwise your son will be the one to get hurt. Your son wants for nothing you say so I dont know what your problem is regarding his father. You have nothing to lose by allowing your son to have contact.

It always baffles me just who are the biggest children in these matrimonial disputes, the children or the parents?

Gary

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Just for fun, find out what your state's child support guidelines are and put yourself in your ex's shoes. If you're unemployed, then use what he makes when considering your income. Find out what you would be paying if it were YOU paying CS instead of him, and then add that to the rest of your normal bills and expenses. Your life would be very different financially, wouldn't it? Then your ex would call you a loser, and to top it all off, you would only get to see your flesh and blood, who loves you unconditionally, every other weekend...

I know a woman who ended up paying support to her employed husband. She was somewhat underemployed at the time. The judge awarded all but $50 bucks of what her 40 hour week paid. She asked the Judge how she would live and was told to get another job. She did.

If one family or the other is going to feed and house a child...the other spouse should pay some of the freight. Maybe the guy should have thought about that money coming out of his pocket before he didnt try to save his marrige.

My ex left me with my son after 16 years ....over "spiritual endagerment"... she never asked for any formal visitation but she did get alimony and a pretty hefty temporary support from me for a couple of years. She got about a third of my income and the value of half the assets. She was hit with child support of $40 a week (which we waived to offset alimony-it would have been a wash)

Walk out on your family cause for the hell of it and get paid........sounds fair to me.

Kids are smart...even if you dont bad mouth the ex ...the proof is in the pudding. My ex (still a JW in good standing) spent less than 30 hours with her child in 4 years. He never spent the night in her home. She went back to work and has been employed since she left...and never chipped in a nickle for college. Needless to say her son has nothing to do with her.

My wifes ex is a criminal. The state ingores the criminal acts he commits against his children and my wife. He abuses the system and "fairness" is granted only because he donated some sperm once upon a time. Sorry...but just because you could "f***ck once upon a time doesnt make you a dad. Sure, my wife spread her legs... but as time has proved she was victim of a con too.

She pays for her mistake every day. Only the "fairness" of a judge allows this scumbag to still abuse her and their child today. And some people think we need to protect this guys rights?

We figure about 2 more hearings or $8 grand from now we will gain full custody and lock this guy out. If the state would convict him of some of the criminal acts he commits we would get a slam dunk.

~Hill

• Forscher
    Forscher

To answer the question from one who has been there and done that,

Legally speaking, no you cannot do that. Visitation is a legally separate issue from child support payment and you cannot link it to compliance with the court order. However, it happens everyday.

I married a woman with children from a previous marraige. Her ex often did not pay his child support. Yet he expected the children to be ready to visit with him whenever he wanted. The papers specified that he had to give a "reasonable" notice of his intention to get the children. His definition of "reasonable notice" was knocking on our door and demanding the children be handed over to him immediately. If we weren't there (after all, we hadn't received previous notice and had lives of our own) he would go to the house of one of the elders in my congregation and complain that we were trying to keep him from seeing his children. His complaints resulted in our being marked by the congregation because we were denying "a brother" his rights. Never mind he was not paying his child support, his rights were more important.

The idiot finally took us to court to "enforce" his visitation rights. He wasn't honest with his lawyer about what was going on and paid for it dearly in the court. We blind-sided his lawyer with the facts and were also able to put his non-payment of child support on the table as well. He was forced to pay some of the arrears that very day and specific days and times were ordered as to when he could pick up his children for a visit. Since he didn't get his way in court, he eventually stopped picking them up altogether.

I understand that his lawyer took him back to the office and reamed him out about having lied to his own lawyer. He also informed him that his representation as a lawyer was at a permanent end and to find somebody else to represent him.

Forscher

• berylblue
    berylblue
    In my state deadbeat parents go to jail, making a feeble effort is not enough. They also get a record for not paying child support.

Gee, now THAT makes a LOT of sense. Put him in a place where he can earn NO money and that will fix things.

Are we talking about a child's best interest in your state, or about revenge?

• berylblue
    berylblue

Some excellent, sage advice in this thread...

Funny thing about advice. We ask for it, then keep asking until we get the answer we already decided we wanted anyway. At least, that's what I always did.

To the oringal poster: I wish you all the best, no matter what you decide and continue to be the good mother I am certain you are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit