Being a Pro-Life Atheist

by B_Deserter 58 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I wouldn't want children raised in loveless environments either, but as there are couples who cannot have their own children, they seem to fill a role here, and I don't think there are hardly any of them. If the problem is love, then the mother with none can give the child to someone with plenty to offer.

Who gets to determine if that home is loving or not? Social workers?

The child would be the only one to truly know.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, thank you for the cited sources!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I believe a fetus less than two months is a potential human.

Tertullian: homo est qui venturus est. (he who will become man is man)

What makes a fetus at 55 days less human than one at 57? When do we become distinct? Without theological considerations the answer is at fertilization. Every one of us started like this. At one point, there were two separate cells from the mother and the father. After fertilization, there is a new and genetically distinct human individual. After conception one is not able to say it's just a part of the mother because now it has it's own genetics, hence it is unique. A person is a person; no matter how small.

No. At the same time, numerous amounts of the "born" do not have any say so on their own fate, either.

You are right. That is why the law steps in when necessary to protect them.

Burn

• beksbks
    beksbks

Burn,

I don't think it is a question of individual moral compass, but of the most basic right, right to life. The government's most basic responsibility is to safeguard the rights of its members. If it does not do so, it is abdicating.

So you advocate Universal Health Care? That's great, I'm glad to hear it.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Who gets to determine if that home is loving or not? Social workers?

The child would be the only one to truly know.

Some things would be a matter of common sense. A beaten child given scraps to eat would need a better life, because that treatment isn't loving.

Emotional effects can be noticed too. Friends, teachers, etc may be able to see the signs.

If things are really so bad and no one happens to notice, there is still the option of suicide. But after noticing the people here complaining about their loveless lives haven't actually killed themselves, I'm presuming living with it is better than not living at all. Grown adults are quite capable of looking outside the family for good relationships.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So you advocate Universal Health Care? That's great, I'm glad to hear it.

Not at all.

As for the two rights (right to life and UHC), the first is a negative right (the right to not be murdered) and the second, UHC, is a positive right (the right to have something done for you). A positive right imposes a moral obligation on a person to do something for someone, while a negative right merely obliges others to refrain from interfering with someone's attempt to do something.

Negative rights are the basic unalienable rights. We could say you have the right to new shoes every 6 months (and that they must be provided for you), that would be a positive right.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If things are really so bad and no one happens to notice, there is still the option of suicide. But after noticing the people here complaining about their loveless lives haven't actually killed themselves, I'm presuming living with it is better than not living at all. Grown adults are quite capable of looking outside the family for good relationships.

I agree. We see the statements here that it is better not to be born than to have a hard life, but I do not see many people killing themselves over things like these. My wife had a terrible childhood, and was treated as unwanted and subjected to many terrible abusive things that I will not detail here. It suffices to say that she had a pretty loveless childhood. It took years to clear up the wreckage, however she is a strong, successful, productive, and happy adult. She is a good mother. I am very lucky to share my life with her. Abortion would have denied me the gift of her person, and my son the gift of life. A whole chain would have been broken.

Burn

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

While researching the Presidential candidates last night I happened upon a pro-life web site that contained actual pictures of aborted fetuses, as far up as 24 weeks. At 7 weeks there was no mistaking that it was a human. They even had feet and hands, even though the whole fetus was smaller than a quarter. It got worse from there. I lost a baby at 6 weeks. I am pro-life. I draw the line at when it is actually implanted in the womb. Many people miscarry earlier than that and never even know they are pregnant.Could they even be called "pregnant"?

I would never force my opinions on someone else. I have had friends who have had abortions and I held my tongue. But I think if people saw these pictures they MAY feel differently about abortion.

momz

Here is the link: They are extremely graphic, be forewarned. http://priestsforlife.org/images/

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I agree to disagree.

I guess one's own view on abortion depends on their own view on suicide and torturous living.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit