Has anyone read the book 'The Shining'?

by lfcviking 17 Replies latest jw friends

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

I'm not much of a reader really, but I'm halfway through reading this book at the moment and i am really enjoying it. Stephen King has such a wild imagination, he really is a truly talented man.

I loved the film aswell, i think Jack Nicholson's acting in this film is sublime. Jack's acting combined with King's imagination, and Stanley Kubrick's directing combine to form a true masterpiece.

Any other fans of this book/film?

LFCv

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I read the book in high school or soon after. Loved the book, not that crazy about the Stanley Kubrick movie - too cartoonish but scary fun. Loved the mini series that came out in 1997, more true to the book http://imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

• Tara
    Tara

When I was about 20 I started to read it and got so scared I threw it across the room. Stephen King creeps me out.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

The Shining is the only Steven King book I've ever read - and I read it while I was still a witness.

I tore it up just before I started pioneering but still read quite a few pages as I was tearing them into the trash.

-Aude.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I read it when I was about 16 and I enjoyed it. I haven't read any of his books in a long time, however the doctor I work for has given me a couple of new books by him; one being his newest Duma Key I need to start.

LRG

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I've never read the book and probablly never will. I have heard that Stephen King hated Stanley Kubric's film and felt that he ruined the story. I loved Kubrick's version. So I probablly would think that Stephen King's book would ruin the story. (Even though he wrote the original story.) I thought it was the most beautiful movie I had ever seen. Everything about the movie was perfect, the camera work, the airial shots of the hotel, the colors of the hotel, the actors, the story, the musical score - perfect. And just scary enough. I am surprised that anyone would call it "cartoonish"! If anything I would think King's version would be cartoonish; shrub animals come to life, hotel exploding. But I also like cartoons.

• seawolf
    seawolf

I loved the original "The Shining" ! One of my favorite movies. HERE'S JOHNNY!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    When I was about 20 I started to read it and got so scared I threw it across the room.

I haven't read it... but I hear that if it gets too scary putting the book in the freezer helps ;) This apparently also works when Little Women becomes too sad.

Jackie

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I haven't read it either. I tried to read a couple of Stephen King books... The Dreamcatcher & Needful Things. Couldn't finish them. Not that I don't like scary... I'm reading World War Z (Zombie) right now and it's really scary! Great read... You should give it a try.

I think it's just Spehen Kings writing style that I find alittle borish.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

love the movie,love the book...mr king was a crazyman once,but since his accident,he has mellowed down...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit