Oprah's new Book Club selection - A New Earth - anyone here participating?

by poppers 18 Replies latest jw friends

• onesong
    onesong

A wonderful book, have read it a couple of times now. If you have time it's great to get the audio version and listen repeatedly. Eckhart's peaceful presence in his delivery will bring you to a quiet, still place that is so valuable to get to in this world.

Also check out his Findhorn retreat recording as well.

I loved how in "A New Earth" he very gently shows some of the fallacies of organized, controlling religion.

• poppers
    poppers

Yes, the audio versions are very very good. There is something that you get from listening or watching him that is immediate and direct, and goes right past the thinking mind, which is what this is all about.. If you get on the discussion board you'll see a lot of people who are really interested and a few who are adamantly opposed, thinking it is of the devil. It's mostly the Christian fundamentalists who are feeling so threatened by this that they are unwilling to really see what this is about. Most who comment negatively haven't even read the book, they are just set firmly in their way thinking that if it isn't directly from the Bible it is from Satan.

• Satanus
    Satanus

This must be that grand conspiracy of peace that everyone in the world, except tula and junctionguy are about to fall into. Save us quickly, tula. Ooops, sorry, it's already too late for me. I downloaded the audio version on torrent.

S

• Dagney
    Dagney

Picked up the book last night. I'll be traveling to Florida so I'll try to get started reading on the flight.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Yes, it's very interesting to watch the forums unfold. You can see the fundies in action. It's funny, a customer picked up the book the other day and said, "I thought Oprah was a Christian. Why can't she just be a Christian? Why does she have to get involved with all this other stuff?"

I explained that the book isn't about religion, it's about spirituality. She didn't get it. But she said she'd read it anyways.

I started re-reading it last night. I get different aha moments each time I read Tolle's work. It's simple but so very profound.

tall penguin

• Dagney
    Dagney
    It's funny, a customer picked up the book the other day and said, "I thought Oprah was a Christian. Why can't she just be a Christian? Why does she have to get involved with all this other stuff?" I explained that the book isn't about religion, it's about spirituality. She didn't get it.

Oh dear, that is the problem isn't it...religiousity vs spirituality. **sigh**

I don't do very well in following programs so this will be a challenge for me. I think I am rebelling after years and years of the JW program. But I certianly am going to give this a try.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I listened to the audio version of "Now" while tripping for two weeks straight while on Ketamine in Mexico. I liked it for back round and could understand what he was saying while comeing down from the trip, it a very strange disembodied world on Ketamine.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I got it two nights ago, already half way through. It is not what I expected, and I am glad for that. I like it, to me it seems very Taoist, but easier to read than the Tao Te Ching. I can see why Fundy Christians would feel threatened by it, but I wonder how many of them have actually read it. I will be getting the Power Of Now next, but I'll stick to green tea as my botanical of choice.

Very interesting book, easy to read.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

My wife tried to get on last night. Not enough bandwidth.

She is reading the book.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit