what kind of art do you like?

by Hortensia 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Paintings, I mean. I'm not looking for answers from an art major - just what kind of art do you like to have around you. What's on your walls that you like seeing every day? What art do you have on your walls that gives you a sense of pleasure?

For someone who knows zilch about art, I have a lot of paintings. Nowadays my favorites are plein air eucalyptus art (I have liked it for years, just found out what it is called.) It's a California thing - when I was a kid there were hundreds of miles of eucalyptus trees, a hundred years old. Now mostly plowed down for developments. But in the early 20th century a lot of folks in California liked to paint the eucalyptus trees, when they weren't painting beaches. There's something very attractive about the irregular ungainly shape of eucalyptus trees and the colors are soothing greys, greens and tans. AND, it's cheap - you can still pick up very well done eucalyptus art for a reasonable price.

Your turn - what's on your walls?

• Twitch
    Twitch

Giger

Haida, Cree and Ojibway

fractals

Darth Vader

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I like fractals too - so interesting. I know what Cree and Ojibway are, and Darth Vader. Not sure about the other two.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I have a very weird painting in my living room that will eventually go in my bedroom. It's a plant growing in a pond with a koi swimming by. The colors are purple, butterscotch,raspberry, teal and a bit of orange. My walls are butterscotch, looks like stucco.

My kitchen is a deep periwinkle. The picture is an Italian village on the water with a few boats. The houses are the same colors as above with purple mountains behind the water.

I love Monet and Van Gogh.

Eventually my livivng room will be filled with my own photographs.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Haida is from the northern west coast.

H.R. Giger is a Swiss artist whose style is rather goth industrial.

M.C. Escher is a Dutch artist whose perspectives and visual puzzles tickle my brain (see avatar)

Darth Vader was created by Syd Mead, not the Dark Side however he sees no royalties.

Fractals are what god paints when he's dreaming

Just a couple favs. Not much for art really.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Haida, monet, kliemet, psychedelia, fractals, central/south american shamanic, kleirwien, mandalas...

S

• Quentin
    Quentin

Still lifes...western, Remington, Russell...have a nice Beckendorff print of a bobcat...most of ours is in storage...also enjoy work done by locals...and good photoshop artwork....

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

OMG - This is the print in my kitchen.

Howard Behrens Antibes VARNISHED  - NO LONGER IN PRINT - LAST ONES!!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Dorit Levi-Very interesting style and I love the colors and shapes of her art. Music theme goes over well in our household:) Its contemporary, ethnic, musical, kind of cubist, I guess, but the first impression I got was that it looked very medieval (very round fat musical kind of people) Have a look! http://www.doritlevi.com/

I fully intend to get some of her other work. Right now I only have one-Merry Music.

I love Monet, Renoir, Manet. Frenchy names:) Modigliani is interesting.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    What's on your walls that you like seeing every day? What art do you have on your walls that gives you a sense of pleasure?

come to think of it... I don't have any art. No paintings on the walls, no sculptures on the table, nothing.

I don't really like art.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit