Oprah's new Book Club selection - A New Earth - anyone here participating?

by poppers 18 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

About 10 days ago she announced that Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth is her latest book club selection. Tolle will be appearing with her on a live internet feed for 10 consecutive Mondays starting March 3. This is a great opportunity for those who are looking for the ineffable "something" else that they find lacking in their usual pursuits... This isn't the usual kind of book that she promotes. It isn't a novel; it's about waking up to your true nature, something I reference repeatedly on this board. If anyone remembers JamesThomas, he referenced the same thing as I, and is great admirer of Tolle. If you are interested you have to register as a member of her site as well as reserve a seat for the class. There have been over 100,00 who have done that already.... http://www.oprah.com/index.jhtml

• Dagney
    Dagney

I'm going to.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

that's interesting poppers - I do have that book by Tolle. I think it would be very interesting to participate. thanks for the link

• poppers
    poppers

Don't forget to register at her site and then register for the class. Do it early. There is already a lot of discussion going on.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I was thinking about getting the book and reading it...not sure if I will participate on the forum at oprah.com. Has anyone read the book yet and is it worth getting?

• poppers
    poppers

I read it a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. It expands on the basic ideas of his book The Power of Now. That book changed my life. If you are unfamiliar with awakening these books may be difficult to read and understand because it takes a shift in consciousness to get to what he is talking about. That shift is away from thinking to the underlying consciousness. There is no telling who it will "speak" to and who it won't. Some people will have a hard time accepting this kind of teaching because it challenges you to question what you believe about yourself, and what you identify with. People with rigid religious beliefs tend to cling to them, and are likely to reject this teaching without really examining it with an open mind. For those who are ready to step beyond what they are familiar with may find something truly remarkable. I certainly did.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I just signed up for the discussion. I read Power of Now a while back on James Thomas' recommendation. I had just finished reading "A New Earth" shortly before Oprah announced it as her pick.

I work in a bookstore and see people coming in droves to pick up this book. While I want to be optimistic that these people will "get it", part of me sees yet more people getting on the Oprah bandwagon, much like they did with "The Secret". Awakening consciousness is not a fad. Let's hope the message doesn't get lost in the hooplah.

tall penguin

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Oprah hoopla, say that fast 3 times. Sorry I have nothing to add of import and that just made me laugh. I will check into this though. Thanks.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I read the book because of Oprah and I thought it was great. I plan to read it again and again. I feel it is an important step for me on my spritual path. Not everyone will get it, but many more will read it and get it than otherwise because of Oprah. I don't see the harm.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Just putting a sticky note here for later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit