Would You Trust A JW To Be Honest More Than The Average Person?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Not really. One sometimes gives them credit for honesty in trivial matters, but in general, they are NOT honest. They refuse to listen to opposing views, yet proclaim that their beliefs should be accepted without question. Most are very pious (see below). It was recently discussed here how relationships among JW's outside the KH, employment, hiring for services etc. are fraught with squabbles and accusations of dishonesty. Main Entry: piĀ·ous
    Function:adjective
    Pronunciation: 'pi-&s
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin pius
    1 a: marked by or showing reverence for deity and devotion to divine worship b: marked by conspicuous religiosity <a hypocrite-a thing all pious words and uncharitable deeds -- Charles Reade> 2: sacred or devotional as distinct from the profane or secular : RELIGIOUS <a pious opinion>
    3: showing loyal reverence for a person or thing : DUTIFUL
    4 a: marked by sham or hypocrisy b: marked by self-conscious virtue : VIRTUOUS
    5: deserving commendation : WORTHY <a pious effort>

• undercover
    undercover

All in all, I don't expect any religious person, JW or other, to be more honest than non-religious people.

I judge JWs individually when it comes to trusting them. I know several JWs in the construction trades. Out of that group there are a couple that I trust and have actually hired to do work. There are others that I won't consider at all because of shady dealings in their past and because of less than a glowing reputation for good work.

It comes down to not only honesty but excellence in work. I'd rather pay more for a better housecleaner from a bonded company than pay less for a JW (or friend or neighbor) who does a shitty job.

• zanex
    zanex

no....

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

For straightforward issues like opportunistically stealing small amounts of cash while cleaning my house, I think the majority of JWs are well-programmed enough that they can be "trusted", perhaps slightly more so than a random sample of the population. But for any issue with any level of moral complexity, not at all. JWs often work cash in hand jobs or claim unemployment while "pioneering". They are trained to go to people's houses and lie to them (e.g. "We're not trying to convert people") and a JW elder told me outright that he will teach things that he doesn't believe. So, in any truly important sense, my opinion is that they're not especially honest at all, probably much less so than the average.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Funky - " ...JWs often work cash in hand jobs... "

I think most everyone does.

• undercover
    undercover

I think most everyone does.

So that makes JWs not any more honest than anyone else, right?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was a witness, I was honest. I am still honest. I have cultivated good habits and am a slave to them. I escaped the tower in 83. I have seen enough to know that not all witnesses are honest. I think its hit and miss with people.

When I was 18, I was told not to go to college or get an education. But the sons of the elders who were telling me that from the platform went and got educations.

I think thats dishonest.

Witnesses have scamed people out of money with fraudulent scemes and gone to the penetenterry. Theres really no way of knowing whats in ones heart.

I talked to a co worker about his belief in God and the bible. He says he believes because he doesnt want to go to hell.

Some witnesses believe or act on their beliefs because they dont want to get disfelloshiped and loose their family.

For some that will make them honest. For others it will make them crafty and sneaky.

I have evolved over the years. The person that I am today, is honest with my neighbor and fellowman probaly due to Amslovs heirarchy of needs. Most of my needs are met so I dont have to scam or cheat.

If they were not met. My schaming and cheating would be regulated by the consequences to be paid for getting caught.

I work in a jail. Jail is where all the dumb criminals are. The smart ones are out scaming like George W.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In general yes the yare honest and trustworthy. However on JCs I have known some to absolutely lie through their teeth.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yes, I asked around and it is agreed that hand jobs are only done for cash.

• Bourne
    Bourne

No. People are people. It depends on their character. There are both honest and dishonest people, JW or no.

Bourne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit