Has anyone read the book 'The Shining'?

by lfcviking 17 Replies latest jw friends

• DublDipd
    DublDipd

If you liked "The Shining", try "Pet Cemetary". I read a lot, and that is the scariest book that I've ever read.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

In my opinion 'IT' is his best book and 'Needful things' is his best movie adaptation...

Just my opinion (I thought the plant animals were the scariest part of 'the shining')

I have almost all of his books. Takes a whole dang shelf!

• dinah
    dinah

I read the shining when I was still in high school. It was scary, but it was great.

Needful Things is my one of my favorites, it made me laugh out loud at times too. My sense of humor must be kinda black.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I have'nt read "The Shinning" but I did read one I called "The Dim dark boring" a.k.a the Bible. {Not funny} Great movie, Jack Nicolson in his prime...Kubrick's weirdness is cool!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Saw the movie, didn't read the book. I've been to The Stanly hotel in Estes Park Co, where Stephen King stayed and wrote part of the book. I did read The Stand in the 70's. At the time I had the flu, really bad (couldn't even walk), and the book was about an experimental flu virus that got out and killed 97% of the earths population in a few weeks. I felt like I was living the book. Very surreal.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I am surprised that anyone would call it "cartoonish"! If anything I would think King's version would be cartoonish; shrub animals come to life, hotel exploding. But I also like cartoons

Well I guess you would have to read the book to understand. I've read it and seen both the movie and the mini series. The movie, some major changes but did keep the general feel of the book with the exception of some over the top acting on Jack and Shelly's part (I never did like Shelly as the wife - too mousey). The mini series was more true to the book and in my humble opinion a lot more unsettling and scary. But that's just me.

Josie

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I've read most of King's work (except for the Dark Tower series). The Shining wasn't one that kept me enthralled at the time, though I think I could go back and read it again today and better appreciate it. I also could not quite get the hang of Salem's Lot, in book nor in film (either of the versions). i think I understand them intellectually, but didn't connect with them emotionally very well.

I thought the creepiest King books were Carrie and Fire Starter, perhaps because of the combination of girls with spooky powers.

Dolores Claiborne was my favorite adapataion of a King novel to film.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Dolores Claiborne was my favorite adapataion of a King novel to film.

Read the book, saw the movie, loved both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit