~Beloved landmarks from your hometown~

by FlyingHighNow 66 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I was almost seven, we moved from the gulf coast town of Mobile, Alabama to Morgan City, Louisiana. On Brashear Avenue, which was also Highway 90, the Gulf Coast Hwy, going towards the now old Atchafalaya Bridge, there was a shrimp boat in the middle of the road called The Spirit of Morgan City. At Christmas time they decorated it with a Santa on the front and his reindeer out front, as if it were Santa's mode of transportation through cajun country, rather than his regular sleigh.

This was one of the coolest landmarks of any small town I have lived in. This picture is not the best view of Spirit of Morgan City. What landmarks do you remember fondly from your hometown? Share pics if you can. I hope this pic will show up. If not, I will find a way to post it.

Morgan City - Shrimp boat The Spirit of Morgan City's stern

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

this is where I grew up.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here is another one. And this picture doesn't show the entire building. This is the wackiest, coolest library I have ever seen. It's in Wyoming, MI. Andy and I lived there for two years. We practically lived here. There is a cafe, gift shop, fountain with water, a revolving door, a huge teen's area and separate kids' area, a huge quiet reading room with fire place and floor to ceiling windows that look out at a landscaped lawn and woods. It's lovely to watch the seasons change from that room. You can take your chosen books into the room, which is soundproof, or choose from the many magazines and periodicals they have inside the room. There are comfortable leather chairs and tables with chairs to sit at and read.

I wish I could find a picture to show the other end of the library. It looks like part of huge, otherworldly almost Jetsons meet the beatnicks ship. The inside of the library looks like beatnick late 1950's. Very hip. Very cool.

Wyoming Branch.

• IP_SEC
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wilda, I can't see your picture, only an X. Try finding a pic on the internet and then copy and paste it here. Otherwise, if the pic is from your PC, choose the paper clip above your post in the post window and upload the pic and then attach it to your post.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

IP, thank you, those are beautiful. Can you tell us about the pictures? Where they are and what?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Sorry, that would be the crystal clear waters of the Frio river.

And ofcourse my old stomping grounds of chalk bluff

alt

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Throughout the years, books on skyscrapers have often failed to include Cleveland's Terminal Tower in the text and pictures. I don't understand why this is true. Have architecture experts forgotten that at 708 feet the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world (outside of New York) from 1930 to the mid-1950's? It was also one of the largest building complexes in the world when it was constructed, and led the way for other massive complexes such as Rockefeller Center in NYC. Besides this, the 52 story Terminal Tower is the most beautiful building I have ever seen. Its retail center in the former Union Station in the Tower only adds to its gracefulness. The skyscraper is so respected in Cleveland that the BP Tower (1986) across Public Square, was purposely built to be shorter in height, out of respect to the Terminal Tower (though the Key Tower was built to 946 feet in 1991). It was also the most important development the Greater Cleveland area has ever seen. Shaker Heights, perhaps one of America's most well known suburbs, was developed as the main destination for the rail service from the Terminal Tower." -Mike Harper

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That is beautiful, all lit up at night like that. I have not been to Cleveland, but driving on 80 on my way to Connecticut, I always loved the radio stations from Cleveland. Thank you for the history of the building.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

The Beautiful Mt. Rainier...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit