Would You Trust A JW To Be Honest More Than The Average Person?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BFD
    BFD

No.

BFD

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

No. Especially when I was asked last month to lie to a bank for a Witness. Funny that it's ok to ask someone to lie and do your dirtywork, but not to do your own. Pretty corrupt ! Pitiful as well.

Edited to say: now that I understand how theocratic warfare works, I do not trust any faith.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Absolutely not. Honesty is a sign of good character. And I've known plenty of JWs who DID NOT have good character.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think they are no more honest than the average worldly person. They might think it brings praise and honor to Jehovah if they turn in that $2,000. I bet the average apostate would just as readily have returned that wallet--to prove that apostates are not all dishonest, crooked thieves (chances are better that the average apostate would be more likely to return the money because those are the honest hearted ones that see the tower's lies).

And even if the witlesses were in fact more honest with your money, I think most people would rather have some petty item stolen than having their children molested. A dishonest worldly person might steal some cash, or a pen, or some CDs, or an iPod, or something like that that is going to cost between a dollar and $500 to replace. I don't think too many people would volitionally have their children (that they care about) molested for a dinky $500.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It depends what you mean by "honest" and "the average person"

In the illustration that Min gave us, then yes . They unlikely to steal from your housekeeping money. If you were to take a random group on a bus then you would probably find a group of dubs to be potentially more honest if ,say they they had the opportunity to get away and not pay a fare. Then again so would any group of motivated Church members.

If honesty means speaking the truth, keeping a confidence no matter what, being willing to face honestly a question that you posed them - then, No.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I think tales of their 'honesty' are greatly exaggerated. Never mind the anecdotal stories about returning lost wallets that you hear at assemblies.

Finally-Free,

So, they threatened you with DF if you took a thieving brother to court? Really? If I were victimized by a major theft the way you were I would certainly bring this person to the authorities. In fact, I once urged a 'worldly' person who was victimized to do just that. The only way I would let a theft slip if it were minor - like they took a couple of 20s from my wallet. But I would tell the person off. Anything major - I call the police.

LHG

• Odrade
    Odrade

No. IME JWs are more dishonest than the average person.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I know MANY rich Witnesses who pioneer regularly and would steal five bucks from an orphan. I worked with a rich Elder Witness who verbally promised me a few thousand $$$ if I stuck by him. We were brothers worked together for many years I can trust him right? Wrong, you see Jehovah is one thing but Cash is another. When it came time to pay the thousands he promised turned into a couple hundred...with no written contract why would he pay me...Brotherly love? Moral principles?? Fear of Jah? Nope!! Our partnership was over I never felt so discusted in another person before. He made worldly people look good... I do think he was one nail in my faiths coffin.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

The way I see it, real honesty depends on Fear of God, but how many have a real Fear Of God, most seem to feel comfortable knowing that being in the ‘truth’ is good enough and they are automatically Right with God.

It’s a like the Pharisees and other Jews, just thinking that your ‘Gods people’ is good enough and there comfortable with that.

As for me, I wouldn’t trust any JW tradesman because they try to get away with bad work where as if they did bad work to a non-JW they can be reported or taken to court, a JW can’t do that and the JW Tradesman seem to take advantage of that.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Absolutely not. JWs are very selective in their ethics and morality.

LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit