If you had a Time Machine would you stop yourself being a Witness???

by Witness 007 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would like to go back and sabotage Plato's effort to develop the platform that allowed man to dominate man to his injury first. Aristotle would prevail, and then Jesus would have been able to focus on building instead of teaching. The original cult (the Catholic church) would never have been able to get off the ground, and the Protestants would have had nothing to protest. And, that would have left the founders of the Watchtower Society without a platform on which to base their cult. They would have had to either create value or starve, and either way the Watchtower Society would never have got off the ground.

And then none of us would have ever become involved with the witlesses.

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Well, I was raised in the truth, but after I was appointed MS, I have thought about stopping being a witness, but I waited too long, I missed out couple of very hot dates with worldly women and weak JW sisters. They showed me interest, I regretted turning them down.

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

I just told my husband a few days ago that if I could go back in time and stop the sister who came to our door back in the early 1970s and started a study with my mother, I would do it in a heartbeat. That wish is borne of the frustration of not being able to speak with my family now, and especially not being able to speak with them about how I really feel about the Witnesses without definitely labeling myself an apostate, which would alienate them even further (if such a thing is possible since I don't hear from them now unless someone in the family has died). My parents are such good JWs they have always judged their children based on what form of full-time service they were or were not in, or, how much time we spent in service. They also judge us on how slim we are, but I can't blame that on the JWs.

I would've gone to college instead of spending up my youth pioneering and in Bethel, and more importantly I would've had children. I am working out a way to go to college now, but as for the other wish, that ship has already sailed.

Ladylove: Congratulations!! Keep up the good work!

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

At a minimum, I would have used the initial study as
    a springboard to an intense spiritual awakening, not
    a road to JW baptism and pioneering, and
    ministerial servitude.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Nope. I like who I am too much to change it.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Why not go back and stop Russel from starting the cult to start off with?

• MMae
    MMae

I would have to answer, "Definately not." JWs came into my life at a time I desperately needed spiritual guidance. As an incest victim I was headed straight towards risky sexual behavior, probably prostitution, drugs and drink - all at the ripe age of 11. The JWs were the loving family that I didn't have at home. And thank God, there wasn't any perverts in my congration that saw me as an easy mark. I just can't imagine what that would have done to me.

But I'll tell you what I would do different: A) I'd have listened to my high school teachers and gone to college on scholarships instead of being 100% certain that pioneering and marriage were all my dreams fulfilled! B) I would have done anything to keep from moving back to my husband's hometown after we had made a hard but briefly happy life together away from (for the most part) his ...........(I don't think I can use any of those adjectives)........uber-dubber family. C) And if that didn't result in a reasonably happy family life for us and our sons, I would have gotten away from the marriage and sought help for my children much, much sooner than I did the first time around. D) And if that course of action resulted in my leaving the WTS sooner - Well, AMEN!

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

No doubt.

• Free
    Free

YES, Having been a part of that CULT "IS" the biggest regret of my life so far.

I would go back and bitch slap my friend who got me involved. Whom themself stopped only after about six months. They still feel bad that I ended up spending the most important years of my life(my twentys) wrapped up in it. In reality though, I was fully aware of the issues and hold Only myself to blame but yes, if it were possible I would go back.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

The regrets I have stemming from this religion are legion. If I could I would, but there's no point in dwelling on things I can't change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit