Do you consider your time as a JW wasted time??

by karter 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Yes! that really is an under statement!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here are the benefits I got out of being a witless:

For that, I had to waste more than 2,000 hours just on boasting sessions and a like amount in field circus. I wasted probably $200 on accessories that had no other use aside the field misery. Plus I donated probably between $500 and 1,000 (during my time in) toward the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, and probably indirectly influenced others to put in an amount that could be even higher. I had to throw away a good number of records, psychic items including horoscopes, Christmas decorations, and perfectly good shirts (except they were not white) for the tower. I had headaches from not getting enough sleep on the days when I had those boasting sessions when I had to work that night, plus from the a$$emblies.

In all, I did not get anything but a trip to the Ostracism Wasteland for becoming one of Je-Cockroach-Jizz-Hovah's Witlesses. Hopefully, I can at least attempt to make up for some of the damage I did (and had a share in influencing others to do) while I was in, by helping to expose the religion.

• justhuman
    justhuman

YES I DO....

WT HAS RUINED MY LIFE

BROKE MY FAMILY

TOOK MY CHILDREN

I DO CONSIDER WASTED TIME THE 32 YEARS I WAS IN THAT CULT

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I do consider it a total waste of time, a waste of such precious and valuable years. Nothing good came out of it for me personally. Some might say that "you wouldn’t be the person that you are now" and point to the positive things that the bible teaches you. But I think that I would be very much like I am anyway. Just not so fu*ked up.

If it wasn’t for religion my life would have been a whole lot better.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yes, a huge waste of time. I almost want to go back to each and every door and apologize for wasting THEIR time.

• FairMind
    FairMind

No, I don’t feel it was a waste of time.

1. As a JW I quit smoking 35 years ago, otherwise I’m sure I would have died years ago.

2. I stopped cheating on my wife.

3. I learned to be poised when talking to a group of people and to be more organized/disciplined in my approach to work.

4. I have learned a lot of Bible teachings and have great faith in God and Jesus.

5. I have distrust for any organization claiming to be God’s chosen one.

6. I’ve learned a lot about how peoples minds can be led through mind control techniques.

7. I now know what cognitive dissonance is.

8. I’m much more cautious when it comes to trusting people, especially those with power.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good Question!

I used to - when I first left. But then I reflected about the 'gains' associated with having the disciplined way of life we lived. I never did the youthful things that lead my brother to much pain and his early death [drugs, alcohol, STD's]. I missed the opportunity to get an education beyond high-school, probably my deepest regret. I passed on careers that could have lead to early retirement, etc.

I met my dear wife in the 'truth'. That can not be discounted. I became a polished speaker. Nothing wrong with that. I appreciate the time I have now - probably more than others around me do in some ways.

There are regrets - but not so much about the time I invested. I left due to the falsehood and lack of love - not because I felt robbed of time. Many of us have changed jobs or wives or homes or locations in this life - we could sit around wishing we had made such changes much earlier - but all of our experiences in life make for a collage that makes us what we are. I try to value that where I can.

Jeff

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

It wasted my youth. I did not get an education when I was younger. Now I am in my 30's trying to play catch up and getting an education and starting a career this late is kind of hard. However that being said. I am not going to sit around and bitch and moan about it. That does nothing but waste even more precious time. The hell with it.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

I gained things from the experience. I can't lie. But if there
    was a way to obtain the good things without going through the drama,
    I would have done it differently.

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

Mostly, because the things I did to improve myself (stop using bad language, try to live a cleaner lifestyle, etc...) were things I did for me & my family, not because the WTS said to. I didn't have any nasty habits or get drunk all the time so I'm still pretty much who I was before I got into the bORG. The one thing I can credit to being in the bORG is that my bible knowledge has improved and I have come to realize that most people are no more "enlightened" than I am. I used to consider myself a "spiritual dunce" and that I just didn't "get it" like most people. Now I know that there's really nothing to "get", just live peacefully and be nice! I consider all the time spent in field circus and at meetings was a waste, with the exception of the meetings where I sat there reading the bible for me instead of listening to the talk & WT lesson or service meeting B$. The best thing I learned while being a JW was that they're deceptive, but that only took about 2 months for me to come to that conclusion, so I wish I could have the other 7 years back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit